Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,439,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

You think so? It's just because "others are talking" about the US?
Then you better listen to this;

Americans ( well at least part of them) truly believe that they are THE "indispensable nation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvf35w3tVsQ
When I say that the US is the greatest nation in the world, I’m not doing in on behalf of any politician. The fact that others are talking about it all the time plays a big role. Why are so many Muslims enraged at the idea of Trump moving the embassy to Jerusalem? If any smaller country tried to pull it off, there would be a few complaints here or there, but that’s about it. The simple reason is that they know that if the US does it, there’s a possibility other countries may follow suit.

American exceptionalism is both a political propaganda tool as well as one that holds a lot of truth to it. Remember that there is also a big difference between “greatest”and “best”. I would never say that the US is the best at handling internal affairs as there are a number of problems. You’ll never hear me defending the lack of healthcare, maternity leave or paid holidays. Nor would I defend the electoral collage as a voting mechanic and those are just the top of the iceberg of problems the country faces. No, when I talk about greatest, I’m referring to the ability to project hard and soft power, the ingenuity of different businesses, the plethora of activities available, the sheer diversity of its population.

This is what Elon Musk had to say (I put it in italics so you know that the whole paragraph is about his statement)

Musk has described himself as "nauseatingly pro-American". According to Musk, the United States is "[inarguably] the greatest country that has ever existed on Earth", describing it as "the greatest force for good of any country that's ever been." Musk believes outright that there "would not be democracy in the world if not for the United States", arguing there were "three separate occasions in the 20th-century where democracy would have fallen with World War I, World War II and the Cold War, if not for the United States." Musk also stated that he thinks "it would be a mistake to say the United States is perfect, it certainly is not. There have been many foolish things the United States has done and bad things the United States has done."

This in many ways encapsulates how I feel about the US.

Bear in mind that he’s a naturalized citizen, having been born in South Africa and migrating to Canada before going to the US. Take me as an example, I’m not American nor I have ever lived in the US (just went there for holiday) and even I see his point. How is it that both of us came to the same conclusion?
Keep in mind as well, that neither of us fall into the “dumb American” stereotype, in fact we’re the opposite of it in many ways. I’ve traveled the world, speak multiple languages, hold a degree in a scientific field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 08:03 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,231,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
.Nor would I defend the electoral collage as a voting mechanic
Actually that was a genius move from the founding fathers.

Quote:
No, when I talk about greatest, I’m referring to the ability to project hard and soft power, the ingenuity of different businesses, the plethora of activities available, the sheer diversity of its population.
I agree but the US is the current king of the hill...the future could be different, empires and powerful countries come and go.

Quote:
This is what Elon Musk had to say (I put it in italics so you know that the whole paragraph is about his statement)

Musk has described himself as "nauseatingly pro-American". According to Musk, the United States is "[inarguably] the greatest country that has ever existed on Earth", describing it as "the greatest force for good of any country that's ever been." Musk believes outright that there "would not be democracy in the world if not for the United States", arguing there were "three separate occasions in the 20th-century where democracy would have fallen with World War I, World War II and the Cold War, if not for the United States." Musk also stated that he thinks "it would be a mistake to say the United States is perfect, it certainly is not. There have been many foolish things the United States has done and bad things the United States has done."

Bear in mind that he’s a naturalized citizen, having been born in South Africa and migrating to Canada before going to the US. Take me as an example, I’m not American nor I have ever lived in the US (just went there for holiday) and even I see his point. How is it that both of us came to the same conclusion?
Keep in mind as well, that neither of us fall into the “dumb American” stereotype, in fact we’re the opposite of it in many ways. I’ve traveled the world, speak multiple languages, hold a degree in a scientific field.
I would have picked a different source of inspiration than Musk, however.....nobody denies the good/excellent things that America has and the ideals it represents...I'm a naturalized American myself and I hold an engineering degree......the problem is hubris, it is human nature and it it's often leads to overreaching....

Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,239,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
When I say that the US is the greatest nation in the world, I’m not doing in on behalf of any politician. The fact that others are talking about it all the time plays a big role. Why are so many Muslims enraged at the idea of Trump moving the embassy to Jerusalem? If any smaller country tried to pull it off, there would be a few complaints here or there, but that’s about it. The simple reason is that they know that if the US does it, there’s a possibility other countries may follow suit.

American exceptionalism is both a political propaganda tool as well as one that holds a lot of truth to it. Remember that there is also a big difference between “greatest”and “best”. I would never say that the US is the best at handling internal affairs as there are a number of problems. You’ll never hear me defending the lack of healthcare, maternity leave or paid holidays. Nor would I defend the electoral collage as a voting mechanic and those are just the top of the iceberg of problems the country faces. No, when I talk about greatest, I’m referring to the ability to project hard and soft power, the ingenuity of different businesses, the plethora of activities available, the sheer diversity of its population.

Very well, if you are talking in terms of "greatest" and not the "best," I'll make it very simple;
I've already lived once in the "greatest country" before, and I knew that it was doomed long before the cracks became visible to everyone. I know what I witnessed back then, and I know what I am witnessing now. America is entering the early Gorbachev's period, the rest will follow.

If you are not the "best," you can't remain the "greatest" forever.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Very well, if you are talking in terms of "greatest" and not the "best," I'll make it very simple;
I've already lived once in the "greatest country" before, and I knew that it was doomed long before the cracks became visible to everyone. I know what I witnessed back then, and I know what I am witnessing now. America is entering the early Gorbachev's period, the rest will follow.

If you are not the "best," you can't remain the "greatest" forever.

Here, I agree with Milky Way.....the decline of America is not as imminent as many believe...and it has been already declared in the past and never came to fruition.

According to many people (including "experts") in the 1970s, America was finished...how that worked out??

Simply, the share of American influence in the world will decline (and is declining) inevitably.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Has anyone heard of this project?
The City of the future - About project

Apparently Russia wants to build a city from scratch in Pskov Oblast and will have 5 million people. Is this a legitimate project, or just some fan fiction?
There are a number of projects like this under development. Moscow has big plans for Ulan Ude, of all places, and wants to attract 200,000 workers to the city, build two new residential districts, and set up heavy industry manufacturing. They chose Ulan Ude, because it's at the crossroads of a railroad line, so the infrastructure is in place to ship products to China, and to the Russ. Far East. I have no idea what the timeline is for that project.

I think it's odd that Moscow dictates the growth of far-flung cities, rather than growth occurring more organically, or being decided on the local level.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are a number of projects like this under development. Moscow has big plans for Ulan Ude, of all places, and wants to attract 200,000 workers to the city, build two new residential districts, and set up heavy industry manufacturing. They chose Ulan Ude, because it's at the crossroads of a railroad line, so the infrastructure is in place to ship products to China, and to the Russ. Far East. I have no idea what the timeline is for that project.

I think it's odd that Moscow dictates the growth of far-flung cities, rather than growth occurring more organically, or being decided on the local level.
It's not odd Ruth.
The capital is still concentrated in Moscow, and from THERE the decisions are made, how that capital is going to be distributed and where.
Do you think the rest of Russia (and Russians) hate Moscow ( and Moscvovites) for no reason?

Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Here, I agree with Milky Way.....the decline of America is not as imminent as many believe...and it has been already declared in the past and never came to fruition.

According to many people (including "experts") in the 1970s, America was finished...how that worked out??

Simply, the share of American influence in the world will decline (and is declining) inevitably.
Milky Way was not even talking about the "decline of America."
I do.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,779,217 times
Quote:
their whole plan of "dismantling" Russia didn't work out as intended. So the howling is heard up until now.
( We are not out of the woods when it comes to oil prices yet by the way - this is what I am saying as an American driver first of all. When I saw "Kings of the East" ( Saudies that is) coming to bow to Moscow, I knew right there, something is up. A stark difference with previous attempts to blackmail Putin by Chechnya during the Sochi Olympic games. I guess events in Syria changed the game.
There is no plan to dismantle Russia. We did that in 1991 remember? When the USSR was up and running, it had command of 400 million people and a large enough economy to almost compete with the West. Now its outnumbered 8 to 1 manpower wise and 12 to 1 economically wise. Mission accomplished, threat is over. The remnant "federatsiya" is only capable of pushing around former members of the USSR and apparently bombing cities in Syria while Iran takes and holds the ground.

Saudis begged Putin to reduce oil output. Against Russia's own interest but to make himself important to them, he did so which also benefited American shale. I salute Putin for padding my oil and gas stocks. # gas producer of the world, the USA.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There is no plan to dismantle Russia. We did that in 1991 remember? When the USSR was up and running, it had command of 400 million people and a large enough economy to almost compete with the West. Now its outnumbered 8 to 1 manpower wise and 12 to 1 economically wise. Mission accomplished, threat is over. The remnant "federatsiya" is only capable of pushing around former members of the USSR and apparently bombing cities in Syria while Iran takes and holds the ground.
Should I remind of "reading comprehension?"
No one is talking about the "plans to dismantle Russia" NOW. Too much trouble.
I am talking about the wet dreams of American politicians/banking sector ( they do work hand in hand, don't they?) precisely back in the nineties. All their claims of "dismantling the Soviet system to pave the brighter future for Russian people" were indeed a one big lie. What they REALLY wanted to achieve, was a dismantling of a Russian state in ANY guise, in order to prevent Russia from being a viable competitor for the US, in American strive for world domination. And those plans failed ( I explained why among other things.)
Russians however remembered their lesson learned, and that's the reason they hang on to Putin, and are willing to join military now in great numbers.

Quote:
Saudis begged Putin to reduce oil output. Against Russia's own interest but to make himself important to them, he did so at the expense of Russia but for the benefit of American shale. I salute Putin for padding my oil stocks.
Salute while you still can.

Last edited by erasure; 12-14-2017 at 09:38 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There is no plan to dismantle Russia. We did that in 1991 remember? When the USSR was up and running, it had command of 400 million people and a large enough economy to almost compete with the West.
USSR economy could never compete with the west, that is the reason why it did collapse.

"Dismantling" nowadays happen in economic form. The West plan was to make Russia weak and unstable (supporting occasional hotbeds of separatism end ethic revolt "chewing" at the edges), a docile Russia ready to "integrate" in the western economic/financial system....it did not work out.

China managed its transformation from command and control economy (which in part still is) to capitalism and its confrontation with the West much better, keeping the "barbarians" out of the gate.

Why do you think China and Russia are finally agreeing to a strategic partnership despite their past differences?? China is not stupid and they realize they can be the next target if an issue arise in what they consider their sphere of influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe