Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 04:46 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
True....it may take 3-4 swats....

I love one particular comment in the first video of these air strikes in Syria.

"Poroshenko! do you watch this?

this is what Russian aggression looks like!!!"

How brave to compare bombing civilians controlled by bands of terrorists to some brave military conquest. I suppose it equates to the bravery of taking Crimea which nobody wanted to fight for anyway. Kyiv on the other hand would be a graveyard for Russians and they know it, youtube propaganda videos notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 05:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Still attributing arguments to me that I did not make. Russia isn't holding back, it cannot occupy Kiev. They don't have the actual ability to do it. They did 3 years ago but now, no way. Ukraine is well armed and motivated to defend itself.
Russia would own Kiev inside of 24 hours. Between air mobile and airborne assets Russia could place upwards of 5000 heavily armed infantry in Kievs key districts within hours. Borispol airport would be taken and used for further reinforcement. No key military sites of any kind in eastern Ukraine would be untouched after mere hours.

Armored and mechanized forces would enter Ukraine from the Bryansk region heading south to Kiev. More forces would strike from the Belgorod region and Kharkov would be enveloped and bypassed as the mechanized forces struck south west from there. Izyum would be taken within days. There would be more forces striking west from the Rostov area. The Ukrainian air Force would cease to exist, anything military that even showed it had teeth would be annihilated.

Aside from Russian troops in Kiev you may find the regular Ukrainian army switching sides.

3 weeks max Russian troops are at the Dneipre and points beyond. The nutters like Azov will be hiding or dead.

Bet on it.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:33 PM
DKM

Germans said the same thing about Stalingrad. But to be realistic, Russia would have to mobilize a million man army which would take a while and allow Ukraine to prepare and would only need days to get their army ready for defense. Kiev isn't under any kind of airborne threat unless Russia can defeat capable anti aircraft positions from the air (it can't). As far as tech, its a battle of equals. Numbers would need to be 4 to 1 to win over battle hardened Ukrainian infantry and Russia cannot muster over a million men for an invasion. This doesn't even consider the defensive weapons NATO would transfer and make short work of 1970's tanks.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:20 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Look it up, Pak Fa/ T-50. I think they gave it a new name, SU 57. This was announced way back when I was living in Moscow in 2006 and I remember it was supposed to dominate our F22's. As if a 3rd rate nation with an economy the size of Australia can pretend to be a superpower, but at the time with all the oil money flowing it seemed possible. Still waiting....

I know the T-14 Armata tanks are supposed to be all that too, but when are they going to actually, you know, make them? They have enough for the parades and TV shows about how much better they are than American kit.
Oh boy...
No, that's not the link I asked for.
What I need is a link to Graham Phillips *documentation* that he is a "Russian propagandist," in referral to this statement of yours -

Quote:
Graham Phillips is a Russian propagandist. This isn't just an assumption, its documented by himself on YouTube. His clip of an actor pretending to be a victim of aggression that doesn't exist is not an alternative point of view, its fake news.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
How brave to compare bombing civilians controlled by bands of terrorists to some brave military conquest. I suppose it equates to the bravery of taking Crimea which nobody wanted to fight for anyway. Kyiv on the other hand would be a graveyard for Russians and they know it, youtube propaganda videos notwithstanding.
If you think Ukraine has even remotely a chance against Russia (not a full brunt Russian attack, just a moderately serious one) I have a bridge in new York to sell....

Old 12-12-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Germans said the same thing about Stalingrad. But to be realistic, Russia would have to mobilize a million man army which would take a while and allow Ukraine to prepare and would only need days to get their army ready for defense. Kiev isn't under any kind of airborne threat unless Russia can defeat capable anti aircraft positions from the air (it can't). As far as tech, its a battle of equals. Numbers would need to be 4 to 1 to win over battle hardened Ukrainian infantry and Russia cannot muster over a million men for an invasion. This doesn't even consider the defensive weapons NATO would transfer and make short work of 1970's tanks.

Russia air force alone would annihilate Ukraine...and I would nto count too much on NATO.

Russia is not stupid, it does not want Ukraine....it simply does not want a NATO base in it, that's all

Old 12-12-2017, 08:56 PM

32 posts, read 19,712 times
Quote:

Can you explain why Russia (or Putin) needs to capture Kiev. Russia has always (since 1990) wanted from Ukraine only three things: transit of gas to Europe, the presence of a military base in the Crimea (and willingness to pay for rent) and the non-aligned status of Ukraine. Now Russia is satisfied only with the limited military support of the seperatists in the East of Ukraine

And i can agree with you if we were talking about for example Finland, but we are talking about Ukraine where Saakashvili who has been deprived of Ukrainian citizenship, has crossed illegally and openly the border of Ukraine. And now in Ukraine he's started a political struggle against the president of Ukraine. And this all shows how weak the Ukrainian government is, Russia once used the weakness of the Ukrainian authorities and captured Crimea practically without a single shot

Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJac View Post
Can you explain why Russia (or Putin) needs to capture Kiev. Russia has always (since 1990) wanted from Ukraine only three things: transit of gas to Europe, the presence of a military base in the Crimea (and willingness to pay for rent) and the non-aligned status of Ukraine. Now Russia is satisfied only with the limited military support of the seperatists in the East of Ukraine

And i can agree with you if we were talking about for example Finland, but we are talking about Ukraine where Saakashvili who has been deprived of Ukrainian citizenship, has crossed illegally and openly the border of Ukraine. And now in Ukraine he's started a political struggle against the president of Ukraine. And this all shows how weak the Ukrainian government is, Russia once used the weakness of the Ukrainian authorities and captured Crimea practically without a single shot
I'm sensing a recurring theme of pro Russians on here arguing against a position I did not take. I never said Putin needed to take any part of Ukraine, I am only saying he CANNOT so whether he wants to or not is irrelevant.

Yes, to a Russian, political opposition makes a government appear weak. I can say the opposite is the case in the western world which Ukraine is slowly integrating with.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm sensing a recurring theme of pro Russians on here arguing against a position I did not take. I never said Putin needed to take any part of Ukraine, I am only saying he CANNOT so whether he wants to or not is irrelevant.

Yes, to a Russian, political opposition makes a government appear weak. I can say the opposite is the case in the western world which Ukraine is slowly integrating with.

I'm not a "pro Russian" but I can definitely see where the West is going with this...it is so obvious...

Old 12-13-2017, 02:09 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Interesting video about Arkaim and Sintashta culture (ancient Indo-Europeans), Russian language.

https://youtu.be/3neaLC6fTs0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe