U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Bridgeport, Chicago
150 posts, read 197,988 times
Reputation: 273

Advertisements

I'm an American that has lived in Prague, CZ for 10 years now. I work for a US company and have traveled everywhere either on business or vacation. Europe is a lot of fun but personally I can't wait to move back to the US and I'm planning to do it in 2015. Europe gave me great career experience (at the cost of crap salaries) and a cheaper higher education through a UK University but job prospects for professional growth are bad, unemployment is generally much higher, salaries lower, taxes sky-high, cost of living is higher and buying-power is much lower here. In Prague a mortgage costs on average 80% of average disposable income and property values are so high you can only rent, buy out in the country where there is no infrastructure and deal with traffic or like most young people live with their parents.

Also people here have no morals and I don't want to raise my kid here. Hard drugs and prostitution, under-aged drinking run rampant and everyone smokes weed which gets old after a while. I don't agree with the general laziness pervasive amongst the youth here which is not helped by a severe lack of competitive sports in schools.. Look at results for McDonald's for example: profits continue to decline in the US but are surging in Europe, I see more and more fat kids, its really sad but its not looking so hot for the next generation of kids in Europe. People complaining about a nanny-state culture in the U.S. have no idea its nothing compared to what's happening in Europe.

 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 PM
 
1,954 posts, read 1,946,610 times
Reputation: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do they try to rip you off in stores? Or when applying for a job?
For example, we were sold ClearWire 4G internet although it wasn't even available where we lived. The seller checked in his system when we specifically asked if it was available at our address and said it was fine just to get his sales provision. Clearwire refunded everything afterwards btw and apoligized this had happened.
Quote:
The key to dealing with urban sprawl is to choose your location carefully. Pick a part of town that has most, or all, the shops you need, so you can walk to the grocery, the pharmacy, to a few restaurants, etc. It can be done. I've lived in the US all my life, never had a car until recently, and walked to get most of what I needed. The bus systems where I've lived were fine for going across town or downtown to special events.
I know there are some places like NY where it is possible to walk and use public transportation but usually it is rare. And we found out that places which have 'good public transportation' and 'walkable amemities' according to US standards are still very poor for European standards. We lived in Austin and that is not a walkable town, you need a car there for everything. But really, that is true for most of the US.

I would never move to Canada either. The snow and cold most of the year would just kill me.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,234 posts, read 23,685,317 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon010181 View Post
I'm an American that has lived in Prague, CZ for 10 years now. I work for a US company and have traveled everywhere either on business or vacation. Europe is a lot of fun but personally I can't wait to move back to the US and I'm planning to do it in 2015. Europe gave me great career experience (at the cost of crap salaries) and a cheaper higher education through a UK University but job prospects for professional growth are bad, unemployment is generally much higher, salaries lower, taxes sky-high, cost of living is higher and buying-power is much lower here. In Prague a mortgage costs on average 80% of average disposable income and property values are so high you can only rent, buy out in the country where there is no infrastructure and deal with traffic or like most young people live with their parents.

Also people here have no morals and I don't want to raise my kid here. Hard drugs and prostitution, under-aged drinking run rampant and everyone smokes weed which gets old after a while. I don't agree with the general laziness pervasive amongst the youth here which is not helped by a severe lack of competitive sports in schools.. Look at results for McDonald's for example: profits continue to decline in the US but are surging in Europe, I see more and more fat kids, its really sad but its not looking so hot for the next generation of kids in Europe. People complaining about a nanny-state culture in the U.S. have no idea its nothing compared to what's happening in Europe.
>lives in Prague
>is an expert on everywhere in Europe, as if it as homogenous unit

 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 PM
 
13,250 posts, read 17,789,000 times
Reputation: 19918
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
For example, we were sold ClearWire 4G internet although it wasn't even available where we lived. The seller checked in his system when we specifically asked if it was available at our address and said it was fine just to get his sales provision. Clearwire refunded everything afterwards btw and apoligized this had happened. .
I am glad you did not purchase a used car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I know there are some places like NY where it is possible to walk and use public transportation but usually it is rare. And we found out that places which have 'good public transportation' and 'walkable amemities' according to US standards are still very poor for European standards. We lived in Austin and that is not a walkable town, you need a car there for everything. But really, that is true for most of the US..
What is European standard? Munich or Cadiz? I actually prefer not to go grocery shopping burro style and using a car instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I would never move to Canada either. The snow and cold most of the year would just kill me.
I hope you have found a place to your liking.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:39 PM
 
599 posts, read 558,182 times
Reputation: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

What is European standard? Munich or Cadiz? I actually prefer not to go grocery shopping burro style and using a car instead.
There are places in Europe where people go grocery shopping using a donkey?
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM
 
1,954 posts, read 1,946,610 times
Reputation: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What is European standard? Munich or Cadiz? I actually prefer not to go grocery shopping burro style and using a car instead.
Its like the Trader Joe's in downtown Chicago. They are very small compared to for example a Wallmart or Costco, have much less choice and people who live around those mostly go there on foot and just buy a basket full of groceries. They don't even have dedicated parking spots. That is pretty common over here.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,234 posts, read 23,685,317 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
There are places in Europe where people go grocery shopping using a donkey?
I go grocery shopping in my car - I buy a lot of shopping, and I couldn't carry it all. If I'm going to get a few things, rather than a big shop, I'll walk there and back (2 miles).
 
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Bretagne, FRANCE
194 posts, read 219,224 times
Reputation: 489
Not a chance.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,527,106 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon010181 View Post
I'm an American that has lived in Prague, CZ for 10 years now. I work for a US company and have traveled everywhere either on business or vacation. Europe is a lot of fun but personally I can't wait to move back to the US and I'm planning to do it in 2015. Europe gave me great career experience (at the cost of crap salaries) and a cheaper higher education through a UK University but job prospects for professional growth are bad, unemployment is generally much higher, salaries lower, taxes sky-high, cost of living is higher and buying-power is much lower here. In Prague a mortgage costs on average 80% of average disposable income and property values are so high you can only rent, buy out in the country where there is no infrastructure and deal with traffic or like most young people live with their parents.

Also people here have no morals and I don't want to raise my kid here. Hard drugs and prostitution, under-aged drinking run rampant and everyone smokes weed which gets old after a while. I don't agree with the general laziness pervasive amongst the youth here which is not helped by a severe lack of competitive sports in schools.. Look at results for McDonald's for example: profits continue to decline in the US but are surging in Europe, I see more and more fat kids, its really sad but its not looking so hot for the next generation of kids in Europe. People complaining about a nanny-state culture in the U.S. have no idea its nothing compared to what's happening in Europe.
And everyone doesn't do that in America!

Dream on they are flipping legalising weed there! And its nothing like that here at all...
 
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,527,106 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
>lives in Prague
>is an expert on everywhere in Europe, as if it as homogenous unit

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top