Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Isn’t there a saying that goes somewhere along the lines of Moscow isn’t Russia? Moscow is a developed city with similar living standards to the rest of Europe. But for other cities it’s not really the case. Sure there are some that are doing pretty good such as Yekaterinburg or Tyumen, but many others are struggling such as Volgograd and Tula

I been following Russia for months, I have friends living there and others went for extended visits.

One of them traveled along the Trans-Siberian railway (took almost an entire summer there) stopping and visiting cities along the way (for days at each stop) and he was shocked at the difference between how western media often depict Russia and the much better reality on the ground.

I been watching Russian movies and I have been impressed by the quality of a lot of production....I'm learning to appreciate their sense of humor in TV shows......I love how they laugh hard and make fun of the Russophobia hysteria that took root in the West....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 11:05 AM

403 posts, read 221,524 times
Default Russian Election March 2018 - what's going on there?

1) Why is Putin nominated (well, nominated himself) for presidency despite of what is written in Russian Constitution in Article 81 ..." a candidate ...cannot serve more than two terms consecutively." ?

2) Is it ^^^ OK with Russian people?

3) Has Grudinin any chance to win?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
1) Why is Putin nominated (well, nominated himself) for presidency despite of what is written in Russian Constitution in Article 81 ..." a candidate ...cannot serve more than two terms consecutively." ?

This will be his second consecutive term he is running for. Key word is "consecutive".

Grudinin? Hope not, wish the communists would just go away, they are a drag on progress.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
Because Putin never served more then two terms consecutively. there are other examples of countries with people returning to serve as president after a constitutionally mandated break.....for example Michelle Bachelet of Chile....Lula of Brazil is running again....
In Europe, generally, there are not even term limits on heads of government, a Prime Minister can run as much as he/she wants as long as that person is the leader of the party with the majority of votes.
The president of France cannot serve more than two terms consecutively (a very recent change implemented in 2008, before there were no term limits) but Constitutionally, for example, Chirac could run again.

Quote:
For the vast majority of Russian, yes.

Quote:
No

Old 02-07-2018, 11:41 AM

403 posts, read 221,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This will be his second consecutive term he is running for. Key word is "consecutive".

Grudinin? Hope not, wish the communists would just go away, they are a drag on progress.
Oh, I see, thanks! I lost track...
I guess Medvedev presidency registered in my mind as Putin's also.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Exactly...this is Putin second term, in observance of the constitution, after the Medvedev presidency.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
This is pretty funny. Not surprising at all after watching years of Russian news pretending they have the best space program in the world.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russ...ampaign=070218

Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
This is pretty funny. Not surprising at all after watching years of Russian news pretending they have the best space program in the world.

For better of for worse, Russia space program is the only one currently capable of delivering human cargo to the International Space Station.

So you compare Russia Space Program with Elon Musk playing with Rockets (by the way, using Russian engines)?? ahahaha that is funny!!!

Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
who has the biggest military parade; Russia, China or North Korea? and how big was the biggest one?

(asking for a "friend")

--- Don

Old 02-07-2018, 02:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post

Their's may not be the best in the world, but it is one of the few in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe