Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I have been to the Ukraine, Belarus and Russia many times since 1994. I did quality control and warranty maintenance on the Metro locomotives 81-470s and the older Soviet stock all over. I learned a lot of the language and got to know a lot of the people. I know the Moscow Metro better than some Muscovites do. Same with Kiev and Kharkov.

I'm no authority in this, I wouldn't claim that status mainly because of what I hear all through the media of both sides. My informed opinion on this subject is that the Ukraine needs to split down the Dneiper river, Kiev will go to the Eastern part. Lvov can be the capital of the west, if it isn't Warsaw.

The 2 halves are too dissimilar in all ways. Simple as that, there's nothing else to say about it. Let the east and west go their own way. That's the solution.
But this is not about Ukraine and everything ending peacefully, this is about Russia versus the West. In geopolitics, the West needs Russia to not access the Black Sea, thus the Med, it is as simple as that. This is a huge stepping stone towards isolating Russia more, thus leveraging its natural resources for the West's use.

Having Ukraine split would not accomplish any of this, this is why there is firm anti-splitting by the West and Ukraine who is sponsored now by the West. The West will also take a firm stance ion Crimea, as this is a key point to Russia's access to the Black Sea.

The West does not care about Ukrainians' "freedoms"; there could be a Stalinist dictator there for all the West cares, all the West cares about is Ukraine siding with the West, but they need all of Ukraine for this, not some dirt poor western part without Crimea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 11:06 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,239,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But this is not about Ukraine and everything ending peacefully, this is about Russia versus the West. In geopolitics, the West needs Russia to not access the Black Sea, thus the Med, it is as simple as that. This is a huge stepping stone towards isolating Russia more, thus leveraging its natural resources for the West's use.

Having Ukraine split would not accomplish any of this, this is why there is firm anti-splitting by the West and Ukraine who is sponsored now by the West. The West will also take a firm stance ion Crimea, as this is a key point to Russia's access to the Black Sea.

The West does not care about Ukrainians' "freedoms"; there could be a Stalinist dictator there for all the West cares, all the West cares about is Ukraine siding with the West, but they need all of Ukraine for this, not some dirt poor western part without Crimea.
No-no Boxus wait, we need to hear one more time about the Maidan heroes, the "freedom fighters," the "ideals of regular Ukrainians" and SLAVA TO UKRAINE.

Ariete?
- your turn.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,239,302 times
P.S. Other than Crimea, I am sensing that East Ukraine does have industrial/financial value that both West and Russia would want to have, but Western part? It can become the Polish province once again and no one would care.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,337,625 times
Quote:
I doubt you're going to get less corruption if you're putting the same oligarchs who benefited from past corruption in power in Government positions across Ukraine.
I spoke to a friend in Pskov this morning. People call this "The war in the shadows of the oligarchs".

Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,827,101 times
Some ukrainian News of the day :

Kiev :
Vice Defense Minister of Ukraine has been fired for refusing to give the "right sector" armed thugs the status of the legal regular paramilitary units. This order was signed by the Prime Minister Yatsenuk.
( WTF!)

Crimea :
The current Ukrainian leadership that came as a result of anti-constitutional coup and which does not have a national mandate, imposes illegitimate decisions on the eastern and south-eastern regions and Crimea - said citizens of the Donbass and Crimea.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:

I am in total agreement with you. The destruction of the Russian Federation and CIS is the goal here at least for certain powers concerned, not all. I fear that Russia is going to have to strike back, invasion of the Ukraine is entirely possible and for Russia doable.

Most Ukrainians do not care for the US and their history with Europe has been rocky to say the least. There will be trouble if the country does not divide.

I also don't think Russia is bluffing, Putin has to do something or he will be perceived as a weak leader and Russians do not like weak leaders. He's the Tsar and the Tsar has to be strong and decisive. Russians are quite an excitable bunch.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Vice Defense Minister of Ukraine has been fired for refusing to give the "right sector" armed thugs the status of the legal regular paramilitary units. This order was signed by the Prime Minister Yatsenuk.
Hitler and his Brownshirts come to mind.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No-no Boxus wait, we need to hear one more time about the Maidan heroes, the "freedom fighters," the "ideals of regular Ukrainians" and SLAVA TO UKRAINE.
It's sad to see some zombie people here who are stubbornly don't wish to open their eyes...

Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 PM

Never mind.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

The West will lose. It is obvious. But the saddest thing is - the ukrainians will lose as well.
They have nothing to gain from the "revolution".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe