Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times

Advertisements

There has been quite a lot of sources nowadays about high-end EU officials attempting to move the EU towards a political federation like the Europe's version of the United States.

I personally think this integration into the European federation is inevitable, but before euro-phobes get pissed at me, I think it should be decided not by the citizens through a gradual process by which a national referendum in each member state of the EU will be held to let everyone in each member state decide whether they want to keep status quo or join the European superstate.

First, ministers from the EU commission should lay out all the rules, policies, and implications to everyone living in the European Union. For example, they will lay out the European federation's tax policies, single banking system, official languages at national level (probably English, French, German), change in administrative divisions, that all states have to adopt the Euro and all EU treaties without any opt-outs upon entering the European federation, and that the European federation will participate as a single entity in all sports team, etc.

Then each EU country will hold a referendum allowing their citizens to vote whether they want to join the European federation or prefer the status quo as merely a EU member. Of course, we expect most of the 28 EU countries will refuse to join this new superstate in their first referendum, but I think there will be a few countries that will choose to join the European Federation (such as Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, France, Germany, etc.) Those countries that pass this referendum will first integrate into the European superstate.

The countries that chose not to join the European federation can observe how the European Federation does economically and politically. With unified tax and a single banking system, I believe there is a good chance the new superstate will prosper. Then those individual sovereign countries can gradually join the United States of Europe through future referendums.

I don't see anything wrong with my suggestion as long as it respects the wills of citizens in the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 PM

291 posts, read 831,579 times
And what about exit referendums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
... and that the European federation will participate as a single entity in all sports team...
Now this would make European football championship rather dull.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 PM

158 posts, read 382,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post

True that!
Maybe that's why American Footbal is so dull for Europeans, we don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Of course every country should be allowed to hold this and exit as long as they are only in EU and haven't join the federation.

Quote:
I am pretty sure the UK won't join the federation so England against Germany/France/Spain/Italy might be a good match

Old 03-14-2014, 04:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
OOOoooo....an "European Superstate"....destroy nations and build a "superstate"? and who will be at the head f your "mega-superstate"? an Emperor? a new Carolus Magnus? you are against the russian superstate -143 million people only-but want a half billion European Empire. Sorry to say, but most Europeans are staunchly opposed to these imperial dreams and cherish their own small nations!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:36 AM

667 posts, read 939,972 times
Hopefully it's not gonna happen!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
OOOoooo....an "European Superstate"....destroy nations and build a "superstate"? and who will be at the head f your "mega-superstate"? an Emperor? a new Carolus Magnus? you are against the russian superstate -143 million people only-but want a half billion European Empire. Sorry to say, but most Europeans are staunchly opposed to these imperial dreams and cherish their own small nations!
Are you kidding me? Of course citizens of the Superstate will democratically elect the President of the Superstate. There is no imperialism at all. FYI, I am not against the Russian superstate. If Putin wanted to rebuild the USSR, he could have absorbed South Ossetia, Transnistria, and Abkhazia when they broke away from their original country… but he didn't.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:03 AM

Ten EU foreign ministers participating in a “study group for the future of Europe” aim to exert pressure to transform the EU into a federation along the lines of the US. Together they have prepared what the front-page headline in Die Presse describes as a “Plan for transformation into a European state.”
European Union: 10 countries for a United States of Europe | Presseurop.eu: European news, cartoons and press reviews
* Foreign ministers from Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and Spain.

^ We expect these 10 nations to be the first ones to join the Superstate. Other countries can observe how it goes before letting their citizens decide whether to join or remain in the EU only. All i purport is that the integration process be gradual and smooth so the people will have the opportunity to examine the situation and decide for themselves.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 AM

50 posts, read 101,969 times
It's not gonna happen, don't worry, at least in those terms.

I don't think that is possible for a number of reasons.

First of all, Europe is not the USA. There's several nations-state in the old continent, while arguably there's only one nation-state in the new world. Second, the EU only works out of respect to each one's particular individualities; that is exactly what is not happening now, because there's a pan-germanization of Europe all over again, this time without guns, but with the larger economy crushing the smaller ones. This is painfully wrong. Third, and again following the second, another problem that is happening in the EU right now is that all countries are producing the same things, instead of focusing in what they do best, at regional levels. Another mistake of the EU right now, is that politicians are deciding the future without caring for the people. So there's a growing difference between what each side wants - employment versus "EU" bureaucracy.

You probably don't realize, but Europe's main advantage all over the world is exactly the richness of its diversity, and EU only gains to protect that. So if EU advances to another level, it should be in terms of single military defense and probably tax and bank policies. In political terms, all countries should remain independent.

I'm pro-Europe (well, not this EU anyway) but i don't necessarily need to speak English to feel like a citizen of a Union, if you know what i mean.

Again, that ideia of a single sports team - you're killing Europe's diversity. That is the opposite of prosperity.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Another institutional problem : Europe has a variety of constitutions : there are constitutional monarchies, federal republics (Germany) , centralized republics (France). In order to have one federal european state, it should be necessary to harmonize all that. But I don't think to have an example that the British would be happy seeing their queen bowig in deference to the new Emperor or President or Leader of Europe. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe