Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The English actually were the first to unify Ireland. It was run by small heavies. The land ownership was the problem in Ireland, which was the same in England and still is - 0.66% of the population own 69% of the land in the UK. The Irish Land Commission was set by London to solve the problem. It was dissolved in 2000. There was also a famine in England and other parts of Europe at the same time as the Irish famine.

The English were responsible for keeping Scots kilt and the formation of the piped bands - they do that sort of thing.

The "No blacks, dogs or Irish" was because they were drunken yobs, no other reason. The Irish were oppressed, but no more than the Welsh, English or Scots. Maybe the English should have risen as well.

you had an interesting ( history ) teacher at school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 05:08 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
It is hilarious that these "Irish Americans" don't even know WHERE Ireland is, let alone been there.
To which ones are you referring?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 PM

326 posts, read 471,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
To which ones are you referring?
The Republic of Ireland ofcourse.. But i wouldn't be surprised if there are "Irish Americans" who's ancestors actually originated from, what is now, Northern Ireland but they still call themselves "Irish" instead of "British".

Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
The Republic of Ireland ofcourse.. But i wouldn't be surprised if there are "Irish Americans" who's ancestors actually originated from, what is now, Northern Ireland but they still call themselves "Irish" instead of "British".
I'm Scots-Irish, and I refer to myself as just that, or sometimes Celtic. And "British" is a broad brush, as I'm sure you're aware there's a large nationalist movement occurring in Scotland and it's been gaining momentum for decades.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:01 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Well your not Irish if you ancestors are protestant originating in Scotland.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:10 AM

121 posts, read 110,744 times
The Irish are possibly the most annoying jackasses on earth. All this crap about "Irish-Americans". What do you care what other people call themselves? And worst of all, they do it out of a sense of nationalism - that they're better than everyone else. Let me tell you - there's nothing better about being Irish than there is being French, Indian or Namibian. This is the kind of attitude that they call bigotry when it's the English saying it about them. Hypocrites.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:21 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
The Irish are possibly the most annoying jackasses on earth. All this crap about "Irish-Americans". What do you care what other people call themselves? And worst of all, they do it out of a sense of nationalism - that they're better than everyone else. Let me tell you - there's nothing better about being Irish than there is being French, Indian or Namibian. This is the kind of attitude that they call bigotry when it's the English saying it about them. Hypocrites.
Most of the people complaining about Irish-Americans are not Irish so I think your rant is a bit misplaced. And no one said that being Irish is better than anyone else. That is just you.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 AM

It's listening to the Irish crap on about it for years. Nobody ever calls the Irish out on it because unlike other nationalities where it's seen as gauche, Irish nationalism is seen as cute. It isn't cute. It's annoying to those of us who see it for what it is.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1curmudgeon View Post
It's listening to the Irish crap on about it for years. Nobody ever calls the Irish out on it because unlike other nationalities where it's seen as gauche, Irish nationalism is seen as cute. It isn't cute. It's annoying to those of us who see it for what it is.
Do you mean actual Irish people because the only place where St Patrick's Day is a big event is in the US. I don't know of any Irish people that make a particularly big deal of St Patrick's Day. My family did nothing.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:42 AM

I mean actual Irish people. In Ireland and around the world. St. Patrick's Day has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe