U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:06 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,729,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
No, it isn't. You are a very poor country actually. It may work as you say out if you don't have to study, don't get ill, don't need several cars, find that one honest employer that allows you to work 40 hours without overtime, eat only fast food instead of fresh groceries but that does not apply to 99% of all Americans(except the fast food perhaps).

In addition, we have 30 - 40 days paid leave, unlimited sick leave so even when we earn 10% - 20% less, we still earn more per hour actually worked than you do.

Some random statistic doesn't mean anything, you can't even compare US overall to Europe. The difference inside the US itself in costs of living for example between Manhattan and rural Alabama is so large it makes no sense. But keep trying anyway.
I get ill but when i get ill all i have to do is pay $10 for some Advil.... lol
Its not like your Average American needs to get surgeries every other month.
I can handle paying student loans and car payments.
Sorry to keep disappointing you but ts incredibly easy to find someone who will let you work 40 hours a week.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:20 PM
FBF

572 posts, read 693,233 times
Without guaranteed annual paid and sick leave (while other developed countries grant) and more job protection.

Plus, it is easier to move up the social ladder in those other countries since post graduate schools are much more affordable compared to the States.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM

392 posts, read 415,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
And now factor in that getting ill in the US can cost you 10.000$s to 100.000$s even if you have insurance, studying costs 20.000$ to 40.000$ per year in the US, you can hardly live without a car(or several per family) in the US, groceries are at least twice as expensive in the US, Americans work 60 hours per week for a slightly higher average income whereas we work 30 - 40 hours per week.

They should be making 2x - 3x our salaries to have the same standard of living like over here in Western Europe but in reality they earn on average like 10% to 20% more than we do.
That the standard of living is better in the US than in Europe is a bitter pill to swallow for many in Europe. And the differance is widening. The liberal European hates the very thought of that capitalist USA might be on the right track - and Europe not - and that they actually might be doing things right in the US.

Also, they will not realize that the United States of Europe will be a failure. Europe can never be unitized like the US. Imagine what it costs to sivilize the PIGS-countries...let alone..they now want to include the Ukraine...what is that going to cost?

Groceries cost twice as much in the US??? Are you real??? We live in Scandinavia - and groceries here are generally 5 times as costly here than in the US.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,948,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
That the standard of living is better in the US than in Europe is a bitter pill to swallow for many in Europe. And the differance is widening.
That the standard of living is much better in Europe than in the US is a bitter pill to swallow for many in the US. And the difference is widening. 60 million Americans on food stamps, an equal amount without health insurance. Middle class is impoverishing rapidly and are becoming the new poor. Look at Obama's last 2 speeches on these issues. And after the housing bubble comes the education bubble. All unthinkable here in Europe.

Like I said before, you'd need to earn on average a factor 2-3x more before you would catch up on our living standard.

Quote:
Groceries cost twice as much in the US??? Are you real??? We live in Scandinavia - and groceries here are generally 5 times as costly here than in the US.
What are you buying then, imported stuff from the US with 25% Scandinavian VAT on top?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:27 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,729,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I get ill but when i get ill all i have to do is pay $10 for some Advil.... lol
Its not like your Average American needs to get surgeries every other month.
I can handle paying student loans and car payments.
Sorry to keep disappointing you but ts incredibly easy to find someone who will let you work 40 hours a week.
*crickets*

Old 03-16-2014, 05:13 PM

8,133 posts, read 6,689,177 times
A thread asking Europeans if they would move to the US or Canada is bound to become a duplicate of this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or