Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM

647 posts, read 797,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The post-soviet union borders are rather artificial, reflecting soviet creations and often states that never existed before. Perhaps Putin is correcting some mistakes?
The fact that Russia gifted Crimeã (with mostly Russian population) to Ukrãine was a big mistake, despite it Russia could to claim Crimea in 1991 (after collapse of the Soviet Union), but the Russian govt didn't it then, and recognized Ukranian integrity (including Crimeã) in three agreements...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Well on the news they said the Ukraine pretty much packed their bags and gave up today. Surprised to hear that!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Borders change after 1000 years. Perhaps we should resurrect the Byzantine Empire?

Spain to the Muslims and an independent Scotland?
I do not want to resurrect. I just think a mistake to assume that Russia's history begins with the rise of Moscow. Russian history begins in Great Novgorod, when Novgorod invited Rurik in 862. Rurik dynasty rules until 1610. The second dynasty in Russia is Romanovs. They ruled from 1613 to 1917. All that to 862 years is a history of the Eastern Slavs, Scythians, Sarmatians, etc.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
If Putin feels empowered after annexing Crimea, is there a possible threat that he may try to take some parts of eastern Ukraine as well?
Putin did not even need to do. New power in Kiev will do everything for him. I think it's pretty likely that over time Eastern Ukraine will want to join Russia.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Well on the news they said the Ukraine pretty much packed their bags and gave up today. Surprised to hear that!
Sad

Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
They have no other choice. Putin has played this game very well.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Sad
It is sad in a way because they feel betrayed by the West I suppose ( and not without a reason,) but the hands of Kiev opposition are not all that clean either; once you get entangled with nationalists ( ultra-nationalists as well,) the outcome is not going to be positive, I know that much.
I am reading today this on amnesty international site -

"Oleksandr Panteleymonov, head of the First National TV Channel, was visited in his offices by Igor Miroshnichenko from the Svoboda (Freedom) Party and at least five thugs who beat him and forced him to write a resignation letter.
Igor Miroshnichenko is a member of the parliamentary Committee on freedom of speech."

"They used racist language and demanded that Oleksandr Panteleymonov apologise. They filmed the whole attack and posted it on the internet. The attackers then abducted Panteleymonov telling him that he would be forced to apologise to protesters still camping out on Independent Square. He was released a few hours after the attack became public."

Ukraine: Nationalist MP launches brutal attack against TV executive | Amnesty International

They put plenty of material in Putin's hands to work with; it will all not end up well and for a reason. I don't believe in democrats pushing nationalist agenda; they are asking for trouble.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 PM

I thought the Ukraine - Russia relationship was going good when they signed that trade deal.... and they just turn their back on them and basically robbed them.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Can I borrow your language for a couple of minutes to tell you something, or should I address you in my own language?
You don't need to ask him for permission anymore, now you need to ask me

Old 03-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I thought the Ukraine - Russia relationship was going good when they signed that trade deal.... and they just turn their back on them and basically robbed them.
Everything was fine until the EU and the United States failed to comply a military coup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe