Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,114,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I wonder why the U.S. wanted to reconstruct a school in Sevastopol? For the children of officers of the fleet, which was supposed to be based there?

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=1
Maybe US planned to have something like military base in Crimea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,306,993 times
Quote:
It's common practice for trade commissions, embassies and chambers/ministries of commerce to post public tenders from foreign countries on their webpages. That's exactly what happened here.

Here is a public tender on an official Austrian webpage for an infrastructure project in Hong Kong/Macau. I doubt we are secretly planning to invade them.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM

803 posts, read 1,660,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
Maybe US planned to have something like military base in Crimea?

Yes. A military base in a non-NATO, non-EU country where Russia already has a military presence. Makes perfect sense.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:51 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,157,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Yes. A military base in a non-NATO, non-EU country where Russia already has a military presence. Makes perfect sense.
The new government support the United States and the European Union and hate Russia. It could theoretically expel Russian Fleet from Sevastopol and invite NATO fleet. But of course, this is just a guess.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM

26,750 posts, read 22,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It's common practice for trade commissions, embassies and chambers/ministries of commerce to post public tenders from foreign countries on their webpages. That's exactly what happened here.

Here is a public tender on an official Austrian webpage for an infrastructure project in Hong Kong/Macau. I doubt we are secretly planning to invade them.
I'm sorry Viribusunitis, some private Austrian company desiring to get involved in some Hong-Kong Highway project with tender posted on some "Wirtshaftskammer Osterreich" is nothing out of the ordinary, while tender posted by the United States Navy for a project in Crimea, where Russian Navy is stationed - that sure raises a red flag to Russians.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
The new government support the United States and the European Union and hate Russia. It could theoretically expel Russian Fleet from Sevastopol and invite NATO fleet.
Absolutely.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Yes to both.

I have the impression that global mafia west (US/EU/IMF) and global mafia east (Russia) have a tacit pact to partition Ukraine, sort of reminiscent of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact to dismember Poland, and it seems that the only question now is whether it will be only de facto or also de jure, and it seems that they have tacitly agreed to duke it out "nicely" to determine how far west Russia can hold sway, say Odessa and eastern Moldova, and possibly whether Kiev will be a split city, like Berlin or Jerusalem, or whether Russia will be confined to the three eastern oblasts, plus Crimea of course, and who will bear the costs of managing (or mismanaging as the case may be) the respective territories, de facto and de jure.

They are duking it out "nicely" because the difference between mafia and government is that government rules in the name of legality. Hence the propaganda on both sides.

The risk, of course, is that the gloves come off. But I don't think that it would be in anybody's interest, on balance, but naturally there could be a few crazies on either side or both. Let's hope not.

Good Luck!
I don't think that it's a "tacit pact" to partition Ukraine; the West hoped for a complete takeover of Ukraine; it just didn't didn't work out this way. Other than that - I agree with the rest.
The US indignantly pointing at Russia for "meddling in Ukraine's internal affairs" - just LOL.
Global mafia it is from both sides of course, with naive Ukrainians caught in-between.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,114,018 times
Quote:
Like Ganci Air Base in my country. But it's not an option now, happily.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Quote:
Has often happened, from large CIA radar installations in China during the Cold War, to the Manas Transit Center in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan which is right down the road from a Russian air base.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 AM

803 posts, read 1,660,431 times
Quote:
The new government support the United States and the European Union and hate Russia. It could theoretically expel Russian Fleet from Sevastopol and invite NATO fleet. But of course, this is just a guess.
Comical, I think you're really reaching here. If the U.S. wanted to invade and expel Russians, they wouldn't do it by renovating schools and hospitals for children in an impoverished country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe