Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 12:25 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times

Advertisements

You lost me when you blamed my country, albeit indirectly for the rise of Adolph hitler. Actually France and Britain had far more to do with the punitive treaty that ended ww1. This treaty did indeed motivate radicals in Germany, but we had little to do with it. The US was not a major player in ww1, we were only in the war for a year and our voice was small at the treaty table. Don't blame us for Hitler.

Why not eradicate ISIS? We are fighting them but in a limited way, the American public is not interested in a full war in Syria. This is also why the air strike on Assad will likely be a one time thing. It was only intended as a message regarding his use of poison gas.

How did we abuse Russia in the 90s? SHould NATO applicant nations to be turned away because it might upset Russia? A better question to ask is why all these Eastern European nations feared Russia so much that they could not wait to gain the security offered by NATO. Western nations have no interest in attacking russia or harming it in any way, the alliance is simply about joint protection. Do we in NATO land still need to fear the bear? Those in Ukraine and Georgia needed to if you remember correctly.

Putin stays in power in part because standing up to the big bad America is part of his gimmick. Russian people have been made to believe we are hostile to them or wish to dominate them. This is far from true, what on earth do we as a nation have to gain from it? Nothing. Anti American rhetoric is a great servant to Putins government, a wonderful distraction for his people from the domestic issues of Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 02:45 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,226,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
How did we abuse Russia in the 90s?
For example, you destroyed Yugoslavia. Without permission from the United Nations.

Quote:
SHould NATO applicant nations to be turned away because it might upset Russia? A better question to ask is why all these Eastern European nations feared Russia so much that they could not wait to gain the security offered by NATO.
NATO could say "no" to these countries.

Quote:
Western nations have no interest in attacking russia or harming it in any way, the alliance is simply about joint protection. Do we in NATO land still need to fear the bear?
Facts: German and US troops near the Russian border. Air Defense and US radar near the Russian border. This is an obvious threat to Russian security.

Quote:
Those in Ukraine and Georgia needed to if you remember correctly.
Yes, you did a good job there.

Quote:
Putin stays in power in part because standing up to the big bad America is part of his gimmick. Russian people have been made to believe we are hostile to them or wish to dominate them. This is far from true, what on earth do we as a nation have to gain from it? Nothing. Anti American rhetoric is a great servant to Putins government, a wonderful distraction for his people from the domestic issues of Russia.
Yes, Putin use it. But he does not lie, and this is the big problem.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:51 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,030 times
Positioning defensive forces inside NATO countries is called a threat to Russian security. This is nothing new to hear them claim this. All repressive regimes say the same thing. That's why Putin/Russia supports like minded Venezuela and Assad, as he seeks to defend their model of governance. It doesn't serve the average people very well but there are plenty of well honed methods to keep them in check. The Putin doctrine is anyone ruling a country has the right to kill a citizen who wants someone else to be president.

How did Hitler convince Germans to attack Europe? He did it by using the same rhetoric, convinced them that hostile foreigners want to dominate them so they better move first.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Positioning defensive forces inside NATO countries is called a threat to Russian security. This is nothing new to hear them claim this. All repressive regimes say the same thing. That's why Putin/Russia supports like minded Venezuela and Assad, as he seeks to defend their model of governance. It doesn't serve the average people very well but there are plenty of well honed methods to keep them in check. The Putin doctrine is anyone ruling a country has the right to kill a citizen who wants someone else to be president.

How did Hitler convince Germans to attack Europe? He did it by using the same rhetoric, convinced them that hostile foreigners want to dominate them so they better move first.
The army of Russia on the territory of Russia (with the exception of Syria). Your army is on the territory of other countries and on the border of Russia. But Putin is guilty. Beautiful logic. Especially when defensive missiles can be changed to offensive in a short time.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:03 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
The army of Russia on the territory of Russia (with the exception of Syria). Your army is on the territory of other countries and on the border of Russia. But Putin is guilty. Beautiful logic. Especially when defensive missiles can be changed to offensive in a short time.
The army of Russia is not in other countries? Are you sure about that?
Is a company of 600 soldiers really a threat to Russia's national security?

Last edited by DKM; 04-08-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM
DKM

Here's a quick list from my head of countries with Russian army (some uninvited):

Ukraine (Crimea)
Belarus
Moldova
At least 3 of the Stans
Georgia
Armenia

Old 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Here's a quick list from my head of countries with Russian army (some uninvited):

Ukraine (Crimea)
Belarus
Moldova
At least 3 of the Stans
Georgia
Armenia
Post-Soviet countries are not exactly "foreign (other countries)" in the understanding of Russians. But yes, thanks for the accuracy.

ps: Crimea is Russia.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Is a company of 600 soldiers really a threat to Russia's national security?
Yes. Because tomorrow they can be 600,000 legally. + Radars, air defense and other bases.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:16 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Post-Soviet countries are not exactly "foreign (other countries)" in the understanding of Russians. But yes, thanks for the accuracy.

ps: Crimea is Russia.
NATO countries are not exactly foreign in the understanding of other NATO countries including the US. We're one big happy safe and secure family. NATO's very existence is a collective defense against whomever rules Moscow. It is quite understandable why Russian supporters would be anti NATO, this keeps Russia from dominating its old lands that don't currently host Russian military. See a pattern here?

Crimea is Russia, we agree. I've been there twice, it never felt Ukrainian to me.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:39 PM

26,771 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
You lost me when you blamed my country, albeit indirectly for the rise of Adolph hitler. Actually France and Britain had far more to do with the punitive treaty that ended ww1. This treaty did indeed motivate radicals in Germany, but we had little to do with it. The US was not a major player in ww1, we were only in the war for a year and our voice was small at the treaty table. Don't blame us for Hitler.
I am only pointing at the fact that the US contributed to a problem, because of this specific debt of American allies, starting with Great Britain. It has got little to do with how much the US participated per se in the WWI, but where do you think the Germans got their money ( yet again) for the armament?

Quote:
Why not eradicate ISIS? We are fighting them but in a limited way, the American public is not interested in a full war in Syria.
Why it's there at the first place? I'll tell you why - because when Americans are trying to remove the dictators that stand on their way to access the oil, it ain't "democracy" that comes to fill the void; it's radical Islam. It's impossible to speak about any possible "democracy" in general, when it comes to Islamic countries period. You'd think that Americans would learn it the FIRST time around, after Iraq, but NOOOOOOO))))))

Quote:
This is also why the air strike on Assad will likely be a one time thing. It was only intended as a message regarding his use of poison gas.
All right then, so Assad will stop using poison gas ( although I still don't know all the details about the usage of it,) and he can proceed with holding on to his power?

Quote:
How did we abuse Russia in the 90s?
I think I wrote enough about it already, so I'll need to find links to my older posts.

Quote:
SHould NATO applicant nations to be turned away because it might upset Russia? A better question to ask is why all these Eastern European nations feared Russia so much that they could not wait to gain the security offered by NATO.
Ask yourself a question first, how did these countries ended up under Russian thumb and why? Obviously after the WWII Russia was doing what served primarily Russian national interests, not the interests of these countries. That's why they were happy to escape. But had they not sided with Germany, they could have been safer AFTER war.

Quote:
Western nations have no interest in attacking russia or harming it in any way,
Right. I believed in it for looong time, until the nineties came along.

Quote:
the alliance is simply about joint protection. Do we in NATO land still need to fear the bear? Those in Ukraine and Georgia needed to if you remember correctly.
When both Ukraine and Georgia decide to be involved in the proxy wars, they better watch out for their own weak spots.

Quote:
Putin stays in power in part because standing up to the big bad America is part of his gimmick. Russian people have been made to believe we are hostile to them or wish to dominate them.
Do you think that Russian people are THAT gullible to believe Putin about "big bad America" because he just *said so?* No, you ( as a representative of a younger generation of Americans (that's my guess) is missing the whole chunk of information, that American media will never fill you in, because it doesn't fit the narrative of the US government. But I was pointing at these facts from the day I joined this forum I think, warning that it's going to be a bumpy ride because of it, and now everything I could foresee more or less is knocking at the door. (Except for Syria of course, because I have totally forgotten that it was a long-standing Russian ally.)

Quote:
This is far from true, what on earth do we as a nation have to gain from it? Nothing. Anti American rhetoric is a great servant to Putins government, a wonderful distraction for his people from the domestic issues of Russia.
Hang on, let me look for my older posts...

Found it.

You can read here more on a subject - I hope It will give you a better understanding why Putin can use situation to his own advantage all he wants and why Russians support him today; these are the roots of it all -

The Fall of the Soviet Union.

Last edited by erasure; 04-08-2017 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe