Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,642,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Americans are far more likely to have straight white teeth. British are more likely to have crooked and discolored teeth. Explain to me why that is?
Americans are superficial and spend a lot of money to get a perfect smile, while the British do something with their teeth if it affects chewing or for health reasons. Otherwise they won't do anything, but accept small flaws.

So what if your teeth are a bit crooked if they are healthy and work fine?

An European replies: "well, it doesn't matter".
An American replies: "You look disgusting you'll never get a job with that smile OMG OMG OMG".

Simple as that.

Same as the "ugly actor" syndrome. Not good-looking actors never get but roles as geeks, jerks, villains, Russians or losers in Hollywood productions, while in Europe talent is the key.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,893,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Americans are superficial and spend a lot of money to get a perfect smile, while the British do something with their teeth if it affects chewing or for health reasons. Otherwise they won't do anything, but accept small flaws.

So what if your teeth are a bit crooked if they are healthy and work fine?

An European replies: "well, it doesn't matter".
An American replies: "You look disgusting you'll never get a job with that smile OMG OMG OMG".

Simple as that.

Same as the "ugly actor" syndrome. Not good-looking actors never get but roles as geeks, jerks, villains, Russians or losers in Hollywood productions, while in Europe talent is the key.
Are you suggesting that Hollywood has no "ugly" actors? I'm guessing you have only seen a minimal amount of American movies and television. Actors come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds and looks. You need people of all kinds to make a movie look believable. The movies that contain only the superficial looking, cut, well groomed, and manicured celebrity types generally aren't critically acclaimed movies, more or less just an all bust Blockbuster playing on the cards of attracting audiences over its glorious looking people and impressive special effects. The REALLY good movies actually have "normal" or as you may call them, "Ugly" looking actors.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Are you suggesting that Britain has only "ugly" teeth? I'm guessing you have only seen a minimal amount of British persons and too much google images. Teeth come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds and looks. You need people of all kinds to make a claim look believable. The smiles that contain only the terrible looking, crooked, yellow, and rotten teeth types generally aren't critically acclaimed persons, more or less just an all bust tiny minority playing on the cards of attracting American audiences to strengthen the stereotypes. The REALLY normal population actually have "normal" or as you may call them, "healthy" teeth.

Settled?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Britain has only "ugly" teeth? I'm guessing you have only seen a minimal amount of British persons and too much google images. Teeth come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds and looks. You need people of all kinds to make a claim look believable. The smiles that contain only the terrible looking, crooked, yellow, and rotten teeth types generally aren't critically acclaimed persons, more or less just an all bust tiny minority playing on the cards of attracting American audiences to strengthen the stereotypes. The REALLY normal population actually have "normal" or as you may call them, "healthy" teeth.

Settled?
You are dodging the issue and my question. You aren't addressing how this stereotype came about, the issue that there really is a difference in the overall appearance and hygiene of European teeth and American teeth.

From an American who traveled to and stayed in Germany for awhile.

Discussing the stereotype that Europeans have bad teeth… | From Germanihon-Marie, with love

I wonder if a German or a Brit came to America if they would think we vest too much interest and time into our teeth?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Settled?
If I may take this to a more personal level, since you are after all European, I would ask you of your dental hygiene habits. If you could, please answer truthfully.

-How often do you brush your teeth per day?
-How often do you floss?
-How often do you use mouthwash?
-How often do you visit the dentist for a checkup or a cleaning if necessary?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You are dodging the issue and my question. You aren't addressing how this stereotype came about, the issue that there really is a difference in the overall appearance and hygiene of European teeth and American teeth.

From an American who traveled to and stayed in Germany for awhile.

Discussing the stereotype that Europeans have bad teeth… | From Germanihon-Marie, with love

I wonder if a German or a Brit came to America if they would think we vest too much interest and time into our teeth?
I don't know really. I think it's a very old stereotype that has just lived on. Say, after WWII it was probably true that Americans had better teeth, but nations like Britain are among the richest today and surely have a very high-class dental health system.

I think the reason is that people don't care as much of small aestethic flaws in Europe. For example I have a friend who lost a tooth years ago in a sporting accident, and the insurance didn't cover it. For him it's not a priority to get a prosthesis, but he takes it when he has enough spare money. He's also the only one I know who haven't got all their teeth left.

Last edited by Ariete; 03-25-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know really. I think it's a very old stereotype that has just lived on. Say, after WWII it was probably true that Americans had better teeth, but nations like Britain are among the richest today and surely have a very high-class dental health system.

I think the reason is that people don't care as much of small aestethic flaws in Europe. For example I have a friend who lost a tooth years ago in a sporting accident, and the insurance didn't cover it. For him it's not a priority to get a prosthesis, but he takes it when he has enough spare money. He's also the only one I know who haven't got all their teeth left.
Thanks, I think you got to the root of it here. I find it believable that much of this was conspired and transpired soon after WW2 when the US was booming and Europe was rebuilding from being war torn.

I'm not sure how dental insurance coverage works in its intricacies in the United States, but I know that if someone lost a tooth in any kind of professional sport it would immediately be filled. Even most ordinary people with an average income would find a way to literally fill that gap in their teeth. Teeth impressions in the United States are probably more superficial than they have to be or should be, but it's the way it is. Your smile and appearance can tell a lot about who you are and what kind of background you come from. It's almost a class thing, separating the ones who can afford it from the ones who can't afford it.

Still, the common American who doesn't spend extortionate amounts of money on dental surgeries or whitening screenings still has a decent level of dental hygiene I think, despite how common and prevalent junk food and sugary foods are here.

I brush twice a day, at least. I try to brush after a meal at work, if I'm able to.
I don't floss as often as I should, which should be everyday, but make an effort to when I remember.
I use mouthwash generally once every day or two, usually in my morning routine.
Due to my job status, it is mandatory I make a visit to the dentist twice a year for checkups or cleanings as required.

I don't have a glowing white and pearly smile obviously, but my teeth are mostly straight and have no discoloration to them.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Due to my job status, it is mandatory I make a visit to the dentist twice a year for checkups or cleanings as required.
This could well be one reason. Normal company healthcare is provided in the majority of companies, but if you want to have a tooth checkup, you'll have to pick up the phone yourself and nobody urges you to do so. In lower-end jobs dental healthcare is probably often not even covered.

My mom's born in the 50's and she have said that the mental hygiene and healthcare is like from another world today comparing to when she was a kid.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,234,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Do they? I've never met anyone with crooked, green teeth, and I talk to British people every day. Besides, people have already told you - having crooked teeth doesn't equate to having bad teeth. Bad teeth = cavities, extractions, fillings. Teeth go crooked not because the person doesn't look after them, but because that's how they grow.
Here is one curious thing that I have to mention. In the US they have tendency to remove the wisdom teeth in boys ( don't know about girls) at the age of 16-17, just when they start growing, in order to prevent the "crowding" of teeth. It seems to be quite common procedure in the US but not in Europe I'd guess. And since Anglo-Saxons ( and Northern Europeans in general) are egg-heads ( meaning they have not wider but longer jaws,) it might explain probably why Americans don't have "crowded" ( and hence crooked) teeth, while Europeans do.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 PM

327 posts, read 468,568 times
Quote:
It seems like it's mostly the UK, to be honest. I'm sure I'll draw a lot of hate and discontent from this, but from what I have seen, the dental hygiene in most of Europe does not seem to be on the same level as the United States.

It's not just the straight teeth that American clamor for, but from a lot of Europeans, primarily the British, it would seem that dirty or bad teeth are very common over there. Why is this?
that is like asking why are most Americans fat ? why is this ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe