Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
They've got nothing and they know it.
CNN interviewed one of the top Ukrainian intelligence guys and his arguments for Russia shooting down the plane made perfect sense to me.

I am 98% convinced that this was done by Russians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 03:14 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
"Even if he's got 99.9% approval ratings that doesn't mean his policies are 'right' for Rossiya".

But....isnt this the basic definition of a "democracy", though we all know that Putin is a master manipulator. In the end, he is popular because he is doing what his people want, or think they want. Do you think he would be a better Russian leader by doing what the west wants? He is supposed to serve the interest of his people and his country, no one else. If the interest of Russia does not line up with that of NATO or whoever, is it Putin's fault?

This is why I find these moralistic arguments against leaders who are doing what's good for their countries rather meaningless. So long as they are not committing crimes against humanity like Stalin, Hitler or even Mao, there really isnt a legitimate argument against what they do. You can point finger and whine about someone, but he/she answers only to his/her people and nation.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM

750 posts, read 907,095 times
Collection of russian fakes

Russia’s top 60 lies about Ukraine

Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 AM

202 posts, read 224,539 times
I am so happy we are on the opposite side of the baricade. Can't even imagine being under Russian influence, having one of the lowest living standard, one of the lowest democracy index, one of the lowest income and almost highest crime rate in the whole Europe.

I can't understand how come people in eastern/central Europe survived so long under that uthopian Russian dictatorship.

Last edited by streetway; 07-23-2014 at 06:17 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I am so happy we are on the opposite side of the baricade. Can't even imagine being under Russian influence, having one of the lowest living standard, one of the lowest democracy index, one of the lowest income and almost highest crime rate in the whole Europe.

I can't understand how come people in eastern/central could have survived so long under that uthopian Russian dictatorship.
I went to Estonia about 3 years ago and I was amazed by how much progress they have made in the last 23 years. It is hard to picture places like Tartu being part of the USSR. Very modern city.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,549 times
^Living standart in my city is quite European, including the average life duration. I've been in several European capitals, and don't envy their inhabitants. Yes, the other country is different, but it have been always so.

I can see Caravaggio or Picasso, without living my city, thanks to the Western museums, who are happy to exhibit their collections here from time to time. Life's pretty comfortable.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I went to Estonia about 3 years ago and I was amazed by how much progress they have made in the last 23 years. It is hard to picture places like Tartu being part of the USSR. Very modern city.
Cities can be repaired, economy can be repaired but nobody can give you back 40 years of your life. One whole generation was lost forever.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 AM

Lost? Tartu was an intellectual center in 60s, 70s, 80s, thanks for the Russian immigrants from Leningrad and their Estonian colleagues, who studied culture, literature, linguistics there.

Even the ambassador of Estonia said so, in her introduction to a book of a Russian scientist, who spent his best years in Tartu.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
Lost? Tartu was an intellectual center in 60s, 70s, 80s, thanks for the Russian immigrants from Leningrad and their Estonian colleagues, who studied culture, literature, linguistics there.

Even the ambassador of Estonia said so, in her introduction to a book of a Russian scientist, who spent his best years in Tartu.
Now imagine where this intelectual center could have been if it had had immigrants from Sweden, Finland, US, Germany or any other western country. What a prosperous and influencial intelectual centre it could have been.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 AM

Perhaps, or perhaps not. Baltic actors were very popular in Russian movies, but I don't see any Baltic actors in British of French movies. I don't say that the situation there is bad, now they achieved a lot of good things in the EU, and I know that they never really wanted to be in one state with us. But to portray it on only one color - black - is to be a little bit prejudiced, in my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe