Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 04:55 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think he meant something like that.

And he is right in many ways. Russia is a military country in many respects. So it was, is, and will be. And I do not know if it's good or bad. I'm inclined that this is good.

Russian culture is a "warrior culture" indeed - I've said it before and I will repeat it again.
I've seen it in "normal" Russian families ( not mine, lol) over and over again - particularly the way they raise boys. It's ingrained in them since their childhood.
I kinda understand that it's a necessity ( looking back at history of Russia,) but as I've already said on History forum, the quality of life in a country that has to devote so much of its resources to constantly assure its very existence from the day one, is never going to be as good as in the countries, that feel secure and protected. These countries will channel their resources for the betterment of daily life instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Russian culture is a "warrior culture" indeed - I've said it before and I will repeat it again.

No. Using boring stereotypes, the Russian culture is a "survival" culture. The German and Finnish cultures are "warrior" ones.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think he meant something like that.

https://youtu.be/PF6a1-6-dJc

Finnish version

And he is right in many ways. Russia is a military country in many respects. So it was, is, and will be. And I do not know if it's good or bad. I'm inclined that this is good.
P.S. Maxim, I hate this Zhanna Bichevskay crap.
If you have to post the "Farewell of Slavianka," do it the right way at least - the one and only, the marching band version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7lDfE5rSdI

Last edited by erasure; 04-14-2017 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 05:16 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
I've seen it in "normal" Russian families ( not mine, lol) over and over again - particularly the way they raise boys. It's ingrained in them since their childhood.
I kinda understand that it's a necessity ( looking back at history of Russia,) but as I've already said on History forum, the quality of life in a country that has to devote so much of its resources to constantly assure its very existence from the day one, is never going to be as good as in the countries, that feel secure and protected. These countries will channel their resources for the betterment of daily life instead.
Yes, especially considering that Russians have the third state for 100 years.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:16 PM

BTW, there is a theory which says that Finnish waltz was created by "German discipline" and "Russian romanticism".

Maybe it's true based on the songs I posted.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. Using boring stereotypes, the Russian culture is a "survival" culture. The German and Finnish cultures are "warrior" ones.
The Russians defeated the Germans and achieved their goals with the Finns.
Politics, again politics ...

Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
This "survival" mode is precisely what makes Russian culture a warrior culture. More than that - it makes Russian men ( the ones that are worthy of course) very versatile as well - they are good handy-men, they are pretty inventive in their daily life; they can build, they can fix cars, they know how to survive in the wilderness. Yet at the same time they have this whole "bonding" thing going on between them, which makes them good fighters.
The last feature in particular is absent in Finns I think. They are more of a loners; I picture them more as "hunters" than "warriors" per se.
And Germans are in a different category all together.
I think the only reason they are good fighters, is because they take EVERYTHING very seriously, in the whole scope and depth of it, fighting including.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
P.S. Maxim, I hate this Zhanna Bichevskay crap.
If you have to post the "Farewell of Slavianka," do it the right way - the one and only, the marching band version.
No, this is post-processing. Bichevskaya feels the soul of the Russian people, these are deeper things. I think so.

https://youtu.be/RGpQocBdmbI

https://youtu.be/mZMtZ3H3C3w

Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 PM

Russia, like France, perform their best when there is a long peace. Germany and Finland perform their best when there is a crisis or a threat of one.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Russia, like France, perform their best when there is a long peace. Germany and Finland perform their best when there is a crisis or a threat of one.
Uh, I don't know about that one...
Overall when it comes to Russian men, my observation is that they operate the best in the "emergency mode." Before that things are half-done, or barely done, but in the emergency mode everything becomes amazingly effective and efficient))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe