U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Earth
4,508 posts, read 3,090,953 times
Reputation: 3355

Advertisements

Or the US could sell gas to germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2014, 11:50 AM
 
2,348 posts, read 3,922,697 times
Reputation: 2199
And Kiev gets even more insane:

Ukraine Considers Sanctions That Would Block the Flow of Gas from Russia

I am sure Russia will get blamed for Ukraine blocking gas from Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 3,922,697 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Or the US could sell gas to germany.
It does not work like that.

After the investment of billions of dollars to even get the gas over to the EU, and the EU losing billions of dollars in their investment to get gas from Russia; taking Russia's gas off the market would reduce the global supply for gas, thus gas prices would rise rapidly because of this.

As an American, I rather not see my energy prices sky rocket and an economic slow-down over a BS issue like Ukraine.

Remember the numerous events that happened throughout a few winters ago with Russian supplies to Europe? imagine that times 100. Rationing would also most likely have to be introduced as it is in Ukraine. Politically, I doubt the EU citizens will take that, along with their job losses and financial well being, all over Ukraine, a country that all in all, is a dump and has never been a close friend of the EU, and is headed by (a) former Yanukovich supporters, including Poroshenko who was a minister under Yanukovich; and (b) Unelected oligarchs still control the country, the same ones who were under Yanukovich.

Basically, nothing has changed about Ukraine domestically, it is still the corrupt, wasteful, deceitful country it always was, heck, numerous people under Yanukovich still retained their positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:39 PM
 
1,746 posts, read 4,632,010 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It does not work like that.

After the investment of billions of dollars to even get the gas over to the EU, and the EU losing billions of dollars in their investment to get gas from Russia; taking Russia's gas off the market would reduce the global supply for gas, thus gas prices would rise rapidly because of this.

As an American, I rather not see my energy prices sky rocket and an economic slow-down over a BS issue like Ukraine.

Remember the numerous events that happened throughout a few winters ago with Russian supplies to Europe? imagine that times 100. Rationing would also most likely have to be introduced as it is in Ukraine. Politically, I doubt the EU citizens will take that, along with their job losses and financial well being, all over Ukraine, a country that all in all, is a dump and has never been a close friend of the EU, and is headed by (a) former Yanukovich supporters, including Poroshenko who was a minister under Yanukovich; and (b) Unelected oligarchs still control the country, the same ones who were under Yanukovich.

Basically, nothing has changed about Ukraine domestically, it is still the corrupt, wasteful, deceitful country it always was, heck, numerous people under Yanukovich still retained their positions.
Wait, do you have multiple accounts on City Data?

Are you also BOXUS, by chance?

Very similar style...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 3,922,697 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Wait, do you have multiple accounts on City Data?

Are you also BOXUS, by chance?

Very similar style...
Ah, no, not boxus. My account is much older than boxus, and given that neither boxus or myself troll around on here (I am familiar with boxus from the exercise forum and on this thread a little), I would not see the point.

As for style, I do not see the similarities, maybe a few things, but I do not think it is uncommon for at least two people on here to have something of a similar style in some way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 18,765,643 times
Reputation: 11103
2% of all energy used in the EU comes from Russia. The natural gas disaster was due to houses supplied directly to that source without backup, and that thing backfired. Did affect only a tiny percentage of German and Austrian housing.

Don't be ridiculous. The European countries aren't helpless little childs that only depends on the US and Russia, or otherwise we would be destroyed. Start again a closed coal plant and there we have the 2% covered again. Do you seriously think all we Europeans are retarded or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: PriBaltica!
153 posts, read 221,506 times
Reputation: 171
Can I add my 2 cents.
I am supporting and always will support Ukraine's will to preserve their soveirgnty. I hope they will destroy the enemy... in a harsh way.
But... But! But! But!

From the point of view of geopolitical events.
Who gave the right for glorious US to bomb Iraq today again? They are zillion miles away from US.
But Ukraine is bordering Russia. Maybe they have the right to bomb Kiev????

If US wants to bring piece and democracy - then maybe start with North Korea or China??? duh...
Messed up world...

Go to hell US and Russia, i.e., your politicians.

Really hate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40ļ43 N
3,025 posts, read 2,572,738 times
Reputation: 945
I just have a very bad feeling because of the trade bans.
When trade across borders is not available, is highly likely that armies would be willing to cross those borders because of a war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 3,922,697 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
2% of all energy used in the EU comes from Russia. The natural gas disaster was due to houses supplied directly to that source without backup, and that thing backfired. Did affect only a tiny percentage of German and Austrian housing.

Don't be ridiculous. The European countries aren't helpless little childs that only depends on the US and Russia, or otherwise we would be destroyed. Start again a closed coal plant and there we have the 2% covered again. Do you seriously think all we Europeans are retarded or what?
According to this: Russia in the European energy sector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The EU in 2007 imported 32.6% of its oil and 38.7% of its gas from Russia.

According to this: Energy: EU-Russia Energy Relations - European Commission

"The Russian Federation is the 3rd biggest world trade partner of the EU. Energy represents 65% of total EU imports from Russia. Russia is the biggest oil, gas, uranium and coal importer to the EU. In 2007, 44.5% of total EUís gas imports (150bcm), 33.05% of total EUís crude oil imports, and 26% of total EU coal imports came from Russia. In total, around 24% of total EU gas sources are originating from Russia. In general, energy dependency varies significantly between different Member States / regions in the EU."

And on the Russian side, from the same article:

"The EU is by far the largest trade partner of the Russian Federation: 45% of Russia imports originate from the EU, and 55% of its exports go to the EU, including 88% of Russia's total oil exports, 70% of its gas exports and 50% of its coal exports. The export of raw materials to the EU represents around 40% of the Russian budget, and the EU represents 80% of cumulative foreign investments in Russia."

Russia is hardly some minor player as you make them out or want them to be. It is amazing you think everything will just be economically fine for everyone if the sixth largest economy in the world, and one of the world's largest energy and resources producers, is completely shut out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 06:17 PM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,702,136 times
Reputation: 3108
You know from what I read Rossiya is number two behind Saudi Arabia in natural gas production and is neck and neck on oil production with them as well. But right now Rossiya now has to be careful about having access to technology that will let her increase energy production. She cannot do it alone. For that she needs the West's help.

Right now it's noted that Rossiya relies on about 30 to 60 percent of those energy technologies from the EU. If they lose that well it could arguably really hurt the 'petrol-state' we've all come to know. If the sanctions go on they could seriously curtail its oil production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top