U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:09 PM

14,965 posts, read 13,542,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I'm sorry, but I have hard time to believe it, that Asians were used specifically as "cannon fodder" knowing the general situation with Soviet troops. Besides, the soldiers that were used as those "attack units" were coming form labor camps (often they were given a "chance" to "atone their sins" ( that is if they'd survive of course ) and they consisted of all kind of nationalities.
So I wouldn't attribute what you describe here to "poor treatment of Asians in Soviet Army," but rather to their own cultural traits. To begin with, their culture is of Islamic background, which survived even through Soviet times, and now, when they went separate way from Russia, Russians who stayed behind have story to tell about constant rapes and poor treatment of women, when Islam is ruling there again out in the open.
P.S. In fact, this is Central Asia through the eyes of a famous Russian painter back at the end of the 1800ies..

http://veresh.ru/img/prodaja-rebenka.jpg

http://klin-demianovo.ru/wp-content/...hchagin10b.jpg

http://www.hydojnik.ru/Vereshchagin/vereshchagin39.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 AM

2,032 posts, read 2,406,339 times
I'm black and lived in Russia for nearly seven years (and in Ukraine for two years).
I would say, overall, racist incidents, for me, were rather rare. Sure, I had idiots calling me the 'n-word' on occasion, but I chalked that up as much to the influence of bad American hip-hop as I did to actual racist intent. Plus, many people surely didn't know how deeply offensive the word means in the American context (heck, a lot of Americans still don't understand...many of them black).
My advice: If you want to go to Russia, GO. While unpleasant incidences are possible, my guess is you will find far more positive than dangerous situations stemming from your being different.
Tip: If you are out drinking until 2am and decide to walk alone down a dark street, you are asking for trouble regardless of your race. I would also be wary of inviting groups of people (particularly a group of young guys to drink with) you don't know 'back to your pad'.
Good luck.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,463,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
I think that was just a propaganda.

"Jews" is not a race anyway. It is a religion. Jewish people comes from all races, there are white jews, black jews etc...

Hitler from what I recall was a christian.
Judaism is a religion and a cultural identity, the point is that it was possible that there might have been someone in his lineage that practice judaism. I'm looking at the population of the area at the time and the fact that it has not been proven who his grandfather was.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,463,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Actually they ARE a financial protest group.
Listen closely to what they are saying.
The roots of racism in Russia are basically the same as the roots of racism in Germany.
Germans were squeezed because of the conditions imposed on them by the victors of the WWI and Jews/Blacks became the scapegoats of German misery.
Russians were squeezed by the events of the 90ies, and Asians/people of color became the scapegoats of their misery.
What you did was give a reason as to why they do what they do, they are still attacking anyone they does not look like them. So what would that be called? If I'm not mistaken is'nt one of the priciples of the Nazis forum is to promote the aryan race? Hmmmm, if it sounds like a fart and smells like a fart don't tell it is something that you ate, it is still a fart!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,509,544 times
I'm too lazy to check if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but despite its possibly large amount of racism, one Russian town actually did elect a Black official back in 2010:

Russia Has A Black Elected Official Jean Gregoire Sagbo | Bossip

Old 03-14-2014, 09:34 AM

84 posts, read 70,753 times
You can visit Russia without fear if you are black. And you are to remember the next things:

- Black people are still rare in Russia. So children and some adults can pay attention for you. You haven't be astonished for it.

- I'm sorry, the word "n***" is used in Russia. Many people even don't know the word is negative for you. They don't want to injure you! I beg your pardon one more time.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,363,631 times
Russians are not very good with tolerating anything different than what "majority" is.... so being black, gay, or muslim will be a problem, thats nothing new.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 PM

99 posts, read 494,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I was in Venice and I remember some Africans in the square selling some knock off watches and purses to the tourist the police can and beat them down like they owned them eventhough there were a group of us watching them. All through my visit (work) in Northern Italy I had no probelm of being treated ill by anyone, even a Gypsy tried to pick pocket my friend like he was anyone else............Wadda a country!

I will admit that whenever a warning is issued to the people of color not to ride buses at night or walk alone, I will take heed because they are for a reason
A few years ago in Orange County, cops beat a homeless, mentally ill white man to death. The cops were acquitted. A few months ago in Texas, a drunken, underage teen ran his car into four white people, killing them all. He was acquitted.

Wadda country, right? The supposed Africans you allegedly saw beaten are still alive. These white folks were actually killed... and the perpetrators acquitted.

Throughout my time in OC, I never had a problem being treated badly by anyone. In Italy, everyone was warm to me and seemed to be attracted to me, more so than the white friends I was with.

Sorry, buddy. Try a little harder. I *still* feel privileged. ;-)

Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 PM

77,942 posts, read 69,884,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I'm black and lived in Russia for nearly seven years (and in Ukraine for two years).
I would say, overall, racist incidents, for me, were rather rare. Sure, I had idiots calling me the 'n-word' on occasion, but I chalked that up as much to the influence of bad American hip-hop as I did to actual racist intent. Plus, many people surely didn't know how deeply offensive the word means in the American context (heck, a lot of Americans still don't understand...many of them black).
My advice: If you want to go to Russia, GO. While unpleasant incidences are possible, my guess is you will find far more positive than dangerous situations stemming from your being different.
Tip: If you are out drinking until 2am and decide to walk alone down a dark street, you are asking for trouble regardless of your race. I would also be wary of inviting groups of people (particularly a group of young guys to drink with) you don't know 'back to your pad'.
Good luck.
Weren't you mainly in the Russian Far East? That's different. Now Ukraine, that's a fair test.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 PM

77,942 posts, read 69,884,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Even more ironic is that Hitler was part Jewish
Actually , it was Lenin who was part Jewish. His mother was Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or