Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 09:43 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times

Advertisements

P.S. But back to the original article; things took an amusing turn; apparently "80% of Brits would be happy to quit UK for Russia after Putin offers free land)))

ALMOST eight out of 10 citizens would seriously considering quitting Britain and emigrating to Russia, a poll by Express.co.uk has revealed."

80% of Brits would be happy to quit UK for RUSSIA after Putin offers free land | World | News | Daily Express

That's funny))))

On a serious note, I came across this video yesterday and realized how underpopulated Russia is!
So this is the overview of 10 major Russian cities, and apart from Moscow and St. Petersburg, that have about 12 and 4 million respectively, the rest of them have only about slightly over 1 million population! Holly smokes, I swear there were around three or four million people in Novosibirsk back in the day when I visited there.))))
No wonder Moscow is becoming a monstrosity, while people are moving there in droves, while the Eastern part of the country becomes more and more depopulated, apparently))))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8S...1quCmw&index=1

Last edited by erasure; 05-13-2016 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It would be nice to know what we're looking at, in the flooded village scene. Is that a recent event that might be related to climate change? Some kind of freak event like Hurricane Katrina? The river doesn't usually flood like that. What was the point of posting that video? There's not context.
No, it is what it is, a flood in 2013 - no "freak event." They have huge rivers there. I simply wanted to see what nature looks like specifically in Khabarovsk region, so I looked at few short videos.

Quote:
And no, Putin isn't sending them only to Kamchatka, from what I understood of the article linked earlier. It's the whole Far East.
Ah, OK. I am not going in any case)))
My grandmother who frequented both Siberia and Far East (being a part of geophysicist research team ) told me that the most difficult part was the mosquitoes all over the place.

So nope, I am definitely not going)))

Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No, it is what it is, a flood in 2013 - no "freak event." They have huge rivers there. I simply wanted to see what nature looks like specifically in Khabarovsk region, so I looked at few short videos.
Well, that flooding isn't normal or typical. It's not just a seasonal flood, like something routine. The river level does go up and down, but not like that, obviously, or that location wouldn't have been populated for long, or wouldn't have been built on at all.

OK, here it is. It was the worst flood in 120 years in the Amur Region, according to Russian authorities. It was caused by unusually heavy rain. So that could fit into a pattern of climate change, potentially. In the US, they say the West Coast is going to get heavier rain and flooding in the future, than ever before, in place of snow at the higher altitudes. Warming of the ocean causes water to be drawn up into the atmosphere, and it comes down as very heavy rain. This is a phenomenon called "atmospheric rivers", and it will become more common. Looks like Russia got a sneak preview of things to come.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_C...3Russia_floods

https://www.rt.com/news/record-floods-russia-east-635/

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-13-2016 at 10:17 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, that flooding isn't normal or typical. It's not just a seasonal flood, like something routine. The river level does go up and down, but not like that, obviously, or that location wouldn't have been populated for long, or wouldn't have been built on at all.

OK, here it is. It was the worst flood in 120 years in the Amur Region, according to Russian authorities. It was caused by unusually heavy rain. So that could fit into a pattern of climate change, potentially. In the US, they say the West Coast is going to get heavier rain and flooding in the future, than ever before, in place of snow at the higher altitudes. Warming of the ocean causes water to be drawn up into the atmosphere, and it comes down as very heavy rain. This is a phenomenon called "atmospheric rivers", and it will become more common. Looks like Russia got a sneak preview of things to come.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_C...3Russia_floods

Look, I am a *damn Muscovite* ( as they refer to us) and I don't understand anything in floods)))
The picture says it's "a flood" so a flood it is. What kind - I have no idea)))
Overall *the nature* ( the kind you see behind Urals ( no, forget Urals - 100 km away from Moscow)) makes me already think about the Dyatlov pass and I feel quaint already)))

Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Look, I am a *damn Muscovite* ( as they refer to us) and I don't understand anything in floods)))
The picture says it's "a flood" so a flood it is. What kind - I have no idea)))
Overall *the nature* ( the kind you see behind Urals ( no, forget Urals - 100 km away from Moscow)) makes me already think about the Dyatlov pass and I feel quaint already)))
This isn't an attack on you (or on Muscovites ). I saw the film, and being that I have a experience in the Amur area and a lot of friends there, I recognized it was something very unusual, and was concerned, so I looked into it. Unfortunately, this type of extreme event will become more common in the future, around the world. It was a post that turned out to be informative and useful in ways you hadn't anticipated.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:14 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
If you are bored and speak Russian, here's a 50 min discussion on Thursday on Finnish State TV concerning Russia, the opposition, Finland + NATO, the Internet troll factory and more.

Venäjän tulevaisuus | A-studio | TV | Areena | yle.fi

Old 05-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If you are bored and speak Russian, here's a 50 min discussion on Thursday on Finnish State TV concerning Russia, the opposition, Finland + NATO, the Internet troll factory and more.

Parnas? Yabloko? Bwa-ha-haaa))))) ( Parnas in particular.)

I am not bored. I have gazillion things to do (have to pack coz I am moving) but I am sitting and procrastinating here as usual))))

So yeah... chances are - I'll watch it.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:14 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,233,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

These guys have no support among the Russians. They say that it is Putin's fault, but in fact it is their fault.

+ By the way, Yashin (one of this guys) has not supported the accession of the Crimea. He is a political corpse. The only thing that he can - is be clever in Finland.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 05-14-2016 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 PM

504 posts, read 465,458 times
How does Russia feel about their hot favourite for Eurovision being pushed into 3rd place by Ukraine, with it's highly political anti-Russian song (and a dreary pile of crap it was) and her asking for the people of Europe to vote for her to show their disgust at where Putin is taking the country? And boy, did they vote for this sentiment. It definitely was not for the song itself.

I never vote in this event, being the music snob that I am, but do love how it stridently pushes camp into peoples' parlours. I may be blokey, but I am a homosexual after all. So if you want to say it was a political result rather than anything to do with music, I'd agree. I contributed. Russia's song was garbage too, btw.

Putin will be declaring it as an act of aggression by the EU. I would suspect once it's been analysed, Russia would have won had it been down to the EU votes. I suspect the votes from the countries Russia has pissed off the most in recent times, did for their chances. Which is not to say, the one thing that instantly unifies Western politicians of all political colours is the subject of Russia, and how Putin has turned it into an enemy of the sophisticated part of the world. And has manipulated it's gullible population in collusion.

We Brits have a bizzare relationship with the ESC. There is a fanatical following, almost 100% gay men. Nobody here has the remotest notion of winning ever again. If we put in the best song ever written (perfectly possible - it's only between us and the Americans) we'd still come 3rd from last because everyone hates us. None of the talent that makes British music heard globally (hi Adelle and all the others) would touch Eurovision with a 10M pole. So most of us watch it politically, and I have to say I am delighted with the result.

I'm sure Vlad's out manoeuvring of the West in Syria trumps a political defeat in the Eurovision. He loves to win everything mind, so I'd love to see his face this evening.

Last edited by 640TAG; 05-14-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
How does Russia feel about their hot favourite for Eurovision being pushed into 3rd place by Ukraine, with it's highly political anti-Russian song (and a dreary pile of crap it was) and her asking for the people of Europe to vote for her to show their disgust at where Putin is taking the country? And boy, did they vote for this sentiment. It definitely was not for the song itself.

I never vote in this event, being the music snob that I am, but do love how it stridently pushes camp into peoples' parlours. I may be blokey, but I am a homosexual after all. So if you want to say it was a political result rather than anything to do with music, I'd agree. I contributed. Russia's song was garbage too, btw.

Putin will be declaring it as an act of aggression by the EU. I would suspect once it's been analysed, Russia would have won had it been down to the EU votes. I suspect the votes from the countries Russia has pissed off the most in recent times, did for their chances. Which is not to say, the one thing that instantly unifies Western politicians of all political colours is the subject of Russia, and how Putin has turned it into an enemy of the sophisticated part of the world. And has manipulated it's gullible population in collusion.

We Brits have a bizzare relationship with the ESC. There is a fanatical following, almost 100% gay men. Nobody here has the remotest notion of winning ever again. If we put in the best song ever written (perfectly possible - it's only between us and the Americans) we'd still come 3rd from last because everyone hates us. None of the talent that makes British music heard globally (hi Adelle and all the others) would touch Eurovision with a 10M pole. So most of us watch it politically, and I have to say I am delighted with the result.

I'm sure Vlad's out manoeuvring of the West in Syria trumps a political defeat in the Eurovision. He loves to win everything mind, so I'd love to see his face this evening.
Oh hello, and welcome to the Russian Far East)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe