U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 PM

261 posts, read 201,564 times

Advertisements

wikipedia about Churkin:
--- He graduated from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations in 1974,
PhD in history from the USSR Diplomatic Academy in 1981
----- testify before US Congress on Chernobyl in 1986
----http://worldcat.org/identities/np-churkin,%20vitaly/
Most widely held works by Vitaly Churkin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Rose. A discussion about the escalating conflict between Georgia and Russia ;(2008)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panel discussion on the implications of the Reagan administration's moves to dismantle
the SALT II agreement.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solutions to the nuclear arms race1983)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two steps toward a treaty ( Recording,1987 )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

wikipedia about Putin:
----graduated from the International Law branch of the Law Department of the
Leningrad State University in 1975, writing his final thesis on international law.
[24] His PhD thesis was titled "The Strategic Planning of Regional Resources
Under the Formation of Market Relations"
----law-and-order image , Chechenia
----economical success
----in a January 2007 interview, Putin said Russia is in favor of a democratic multipolar
world and of strengthening the systems of international law.[172]
-----Putin strongly opposed Kosovo's 2008 declaration of independence, warning supporters
of that precedent that it would de facto destroy the whole system of international relations
----Putin's Munich 2007 speech:
condemned the "hypocrisy" of countries trying to teach democracy to Russia,
condemned the domination of hard power and enforcement by the U.S. of the
Western norms and laws to other countries bypassing international law and
substitution of the United Nations by NATO or the EU.[232]
Putin also called for a stop to the militarization of space and questioned the
plans to deploy American missile defense in Europe as threatening strategic
nuclear balance and spurring a new arms race. He also claimed that the
countries dubbed as rogue states by the West were not going to be capable
of threatening Europe or the U.S. with ballistic missiles in the foreseeable future.[232]
----in the 2012 campaign: He said that the foreign interference into Russian affairs should
not be allowed, that Russia has its own free will.
----Mitt Romney called Putin "a real threat to the stability and peace of the world.
----Putin biographer Masha Gessen has stated that "Putin is a dictator,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,026,605 times
I don't think Crimea is so strategically important (Russia already has access to Black Sea), except that Sevastopol has a good natural port and already built military port facilities.

Is rather Russia's image of local power, as was in the case of Georgia's invasion some years ago.

If they don't act like the tough guy, they fear (and might be right) they'll have to gradually give up Siberia to the international community. For the same reason they fear European Union getting closer to their borders and let's say it, US didn't go in Afghanistan only to revenge the 2001 attacks but to establish an outpost as close to Russia as possible.

In fact, this explain the entire anti-Western position of Russia in 20-21st century, along with the communist views during the rule of that regime. Is not religion or culture (as in the case of islam) that motivates this position but simply economical / military interests in Siberia.

And I would say that Russia can take care of Siberia at least as well as the Western powers, whose greedy corporations may ruin its natural environment faster.

Last edited by CARPATHIAN; 03-07-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 AM

861 posts, read 983,543 times
Reaction in Germany:

ARD-Umfrage: Deutsche vertrauen Russland weniger - Politik - Stuttgarter Zeitung

Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 AM

In Kiev the mayor from the Party of Regions was denounced. The "president" made a new mayor, from the party of Tymoshenko.

Looks like they are trying to get rid of the rivals.

I don't understand, is it legal or not?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:13 AM

24,268 posts, read 18,823,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
In Kiev the mayor from the Party of Regions was denounced. The "president" made a new mayor, from the party of Tymoshenko.

Looks like they are trying to get rid of the rivals.

I don't understand, is it legal or not?
Lol, Russian propaganda in action again.

The Mayor of Kiev, Volodymyr Makeyenko, resigned voluntarily. All this happened 3 weeks ago.

Kiev's mayor has resigned from President Viktor Yanukovych's ruling Regions Party in protest over the "bloodshed" that has claimed dozens of lives in the Ukrainian capital. "The events happening in the Ukrainian capital are a tragedy," Volodymyr Makeyenko said in a statement.
"I have decided to resign from the Regions Party and assume personal responsibility for the livelihood of the city of Kiev."

The mayoral election will be held in May, so then Kiev will have a new one.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 AM

I don't know how voluntary. And I don't see why don't they all save their positions before the elections.

Perhaps they have kinda defeatist attitude. Not wise. Their party still represent the East. They must be stronger.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:20 AM

24,268 posts, read 18,823,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
I don't know how voluntary. And I don't see why don't they all save their positions before the elections.
This was on 20 February when Yanukovych was still in power.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
his was on 20 February when Yanukovych was still in power.
He resigned from the party on 20 February, but he was denounced from the mayor post on 5 March.
Yeah, it was my mistake he wasn't in the party anymore, but he was a neutral person. And the new "president" decided to change him.

I think they can all save their positions before the elections.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 AM

What was wrong with him? But they changed him to the member to the party of the "winners". Doesn't look objective to me. It looks like the party of the "winners" want to control the capital.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:49 AM

38 posts, read 76,333 times
Oligarchs who supported Maidan, already hold leading positions in the country government. Those rioters who fought for the idea (not for money, as there were a lot of such too) opposed oligarchs in the power. They are deceived now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe