U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 12,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That's quite the list of languages, you're fortunate to be able to communicate with so many. My Dutch begins with Nils Holgersson and ends with aardappel. I'd have to google Frisian, but I think I could deal with the rest of your list - although I'd sub your Polish for my Croatian, which for me is a bit rusty, admittedly.

Croatian cost of living has been increasing over the last several years, as you mentioned, more and more Western folks drive up prices. Still manageable though. Dubrovnik has always been "different" - like you mentioned, ok to visit, wouldnt want to live there. If you are considering Bulgaria, understand that corruption will be an unavoidable factor of your life there.
Thanks

Nils Holgersson has nothing to do with NL, by the way. I think he's originally created by Swedish author and Noble Prize winner Selma Lagerlöf

Yes, PL comes in very handy in EE, as a basic for understanding some other languages in this area. It has helped me to better understand Ukrainian, Russian, Slovakian, Czech languages and even some Bulgarian words. It was not easy to learn it, but I'm happy I've managed to do so.

Would you know of any portals/websites where I could take a peek at Croatian rentals? Flats/apartments?

Yes, BG would prolly entail some corruption. I've been there before, and didn't encounter any. But I guess it was because I put in some research before visiting, and only dealt with reputable companies for e.g. flat rental, taxi's, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 04:28 PM

295 posts, read 754,789 times
Croatia is a little country, so no really big cities here (had to say this in case you like big city urban living). Based on what you said, think we can narrow down your Croatia options to Split, Zadar, Rijeka and perhaps P.U.L.A (had to write it this way as the forum censors its name - not sure why).

Split: second largest Croatia's city. Old town and adjacent quarters are nice and livable. Very Mediterranean.

Zadar: similar to Split but smaller.

Rijeka: more industrial look and vibe and less low-key Mediterranean. Considered most tolerant Croatian city.

P.U.L.A: very Italian influenced, bilingual Croatian - Italian. Mentality similar to Rijeka, but smaller.

Croatia is covered with Google Street View so you might take "a walk" through these cities.

This is real estate section of the largest classifieds in Croatia:
Nekretnine - oglasnik Njuskalo.hr

Renting flats link:
Iznajmljivanje stanova | Stanovi najam - oglasnik Njuskalo.hr

Example: searching for a flat in Split:

On your upper left side choose:

Županija: Splitsko-dalmatinska
Grad/Općina: Split
Naselje: - -

Check: samo oglasi sa likom (only ads with photos)

Click: PRONJUSKAJ

Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 PM

191 posts, read 323,356 times
To answer your question about Romanian cities at the Black Sea: Constanta is the only city of size. It has some charming parts but it is not really a touristic town, it is more of a working port close to some super busy resorts. It is isolated, you are not close to anything other than the Black Sea resorts in both Romania and Bulgaria and Danube Delta. Bucharest is three hours away but any other place that is worth visiting in Romania will require a minimum 5 hour drive.
The winter is humid, windy, not nice at all. I would imagine the Bulgarian cost has a similar weather.
If you want to live close to the sea year round, Romania is not the place to go and probably neither Bulgaria. They are OK for a summer vacation and even then those are not the nicest beaches or towns in Eastern Europe.
I think Croatia or Montenegro are better, even if more expensive.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,011,355 times
In Bucharest, stray dogs are not a problem, many of them have been picked up from streets already and sent to some so-called shelters (in fact extermination camps), especially the agressive ones. The problem in Bucharest is the people who are stupid, rude. The city is clean and well maintaned (the streets) but the walls are covered in grafitti which may be annoying.

Here is a blog of a South African who spent a month in Romania this winter, mostly in Bucharest, these are the posts about the city:
Reillusioned: Romania: Day 1 (FINALLY)
Reillusioned: Romania: Day 2
Reillusioned: Romania: Day 3
Reillusioned: Romania: Day 4-5 (SNOW!)
Reillusioned: Romania: Day 7
Reillusioned: Bucharest: The City Of Contrasts
Reillusioned: Bucharest Night Life, Tourist Style
Reillusioned: You know you're in Romania when...
Reillusioned: Lipscani in the daylight
Reillusioned: Bucharest: A Walk In The Park

The last post is a conclusion about the pros and cons:
Reillusioned: 100th Post: Back in South Africa

Between Bucharest and Cluj, forget Cluj. Although people are as civil as in a Central European country, Cluj is very provvincial, more provincial even then smaller Sibiu and Brașov.

And Constanța is a disaster, a very depressing city. Other smaller localities on seaside are far more agreable but also less dynamic.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:52 PM

70 posts, read 55,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
Croatia is a little country, so no really big cities here (had to say this in case you like big city urban living). Based on what you said, think we can narrow down your Croatia options to Split, Zadar, Rijeka and perhaps P.U.L.A (had to write it this way as the forum censors its name - not sure why).
This made my day, I laughed some It's childish but the reason for censorship can be found in a dictionary, it's same with a Romanian word. Sometimes that city's name is used by TV hosts in Romania so they can have an excuse: "I was talking about the city", this to avoid censorship and fining.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:35 PM

295 posts, read 754,789 times
Good to see it comes handy to Romanians I guess we should switch to Italian POLA or local Croatian dialect and Slovenian PULJ.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:16 PM

13,299 posts, read 21,836,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
Good to see it comes handy to Romanians I guess we should switch to Italian POLA or local Croatian dialect and Slovenian PULJ.
I've always loved P.U.L.a.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM

12 posts, read 29,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've always loved P.U.L.a.
OMG

Shame on you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or