Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times

Advertisements

I'll second that Mr G.

Quote:
How many times do you have to remind some of the posters on this thread that the Ukraine is a sovereign nation, it does not belong to Russia anymore.
If Ukraine is a sovereign nation you chitweasel then it's electoral process, constitution and sovereignty is supposed to be respected by everyone according to international law. The Feb coup sponsored by the west violated all of the above. There was no respect for the sovereignty of Ukraine shown.
This ATO is no less than a transparent act of aggression to divert the attention away from the inconvenient truth of the matter and keep the dogs far away from the real criminals in Kiev.

Russia has every right to intervene to save lives, not only that Russia has a moral obligation to correct the situation but Putin and the RF government is shirking that responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Ok, some posters need to be reminded that American forces entered the sovereign nation of Mexico, annexed 50% of it, and turned the lands into California, Texas, Arizona, NewMexico(LOL), Florida.
Oh, and ifcourse the entire American continent belonged to native peoples prior to the white-man taking it.

The so-called nation of Ukraine no longer belongs to Poland nor Lithuania either; parts of it settled by Polish, other parts by Hungarians, Romanians, Tatars, Gypsies, Jews, Russians, etc. Its borders are completely made-up. If some people do not wish to be ruled by the junta in Kiev, then so be it!

Yanukovich was voted as president by the majority of voters in Ukraine; a small minority staged a coup-de-ta and removed him by force.
Then, because the Russian speakers in the East refused to accept this houliganism in Kiev, the fascist Kiev junta sent the army to squash the rebellion. In turn creating 1 million refugees... which ifcourse Russia took in.

Russia does not need permission to provide desperately needed food to their people from anyone... much less the fascist illegal junta Kiev government!
You do not need to go back that far in time, US forces entered Iraq which ended up toppling their leaders. The US entered Libya even though the gov did not invite them in. The US also entered Pakistan to kill Bin Laden without permission of Pakistan.

But as posters will say "this is not about the US", well, these same posters are trying to claim some moral compass of international law, yet will not mention this international law is frequently broken, but Russia someone is treated like the oddity in this regard.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Parading prisoners around like that is the wrong thing to do, and any side that does it should cease doing so and treat prisoners in a humane way as civilized people do. Seems many people forget that when this is all over, no matter who wins, everyone will be living side by side with each other and resume their normal lives.
This parade was not about "inhumane treatment of prisoners" per se; DNR has agreement with Ukrainians, they regularly make exchanges of POWs and so on.
It was not "directed" at prisoners themselves with a purpose to threaten or humiliate them - it was a referral to the events of the 17th of July, 1944 when defeated German troops were paraded through Moscow.
So it was really a staged political action.
In Donetsk it was a reminder, a statement what they consider this war to be all about, how they view it, particularly in the light of the "Independence Day" parade in Kiev.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=717145681666559

Last edited by erasure; 08-25-2014 at 12:18 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 PM

202 posts, read 224,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Russia became a successor state because;

- it had 51% of the population, which the UN agreed was an important factor along with its land mass.
- most importantly, in exchange for a seat on the UN Security Council, one of the most important elements was Russia agreed to take on all Soviet debts, which Russia paid off in a little over ten years (there are actually a couple of disputes still ongoing, legal issues). The eleven members of the CIS all agreed for Russia to act as the successor to the USSR.
- the USSR was actually a successor to the Russian Empire due to it was born of of it, so it was basically a normal transitional feeling that the namesake "Russia" would be the successor to the USSR which took its imperial place decades before.

Well, it was actually Germany's invasion that started WW2, no one declared war on the USSR, therefore the USSR's invasion on Poland is a moot point since no one responded.

And while you state Russia invaded Poland, which is correct, you leave out Slovak did also. You want to lay all blame on Russia, yet omitting your own country. Your country declared war on the US and UK in 1941. You also omit the issues between Poland and the USSR and the former Russian Empire over territory, which predates WW2 by centuries; you want to start history between the USSR and Poland in 1939. You forget that this invasion was directly out of the 1919 treaty, and that the area the USSR annexed actually had numerous non-Poles residing there that welcomed the Soviets in as they were anti-Polish residents who fell under Poland's rule when Poland seized the territory decades before.

And while you are on the "Russia" bandwagon, you omit that three key people who led this invasion were not even Russian, one was Georgian and two were Ukrainian. So your drum beat of "only Russians were bad", have been proven incorrect numerous times, and many posters have provided you plenty of examples of the ethnicities that participated in the USSR, which negates your view that only Russians were responsible for everything Soviet.

By the way, nothing personal against Slovakia, I like the place, one of my favorite places in Europe to visit and I think the most friendly people in Europe.
I don't really care on what legal basis Russia officially became successor state of the Soviet Union, fact is Russians were driving force of the SU and committed one of the worst atrocities in the history of Europe, nowadays they represent successor state.
I don't understand why you still arguing about what other countries invaded Poland ? What I am trying to point out is that Russians invaded sovereign country and started the II WW and they are doing it over and over again.
Russian policy is still the same and represent the same security risk as before.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,655 times
Quote:
Russians invaded sovereign country
Russian policy is still the same and represent the same security risk as before.
Together with Germany. Do you see such a situation now? I don't. So, for Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic and the other Central European countries there is no security risk.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I don't really care on what legal basis Russia officially became successor state of the Soviet Union, fact is Russians were driving force of the SU and committed one of the worst atrocities in the history of Europe, nowadays they represent successor state.
I don't understand why you still arguing about what other countries invaded Poland ? What I am trying to point out is that Russians invaded sovereign country and started the II WW and they are doing it over and over again.
I saw an interesting saying on Russian sites today;

"Every 100 years or so the world unites against Russia, only to get its ass kicked and to calm down for the next 100 years."

I thought you out of all people might appreciate this little joke))))

Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I saw an interesting saying on Russian sites today;

"Every 100 years or so the world unites against Russia, only to get its ass kicked and to calm down for the next 100 years."

I thought you out of all people might appreciate this little joke))))
Yeah, you guys really showed the West who's the boss in the Winter War and in Afghanistan Id call that a really selective memory.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,655 times
erasure

This joke doesn't represent the reality, alas. We won only when we had the allies. And we had a chance to interfere in the other countries politics, only when the other big countries supported it.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Yeah, you guys really showed the West who's the boss in the Winter War and in Afghanistan Id call that a really selective memory.
What "winter war?"
And Afghanistan - how is it "the world unites against us?"

Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What "winter war?"
The one in which Finland kicked your ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe