Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I guess in Ukraine, your accent leads other people to make assumptions about you. If you have a Lviv accent, you’re a Banderista. If you have a Donbas accent, you’re a Stalinist.

Not exactly.
But if you speak Ukrainian (of the Western region variety,) chances are - you are pro-Poroshenko and pro-Bandera.
If it's a standard Ukrainian, one can be only guessing.
If it's straight Russian - chances are you are either pro-Soviet, pro-Russian, or one can be only guessing what the beliefs of this person are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:04 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If it's straight Russian - chances are you are either pro-Soviet, pro-Russian, or one can be only guessing what the beliefs of this person are.
Only true if they are over 50 years old, or you took a time machine back to 2013 or before.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
I see a lull before the inauguration. Apparently everyone is waiting for the real steps of the new president. Dark horse must go on the political stage

I see Rada still refuses to set the date of the inauguration of the new president?
They still think they can prevent their inevitable dissolution? ( Is it even inevitable? I guess no one can tell for sure at this point.)

Meanwhile, the spin doctors in Moscow seem to be jubilant.
While Porosheno's Rada refuses to inaugurate Zelensky, a lot of good news are coming their way ( or so it sounds.)
Trump seems to be avoiding to deal with either one - be that Poroshenko or Zelensky at this point, requesting a meeting with Putin instead. Pompeo is heading to Sochi, Russia as well.

EU is refusing to impose any additional sanctions on Moscow for Russian passports distribution in LDNR/DNR, which already moved onto their territory, (instead of being available only in the neighboring Russian region, as it was reported earlier.)

What else is new?
Oh, P. Klimkin ( Ukrainian minister of the foreign affairs) is threatening that Ukraine will abandon Minsk agreement in revenge.

Poroshenko is heading to EU to meet with NATO's Stoltenberg ( why?) and then he was going to have a dinner with EU president, Donald Tusk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bblJhl845Lo

P.S. And the last but not least, in his interview to Ukrainian journalist given in US, Giuliani not only confirms the need for investigation into Ukrainian involvement in US elections ( directly benefiting Clinton's side,) Shokin/Biden and all, but the new interesting detail emerges there; the ambassador Jovanovich indeed was called off to Washington early in direct connection with the growing scandal.

As some of Ukrainians senators passed to Trump's camp now, she told them "not to worry about Trump, since he was going to be impeached anyways."

So yeah.. a lot of interesting news lately, to say the least.

Last edited by erasure; 05-15-2019 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Only true if they are over 50 years old, or you took a time machine back to 2013 or before.

You friends told you so?

Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
DKM

Quote:
You friends told you so?
I'm the one here who's been to Eastern Ukraine since 2013, so I know better than you. If there are pro Russian Ukrainians under 50ish in Ukraine they are a rare sight and I've yet to encounter one or know anyone who has. Maybe it is because they moved to Donetsk to join the cause? The only ones I know are all single grandmas who watch Russian TV all day. Funny thing is the really old ones who remember World War 2 are very anti Russian now. Betrayal is a strong emotion.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM
DKM

Quote:
I see Rada still refuses to set the date of the inauguration of the new president?
They still think they can prevent their inevitable dissolution? ( Is it even inevitable? I guess no one can tell for sure at this point.)

Meanwhile, the spin doctors in Moscow seem to be jubilant.
While Porosheno's Rada refuses to inaugurate Zelensky, a lot of good news are coming their way ( or so it sounds.)
Trump seems to be avoiding to deal with either one - be that Poroshenko or Zelensky at this point, requesting a meeting with Putin instead. Pompeo is heading to Sochi, Russia as well.

EU is refusing to impose any additional sanctions on Moscow for Russian passports distribution in LDNR/DNR, which already moved onto their territory, (instead of being available only in the neighboring Russian region, as it was reported earlier.)

What else is new?
Oh, P. Klimkin ( Ukrainian minister of the foreign affairs) is threatening that Ukraine will abandon Minsk agreement in revenge.

Poroshenko is heading to EU to meet with NATO's Stoltenberg ( why?) and then he was going to have a dinner with EU president, Donald Tusk.
You seem to be looking for things that don't exist. Normal things, like setting the inauguration for early June, are being spun as conspiracies. I get it, you want so bad to believe that Ukrainians are divided. It is evident in the posts (oh look at the map, Boiko!) etc. Yeah there are Nationalists in Lviv and Putin lovers in Luhansk but the rest of the country spoke their voice and its for continued EU integration and anti corruption. Russians are having a hard time with Ze who got the most lopsided votes in history... so they keep beating the drum that Ukraine is hopelessly divided. A Russian speaker from the east was just voted in and he clearly ran on and is for deeper integration with Europe. Its not good for the DNR's reason for existence so I am not surprised at the hysteria I see in your posts.

The EU realizes there isn't a big deal with the Russian passport thing. Only criminals from Donetsk will apply so they can flee. The president of Ukraine often meets with NATO and the EU. These are Ukraine's partners now.

Klimkin's threat was in relation to lifting sanctions, which isn't going to happen but he said it anyway. This makes sense because the preconditions to lifting the sanctions is for Russia to abide by the Minsk accords which Russia ignores.

Much ado about nothing, as usual.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
It's nothing?

TASS: World - Poroshenko signs law on Ukrainian as the only state language

I see the signs of hatred and disgust in Ukrainian society. I think ukrainians are divided and the map which Erasure posted of the demos of the final voting shows me just who is the minority. Porkochunko and the Rada have no say on what language people speak. This bill is mean spirited, it's meant to divide, to intimidate. There's supposed to be fines against the violators of the law. WTF?

Are shop owners who advertise in Russian now going to have to tear it all up and pay for new signage in Ukrainian? Are doctors supposed to throw out the medical texts written in Russian? Are professors in colleges supposed to throw out the text books?

Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You seem to be looking for things that don't exist. Normal things, like setting the inauguration for early June, are being spun as conspiracies. I get it, you want so bad to believe that Ukrainians are divided. It is evident in the posts (oh look at the map, Boiko!) etc. Yeah there are Nationalists in Lviv and Putin lovers in Luhansk but the rest of the country spoke their voice and its for continued EU integration and anti corruption. Russians are having a hard time with Ze who got the most lopsided votes in history... so they keep beating the drum that Ukraine is hopelessly divided. A Russian speaker from the east was just voted in and he clearly ran on and is for deeper integration with Europe. Its not good for the DNR's reason for existence so I am not surprised at the hysteria I see in your posts.

The EU realizes there isn't a big deal with the Russian passport thing. Only criminals from Donetsk will apply so they can flee. The president of Ukraine often meets with NATO and the EU. These are Ukraine's partners now.

Klimkin's threat was in relation to lifting sanctions, which isn't going to happen but he said it anyway. This makes sense because the preconditions to lifting the sanctions is for Russia to abide by the Minsk accords which Russia ignores.

Much ado about nothing, as usual.

DKM, dear...
It's obvious to me by now that you don't know enough of Russian (and obviously Ukrainian,) in order to follow the news on your own; apparently you have to rely on some English-speaking friends, who are not around for the time being.
Because otherwise you'd know by now, that everything what's going on in Ukraine is anything BUT normal.

The reason Ukrainian Rada is refusing to inaugurate Zelensky ( or rather procrastinates as long as possible,) is because the current *team* ( which consists for the most part of people supporting Poroshenko and his regime - ( to make the long story short,) is up for re-election almost in 6 month. If Zelensky is inaugurated earlier than June, he will be able ( according to Ukrainian Constitution) to disband this current Parliament, but after end of May/early June, when there will be less than six months till the re-election of the Rada deputies, the Constitution prohibits him to disband them.

And that means Poroshenko has his chance to remain in charge of the working parliament (HIS parliament, since his party (Pyotr Poroshenko Block) plays there big role( plus "People's front" et al.)
Under this case scenario Ze will remain a puppet that won't be able to do ANYTHING, since he has no party of his own there.

Not only that, they ( Poroshenko and Co) already do have a plan to deprive president of his current powers and shift them to the "cabinet of ministers" ( which again will be all appointed by Poroshenko.)
So indeed what's going on in Ukraine right now is anything BUT normal; all the previous presidents were inaugurated within a few days or couple of weeks maximum.)
In fact what happened specifically today ( yesterday?) what was referred to by many as a Constitutional coup d'etat, since the the head judge of the Constitutional Court ( the one and only, who was supposed to inaugurate Zelensky) has been dismissed. And he is actually the one ( among others) who referred to it as a Constitutional coup d'etat. The other one has been immediately appointed by Poroshenko, but she won't be able to fulfill her obligations earlier than in a month ( the way it sounds) and that means there is no one to inaugurate Zelensky for the time being *all of a sudden.*

Zelensky already demanded to set the inauguration date for the 19th of this month. He already made a public speech, addressing Poroshenko. ( Twice by now I believe?) But to no avail, since in response the constitutional judge has been dismissed.
The problem is, ( as many see it,) that he doesn't guarantee this parliament that he will not disband them, and that's the way they act in response.
People are making guesses whether that's his plan for real, or it's just a bargain going on between the two, particularly that the oligarch ( that rumor has it) stands behind Zelensky, became very active lately, and gives the interviews what Ukrainian politics should be be from now on, right and left.
And he is a big adversary of Poroshenko, who is an oligarch as well, as we all know it.

P.S. The only reason I explain to you all that here is because other people are reading this thread, so these are the latest news.
Otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

Last edited by erasure; 05-15-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
It's nothing?

TASS: World - Poroshenko signs law on Ukrainian as the only state language

I see the signs of hatred and disgust in Ukrainian society. I think ukrainians are divided and the map which Erasure posted of the demos of the final voting shows me just who is the minority. Porkochunko and the Rada have no say on what language people speak. This bill is mean spirited, it's meant to divide, to intimidate. There's supposed to be fines against the violators of the law. WTF?

Are shop owners who advertise in Russian now going to have to tear it all up and pay for new signage in Ukrainian? Are doctors supposed to throw out the medical texts written in Russian? Are professors in colleges supposed to throw out the text books?

That article misstates what the law is. Nobody is banned from using other languages in non official tasks, business or in public. But it does give the right to someone to be spoken to in Ukrainian by a public servant if they so desire. That's the big change. My family will still communicate with their doctors in Russian. Shops can still use Russian or English which is becoming more popular as the 2nd language there.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:05 PM

^

Above DKM, read the news above.
As for the latest "language law" - I need to get to it next, I just need to catch my breath a bit here)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe