Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 PM

595 posts, read 719,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Speaking of Brazil, it is an emerging power in the world and became member of G20, BRICS, and first country in South America to host the Summer Olympics mainly because Brazil was able to hold on to its territory since its country was formed. Contrast with Gran Colombia and Central America which kept getting split up into tiny countries… they will never have a powerful presence globally. With huge land and resources as well as a population of 200 million, Brazil will soon eclipse Germany, the UK and France politically and economy if Germany, the UK and France don't form their United States. Then why do you criticize the EU but prefer Brazil?
But then it is only a problem for France, Germany and the UK, not for the rest of the continent.
Poorest and least important countries of the European Union already have a disadvantage relationship with the rich and powerful countries, so the situation would not change nor improve with this federation.

And I don't think Portugal would reject its national sovereignty only to favor the interests of other countries and that France and Germany can compete at the global sphere against Brazil, the country with which it shares language, culture and history and that most Portuguese prefer to emigrate to escape the crisis, rather than to another European country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:58 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times
All of the Eastern European countries countries that have joined the EU have shown dramatic economic growth, far outpacing the countries that did not join the EU. Income per capita has grown sharply since the mid 1990s, more than doubling for the former Soviet countries, and increasing about 50 percent for the Eastern Bloc countries (such as the Czech Republic) that have joined the EU. On the other hand, the countries that did not join have stagnated, seeing a standard of living that has barely budged since the 1990s.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:28 AM

81 posts, read 108,897 times
But those countries suffer gross inequalities and end up in the esphere of another country, and don't contribute much except as consumers and for relocation. Hungary, Poland and old Checkoslovaquia, yes, but no more.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
There are fundamental flaws with the EU. For instance the voting system: basically the same system that already fails to represent reality on the national level has been extended to the EU level. In Germany for instance a slight majority of people lean left, but they have a conservative government because the left votes are split on several parties. I would even prefer a two-party system, one conservative and one progressive one. Whoever gets the most votes governs, and the other automatically becomes the mighty opposition. I say mighty because the screwed-up election system in Germany has lead to a conservative-progressive coalition government lead by conservatives. The biggest left party is all but silenced as it is caught in the coalition. There is basically no opposition left anymore, which is rather worrying.
Also, unlike within countries the political realities vary a lot from country to country. If a smaller country is very left, but big ones to the right, the EU government will be conservative and the people in the smaller country will be governed by people opposed to the majority vote there.

I wonder why there is no referendum that really asks people clearly if they even want the EU. They could add a check box to the ballot paper for the upcoming EU election:
- None of the above parties because I am in favor of terminating the EU including the Euro

Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
I
Quote:
wonder why there is no referendum that really asks people clearly if they even want the EU. They could add a check box to the ballot paper for the upcoming EU election:
- None of the above parties because I am in favor of terminating the EU including the Euro
And I'm wondering what is the true purpose of United States of Europe? For security? For econmics? For trade efficiencies? For harnessing technologies? And these 'states' that will be formed. If I'm reading it right that would mean that each state would give up their sovereignity to a federation? Whoa. Wow. I suggest that has the chance of a snowball through hell.

At this point we can see that the EU creaks today even on security and economic matters. So to make Europe say 'One United States' gives alot of credence to the point that each individual state, states/territories mind you that have existed in certian ways within themeslves as well towards others for centuries, can overcome their differences when it comes to a great union. A very big idea but really it taxes implementation.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I

And I'm wondering what is the true purpose of United States of Europe? For security? For econmics? For trade efficiencies? For harnessing technologies? And these 'states' that will be formed. If I'm reading it right that would mean that each state would give up their sovereignity to a federation? Whoa. Wow. I suggest that has the chance of a snowball through hell.

At this point we can see that the EU creaks today even on security and economic matters. So to make Europe say 'One United States' gives alot of credence to the point that each individual state, states/territories mind you that have existed in certian ways within themeslves as well towards others for centuries, can overcome their differences when it comes to a great union. A very big idea but really it taxes implementation.
The thing is giving up sovereignty is done in a gradual, clandestine way. The parties one can choose in the elections are all in favor of the EU, none of them says we don't want countries to lose their sovereignty and hence cut the EU back. The voter can only choose from pro-EU parties which only differ in the ways they want to see the EU implemented. Those politicians are implementing a kind of pseudo-democratic bureaucratic dictatorship against the will of most Europeans.

I have no idea what the purpose of the EU is supposed to be. Economically it is not necessary. Countries could trade as independent countries like they have always done.
Security, well, some say the EU prevents wars in Europe. I disagree. They say there have been no wars because of the EU. I think that is hijacking a fact in order to justify something else with it. There have been no wars because a) of the memories of WWI and WWII, b) because humanity has simply moved on; almost around the world humans are much more civilized now than 70 years ago; going to war is just a really odd idea for most Europeans, c) we have different political safeguards on the national level, d) there are satellites everywhere, everybody knows nobody can invade another country without it being noticed early on, e) countries are closely connected through the economy, investments, migration, etc., f) the political empires that used to exist in Europe are gone (Prussia, Austria, etc.), g) most European countries have no money for wars, they all have huge debts, even Germany.

All of that does not require the EU, though. I am in favor of an EU merely in terms of defense and external borders. Everything within those external borders should return to the pre-EU state in political and economic terms, though. Companies from different countries can work together just like before if they want to. Countries can also help each other with credits if necessary. But everything on a voluntary basis, i.e. not coordinated by centralist, corrupt bureaucrats in Brussels. And since we would have a common defense union, that would also help prevent internal European conflicts as our military would be unified.

I think one reason pro-EU people have is that they have fallen for the foolish idea that bigger is better. Some economists keep preaching that only giant trade blocks will survive in the future, that basically it is China vs. Europe vs. the US vs. India etc.
I think that is nonsense. Big blocks only lead to big problems. One can see it with companies: small and medium-sized companies are more solid than big corporations. Big units tend to become too big to fail, which can be a very expensive mess should the EU governments screw up. If a single country screws up and goes down the drain, bad enough, but not really a problem that can't be fixed.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
All of the Eastern European countries countries that have joined the EU have shown dramatic economic growth, far outpacing the countries that did not join the EU. Income per capita has grown sharply since the mid 1990s, more than doubling for the former Soviet countries, and increasing about 50 percent for the Eastern Bloc countries (such as the Czech Republic) that have joined the EU. On the other hand, the countries that did not join have stagnated, seeing a standard of living that has barely budged since the 1990s.
Those countries were down, when you are down the only way is up. They improved because they changed their systems, not because they joined the EU. They might as well have stayed independent and become like Switzerland.
Plus, within the EU one region's success if often the other's failure. There are huge amounts of subsidies flowing to poorer regions and entire industries, at the expense of others. Just ask the Germans along the former German-German border where subsidies and incentives for the eastern parts have lead to western parts suffering greatly, for instance in northern Hesse.

You will also see a huge difference in development among the countries that have joined, and some countries that have been in the EU for a long time have basically gone bankrupt.

Not to mention that many of those countries that joined the EU do not have to carry the burden of using the strong Euro, unlike other weak EU economies like Portugal or Spain.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM

What I think is important is that whatever the EU becomes, there must always be the option for every member country to leave the EU peacefully at any time if that is what the majority of that country decides per referendum, election or whatever. Unlike in the US where only Texas is allowed to leave, if I remember correctly.
The EU must always remain reversible.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those countries were down, when you are down the only way is up. They improved because they changed their systems, not because they joined the EU. They might as well have stayed independent and become like Switzerland.
Plus, within the EU one region's success if often the other's failure. There are huge amounts of subsidies flowing to poorer regions and entire industries, at the expense of others. Just ask the Germans along the former German-German border where subsidies and incentives for the eastern parts have lead to western parts suffering greatly, for instance in northern Hesse.

You will also see a huge difference in development among the countries that have joined, and some countries that have been in the EU for a long time have basically gone bankrupt.

Not to mention that many of those countries that joined the EU do not have to carry the burden of using the strong Euro, unlike other weak EU economies like Portugal or Spain.
These problems exist only because the EU still hasn't reached the final stage of a political federation. Take Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Greece for examples. Currently their credit ratings are close to trash and investors have no confidence investing in their housing and infrastructure. They are also drowned by debt. However, under Federal Europe, its debt and poor debt rating will no longer be national and foreign investors will be willing to invest more in these regions since Federal Europe overall is more stable. In other words, these countries will no longer have to function as a national government if they are not competitive enough. Isn't that much more efficient in the long run? The country can simply do what it is strong in doing.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The thing is giving up sovereignty is done in a gradual, clandestine way. The parties one can choose in the elections are all in favor of the EU, none of them says we don't want countries to lose their sovereignty and hence cut the EU back. The voter can only choose from pro-EU parties which only differ in the ways they want to see the EU implemented. Those politicians are implementing a kind of pseudo-democratic bureaucratic dictatorship against the will of most Europeans.
Not a single country without a eurosceptic party comes to my mind. Most of them just can't be taken serious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe