U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM
 
2,647 posts, read 4,080,102 times
Reputation: 2452

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
I don't think that you guys get it. Anyone who had the overinflated opinion that the Irish have of themselves would be rightfully pilloried by anyone who would bear witness to it. It's not about a parade. It's about a nauseating culture of endless self-congratulation.
I've never met an Irish person who has an overinflated opinion of Ireland or the Irish. In fact a lot of Irish have a very non-biased and realistic opinion of Ireland. If you ever read comments in Irish papers alot of the Irish have a negative opinion. You just don't like Irish because what you're sprouting is BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
 
121 posts, read 87,917 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I've never met an Irish person who has an overinflated opinion of Ireland or the Irish. In fact a lot of Irish have a very non-biased and realistic opinion of Ireland. If you ever read comments in Irish papers alot of the Irish have a negative opinion. You just don't like Irish because what you're sprouting is BS.
I don't hate Irish people, but I'm aware that Irish people don't like Americans. I became aware of it after I'd spend time in Ireland after spending 2 years in London, reading the Irish Independent and watching the RTE. It really became crystallised after reading Irish media immediately following the Sept. 11 attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2014, 11:06 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,059 posts, read 9,867,107 times
Reputation: 9959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well your not Irish if you ancestors are protestant originating in Scotland.
What exactly is my "not Irish"? Do you mean an Irish knot? Additionally, I don't understand the rest of your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 PM
 
2,647 posts, read 4,080,102 times
Reputation: 2452
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
I don't hate Irish people, but I'm aware that Irish people don't like Americans. I became aware of it after I'd spend time in Ireland after spending 2 years in London, reading the Irish Independent and watching the RTE. It really became crystallised after reading Irish media immediately following the Sept. 11 attacks.
Most Irish like Americans very much. I've got family that went to the US and have always been very interested in the US. Most of the programs I watch and the books I read are American and set in America. Any media in a country can give a skewed view of what a population thinks.

I suppose there are people in any country that don't always agree with American politics but most people like Americans. I'm sure there are a lot of Americans that have visited Ireland and have had a very positive experience. Regarding September 11 all of Ireland were very supportive of the US as was most countries in the western world. Everyone felt great solidarity with Americans.

I think if a vote was taken in Ireland the majority of Irish would have a very high opinion of the US.

According to the 2012 U.S. Global Leadership Report, 67% of Irish people approve of U.S. leadership, the fourth-highest rating for any surveyed country in Europe.

Ireland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:41 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 19,566,655 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
That point has been made several times in this thread.

Another point that's been made several times in this thread is that when an American says they're Irish, they're referring to their heritage. It's something that happens in a country of immigrants.

I'm actually not Irish. Mostly German. But I don't claim that either. I'm an American thru and thru.

No American is confused as to where they were born, where they themselves are from. They are referring to their heritage and nothing else. It seems simple enough to understand.

When I said I was mostly German, without question you understood exactly what I meant. There was no need for me to explain that "No, I'm not actually from Germany, I was referring to my heritage." That was understood.

If you're a white American, your people came from somewhere else. This isn't always true for other countries...The 'What are you?' question seems to be an American phenomenon.

People from other European countries don't seem to get bent out of shape when an American says they are 'German, Polish' etc.. There's no confusion as to what the American is actually claiming..Judging by this thread, the confusion seems to an Irish phenomenon.
Well then they are American Irish not Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 19,566,655 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I've never met an Irish person who has an overinflated opinion of Ireland or the Irish. In fact a lot of Irish have a very non-biased and realistic opinion of Ireland. If you ever read comments in Irish papers alot of the Irish have a negative opinion. You just don't like Irish because what you're sprouting is BS.
Irish people actually run it down lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 19,566,655 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
What exactly is my "not Irish"? Do you mean an Irish knot? Additionally, I don't understand the rest of your statement.
It means basically that Northern Irish protestants are not Irish. I have ulster scots ancestry and they are no more Irish than the man in the moon.

They are presbyterian (totally different religion) and do not care about Irish culture. They see themselves as Scottish and don't have any kind of Irish culture at all. The lifestyle they live is different to a Catholic Irish one.

And you did say your ancestors were ulster scots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,694 posts, read 19,566,655 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
I don't hate Irish people, but I'm aware that Irish people don't like Americans. I became aware of it after I'd spend time in Ireland after spending 2 years in London, reading the Irish Independent and watching the RTE. It really became crystallised after reading Irish media immediately following the Sept. 11 attacks.
what!!!

There is a us preclearance in Dublin airport.. The only airport outside north america. There is also over 1 million americans visitors to this island per annum. Do NOT dare have the audacity to come out with that!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 AM
 
121 posts, read 87,917 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
what!!!

There is a us preclearance in Dublin airport.. The only airport outside north america. There is also over 1 million americans visitors to this island per annum. Do NOT dare have the audacity to come out with that!!!
I've been through that airport a dozen times. Pre-clearance is there so that they don't have to send Irish people back when they get to Boston or New York and not for any reason of cultural affinity. What does the number of visitors to Ireland have to do with anything? The vast majority have no idea what Irish people think about them. That's probably a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 AM
 
121 posts, read 87,917 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Most Irish like Americans very much. I've got family that went to the US and have always been very interested in the US. Most of the programs I watch and the books I read are American and set in America. Any media in a country can give a skewed view of what a population thinks.

I suppose there are people in any country that don't always agree with American politics but most people like Americans. I'm sure there are a lot of Americans that have visited Ireland and have had a very positive experience. Regarding September 11 all of Ireland were very supportive of the US as was most countries in the western world. Everyone felt great solidarity with Americans.

I think if a vote was taken in Ireland the majority of Irish would have a very high opinion of the US.

According to the 2012 U.S. Global Leadership Report, 67% of Irish people approve of U.S. leadership, the fourth-highest rating for any surveyed country in Europe.

Ireland

We're going to have to agree to disagree. "All of Ireland" certainly wasn't supportive after the Sept. 11 attacks. I remember bigots like Fintan O'Toole having a go on the day after it in The Guardian. There was a palpable sense of "they had it coming" from many western countries immediately afterward including Ireland, Canada, UK and Australia. You can actually look this information up in the digital age. Question Time on the BBC and the CBC's TOwn Hall Meeting immediately come to mind.

I think that a lot of Irish in solidarity with the EU subscribe to the new pan-European identity as "not American" rather than what it actually is. That might be less true with the housing bubble and financial crisis appearing to put some cracks in Dublin's relationship with Brussels, but it was certainly true before the housing bubble burst. I think that Irish people believe themselves to be our cultural, intellectual and moral superiors. It's just one guy's opinion, but I'd bet my left nugget that I've spent more time exposed to Irish media and traveling in Ireland than any American on this board who isn't an expat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top