Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 AM

261 posts, read 253,977 times

Advertisements

BEIJING, March 6 (Xinhua)
...Yang Jiechi stressed that the legitimate rights and interests of all ethnic groups in Ukraine should
be accommodated in handling the Ukraine issue.
[legitimate as in Putin's definition ?]
It should be the top priority that all parties exercise restraint and strive to settle the crisis
through political and diplomatic means so as to prevent the situation from being further
aggravated...
[clearly against Russia/Crimea,IMO, who used military force
but also against sanctions]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM

261 posts, read 253,977 times
what worries me is not so much the people in Crimea or Ukraine,
(I don't see a major ethnic conflict)
It's the reliability of the nuclear powers in their treaties and the whole
system to protect themselves and the world from a basically unwanted but escalating,
uncontrolled major (nuclear) conflict, guided by the logic of threats
and misunderstandings and misinterpretations and legal "tricks" and
propaganda.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,157,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Of course, you would, wouldn't you? And this is why your military is there, so you have it for yourself. They are doing it for you and other Russian people like you, don't you love them?

Would you also like to have Southern France, Italy and some Greek Islands in addition?

Why, no need to buy Euros and waste time at customs when you have a vacation there!
Against them, I also will not mind. Let hold a referendum and join Russia if they want.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,587,575 times
Quote:
what worries me is not so much the people in Crimea or Ukraine,
(I don't see a major ethnic conflict)
It's the reliability of the nuclear powers in their treaties and the whole
system to protect themselves and the world from a basically unwanted but escalating,
uncontrolled major (nuclear) conflict, guided by the logic of threats
and misunderstandings and misinterpretations and legal "tricks" and
propaganda
Not sure if it's noted that the West has ramped up things in NATO as a result of the events in Ukraine. I tell you I really wonder if Western military force would ever be used in some NATO countries around the Russian border. 'Provocations' there, if they occur, would surely be more destablizing than what we're seeing now.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 AM

862 posts, read 1,171,683 times
Quote:
Not sure if it's noted that the West has ramped up things in NATO as a result of the events in Ukraine.
But long time before NATO said that the door for our neighbour is always open.

Militaries and politicians here might have seen this as an unfriendly gesture. And there were a lot of such gestures in the past.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,544,513 times
News reports this morning are saying that Crimea will hold a vote March 16th to determine whether it wants to leave Ukraine and join Russia.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,133,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
News reports this morning are saying that Crimea will hold a vote March 16th to determine whether it wants to leave Ukraine and join Russia.
MARCH 16TH???

Somebody is in a hurry? How is it possible to organize such important event in just a couple of days???

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,306,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Russia Today has Crimea already on their maps as a part of Russia

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM

862 posts, read 1,171,683 times
Yes. I don't know what they will do next. If they vote to join us, what others will do? They won't recognize that.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM

1,139 posts, read 987,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The phonecall just included some jibberish hearsay about some third party involved in the shootings. The only source named is a woman called "Olga". Who's that anyway?

Wouldn't take it too serious, since there are lots of videos of policemen shooing at people...

Olga Bogomolets

From her website:

Tonight I, Olga Bohomolets, refused an offer to hold a post of the Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine for Humanitarian Affairs in the new government. I inform everyone that I will continue working for the people on Ukrainian Maidans to support the unity of our country as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe