Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 02:01 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,233,407 times

Advertisements

Ukrainian army destroyed a bridge near the checkpoint militias.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 PM

238 posts, read 198,458 times
Krasnogorovka today, more freedom, democracy and "real terrorists" 18+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnf0jTYyvQ

Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena822 View Post
If putin will send here murderers, all this circus will finish, but he didn't. And Ukrainian nazis have no right to shoot us or russian people on their territory. You didn't hear about mass murders after they come to Slavyansk? Maybe you were not listening?
Selena, can you tell more about it please, because it's difficult to separate truth from fiction, ( particularly when I am talking about official Russian channels.)
Of course when I am watching this video, I have a bad feeling that you are right.
These people from Ukrainian army come across as invaders in Slavaynsk, not "liberation army" as they claim to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDEVc1_aIXs

Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss Kiss Bang Bang View Post
[removed quote]

If Ukrainian army really is this responsible for this, then you can simply see what happens when terrorists use people as a live shield. Let's remember what happened in Chechnya when Russians bombed city of Grozny when terrorist scumbags where hiding there.
Yet it has to be noted, that at least so-called Russian "liberals" were loudly opposing such approach of the government, the killing of civilians, be that Chechens or Russians alike ( and plenty of them have been killed and displaced in that conflict.) As far as I know - you won't find anything similar in Western/Central Ukraine - their citizens are either full with glee, or prefer to ignore the deaths of civilians in the Eastern part of the country. And these are the very people that supposedly profess "European values" and claim that they are "totally different from Russians."
The only exception in this situation as far as I can see are those in the army who were sent to the East against their will, who refuse to shoot the civilians, but even they are risking death from the squads of nationalists.

Quote:
But anyway - I acknowledge that people that are responsible for this family's death, should be punished furiously. Simply not acceptable, no matter which side it was.
Oh, but they won't be. See, those who bomb the civilians have support of Washington, so they are the "good guys."

Quote:
What I think of the war happening there, is that it is very hard to form a well-founded opinion about the situation there because of lack of objective information and in some cases - lack of any information at all in relation with some events happening there.
The only thing that I understand about the situation is that the overthrowing of the governments leads to civil wars, and in case of Russia at least - foreign interventions. That's what history is telling me.

Quote:
Considering so called "People's repuclic of Donetsk army" - I believe there are three fractions of this formation.
The most important are mercenaries from Russia. They are well trained professionals, they are capable to organise and coordinate people.
That may be so, but the key words here are to "organize and coordinate people," hence without "people" Russian mercenaries can't do much. Therefore "people" come as the first thing, not second.

Quote:
The second fraction are mercenaries or simply criminals with Ukrainian passport.
They either fight for money or simply loot cities and towns. There are numerous testimonies about looting and robberies that were commited by "people with ak-47 and masks on their faces" in Lugansk, Donetsk, Slovyansk etc. Igor Strelkov and other leaders, ofcourse, publically condemn them but I'm sure they're also used as manpower.
Not exactly. Criminals with Ukrainian passports are fighting in the "robber baron"s armies - such as "Azov" battalion organized an financed by Lyashko ( member of Rada, leader of Radical party,) for example. He makes no secret, that he was hiring people with criminal records for his punitive battalion. Too bad the rebels wiped it out practically completely.
Now about the "criminals" on rebels side - indeed the break of social order brings crime and lawlessness and at the beginning there were plenty of opportunists who joined the ranks of the "rebels" who'd loot cities and towns. But remember the "Russian mercenaries" who know how to "organize and coordinate people"? So here is your answer - someone like Girkin ( aka Strelkov) wouldn't have any of it. Let's just put it this way - he knows how to enforce discipline when he "organizes and coordinates." Same goes to the part of "people's army" that was on billionaire's Akhmetov payroll, (just in case you haven't heard why Dontsk has been spared from destruction so far.)
Ukraine's next battle is Donetsk, but no bombs, please
( Akhmetov is walking a thin line there, and as rumors has it, SOME rebel fighting units had a direct connection to him.)

Quote:
And the third fraction are Donbas patriots/Russian schauvinists/fascists(for example, that guy with the beard) by their certitude.
So there we go - that's the most important part, starting with "Donbass patriots." So you acknowledge their presence among the fighters, and obviously since Washington has set its eyes this time around on something so historically and spiritually Russian as Donbass, obviously it awoken Russian nationalism ( hence the appearance on a scene of such characters as "Babai.") It couldn't have been any other way.

Quote:
I wouldn't even doubt that Donbas should be seperated from Ukraine if I would be sure that it really is "the will of the people". I would rather agree that it could be "the will of a portion of people".
It's not about "Ukraine" I think. It's about the kind of government that promotes Ukrainian nationalism, which is not a healthy thing. So I do think that the majority of people on Donbass would like to stay away from such government.
Quote:
But since I know quite a few people from that region, I know that, even if some of them(or likely MOST of them) are russified Ukrainians without ability to speak Ukrainian, it is not true that "all of them want to join Russia or at least be seperated from Ukraine".
Again - my thought that "desire to join Russia" in many Eastern Ukrainians stems from idea of getting protection from hostile to them elements from Western/Central Ukraine. Since many of them are of the "left train of thought" ( traditionally so) and they see what Russia is all about currently - my question is how many would REALLY would want to join Russia, if they were able to stand on its own.

Quote:
Besides, why would they declare themselves to be of Ukrainian ethnicity in population censuses?
Донецкая область — Википедия (Russian)
Donetsk Oblast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (English)
Again - I don't know, I've always had hard time to say who is who in that region, Southern Russia including.

Quote:
Things aren't black and white there, crazy stuff is happening there.
I hope they'll find a peaceful solution, I can't even believe that this is happening over there.
Neighbor is shooting neighbor, brother is shooting brother again..
Yes it's sad to watch what's happening there and I don't see any "happy resolution" so far.

Last edited by erasure; 07-13-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
History repeats itself. With the usual actors involved and ambivalent ignorance of people in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFOQy2hztWI
Oh, don't bother with something as staple as "Quiet flows the Don" and what your area means for Russian history/culture.

See, for people sitting in Washington such thing as "spirituality" is embodied by mega-churches; the rest is calculated in $$$$$.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 PM

CNN from refugees camp in Russia.
Video

Old 07-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Selena, can you tell more about it please, because it's difficult to separate truth from fiction, ( particularly when I am talking about official Russian channels.)
Of course when I am watching this video, I have a bad feeling that you are right.
These people from Ukrainian army come across as invaders in Slavaynsk, not "liberation army" as they claim to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDEVc1_aIXs
I heard a lot, few stories which sound not realistic, such as the crucifixion of child militiaman. But there were such cases, many of which can not remain silent, relatives of some of the militias were executed, Slavyansk policemen immediately after the "liberation" were taken to an unknown destination and nobody knows what happened to them, were arrests. Some Ukrainian media showed cheering people who met the Ukrainian army, but after checking these photos it was clear that they were made in other cities, or by a strange coincidence, these people spoke the Ukrainian language in native Russian-speaking town and at the same time receiving money for something.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:29 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Russia's Top 80 Lies About Ukraine

As spread by Putin's trolls (paid and otherwise) here, there, and everywhere. And eagerly lapped up by clueless naïve Westerners who are desperate for something to validate their anti-Western -- and especially anti-U.S. and MOST especially anti-Obama worldviews.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 AM

I'm also not yet found evidence of a large number of persons killed in captured towns. Only rumors. I think we need to wait.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Russia's Top 80 Lies About Ukraine

As spread by Putin's trolls (paid and otherwise) here, there, and everywhere. And eagerly lapped up by clueless naïve Westerners who are desperate for something to validate their anti-Western -- and especially anti-U.S. and MOST especially anti-Obama worldviews.

I agree that a lot of misinformation and any information should be treated with caution. But your link contains a lie.

"On July 7, 2014, Russian mainstream media exploded with a stream of articles about Alexander Skryabin, an alleged hero of nonexistent Novorussia. Pseudo-“heroic” tales of armed separatism were published by Komsomolskaya Pravda, Vesti, the portal for the Communist Party of the Russian Federation, NTV, Gazeta and many others. No one seemed to be perturbed by the fact that Alexander Skryabin died of lung cancer on September 27, 2011."(с)

As far as I understand, the conclusions that the man died of cancer, were made on the basis of screen shot recording on the social network. My opinion - picture of the social network can not be evidence. Although I do not rule out that the episode could be a fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe