Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 AM

20,683 posts, read 23,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Experiences you could justify generalizing to all of Canada??
Yep, was godawful.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:05 AM

20,683 posts, read 23,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Canada is larger in area than Europe with plenty of regional variations... Having a bad experience in Winnipeg (heck in the winter everyone has bad experiences there lol) and saying you wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Canada, would be like me saying I had bad experiences in Barcelona and thus I wouldn't want to live in Belfast.
Well no its not the same because they are completely foreign countries.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM

553 posts, read 861,454 times
Living some years in the US would be a great experience. But moving definitely ? No. And it's the same for most people around here. It's not surprising.. French never were an emigration population. Most of the time if a French have to leave definitely France it's for a sunny island.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:54 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,208,261 times
I have visit several places on US and Canada and if necassery, could think to stay some years at some places on California or at Canada, Vancouver...But no place like home,living in US or Canada can not give to me anything what I need or want.
I have born to finn and will stay here, to the end of my life.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 PM

2,835 posts, read 3,158,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Living some years in the US would be a great experience. But moving definitely ? No. And it's the same for most people around here. It's not surprising.. French never were an emigration population. Most of the time if a French have to leave definitely France it's for a sunny island.
Interesting. Some of my ancestors came from France to the US in the 19th century

Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM
FBF

602 posts, read 926,148 times
The main thing that sucks with having an American passport is if you wish to move abroad, you are still required to file taxes despite not living there anymore and the banks in your host country are required to report American citizen assets to Uncle Sam.....

Talk about big overreachment of government even outside its jurisdiction.

It is like it is punishing us Americans who want to explore and experience life outside the US.

At least Canada does not tax you abroad unless you still own property over there.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:43 PM

89 posts, read 168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
The main thing that sucks with having an American passport is if you wish to move abroad, you are still required to file taxes despite not living there anymore and the banks in your host country are required to report American citizen assets to Uncle Sam.....

Talk about big overreachment of government even outside its jurisdiction.

It is like it is punishing us Americans who want to explore and experience life outside the US.

At least Canada does not tax you abroad unless you still own property over there.

Only if you make over a certain amount (rich) will they force you to pay taxes anywhere. Otherwise it's no big deal.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,896,539 times
We have lived in the US for some time and moved back here. The US is worse in just about anything: job market, employee rights, healthcare, price and quality of groceries and food, quality of housing, lots of urban decay, overall worse quality of consumer products, no infrastructure for public transportation, cycling or walking.

Actually, the worst is despite the overall friendliness of the Americans, everyone is trying to rip you off. In stores, when trying to rent a place, when trying to buy a car, when applying for a job. And we hated the urban sprawl and large distances overall. Every small daily errand takes a long time to do because of the huge distances.

Quality of live is just much better over here in Europe. I will never move to the US or even visit it again.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 PM
FBF

602 posts, read 926,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
Only if you make over a certain amount (rich) will they force you to pay taxes anywhere. Otherwise it's no big deal.
No, you are still required to file your taxes regardless of income.

It costs hundreds of dollars for someone filing your foreign taxes in your host country and Uncle Sam is making it harder for middle class Americans to open a bank account in their host country because the banks do not want to deal with the US government meddling and costs to appease spying on its non-wealthy citizens.

FATCA should only apply to wealthy American citizens who live in the states and have secret Swiss banking accounts, not those normal Americans who no longer live in the States.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
We have lived in the US for some time and moved back here. The US is worse in just about anything: job market, employee rights, healthcare, price and quality of groceries and food, quality of housing, lots of urban decay, overall worse quality of consumer products, no infrastructure for public transportation, cycling or walking.

Actually, the worst is despite the overall friendliness of the Americans, everyone is trying to rip you off. In stores, when trying to rent a place, when trying to buy a car, when applying for a job. And we hated the urban sprawl and large distances overall. Every small daily errand takes a long time to do because of the huge distances.

Quality of live is just much better over here in Europe. I will never move to the US or even visit it again.
How do they try to rip you off in stores? Or when applying for a job?

The key to dealing with urban sprawl is to choose your location carefully. Pick a part of town that has most, or all, the shops you need, so you can walk to the grocery, the pharmacy, to a few restaurants, etc. It can be done. I've lived in the US all my life, never had a car until recently, and walked to get most of what I needed. The bus systems where I've lived were fine for going across town or downtown to special events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe