Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 PM

403 posts, read 213,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
As in "calculus?"
That kind of math?
God help me NOOOO, instead I spent my time explaining to my son how important it is to learn calculus)))

If I wouldn't be so allergic to it all, I'd punch the numbers myself, figuring out Grudinin's financial state, but I left it up to YOU)))
Thanks, I am honored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,239,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
Thanks, I am honored
I've had full confidence in you ( guessing that you must be in a math/tech field)))

Old 02-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I never said it didn't lead to famine/death and all kind of disasters (Stalin acknowledged it himself in his conversation with Churchill,) but the argument was that he finished off the life in the country side.
While he really did not.
Kind of did. Because agriculture never returned to the Imperial pre-revolutionary level. I think.

Remember, that Russian agriculture was doing very well after Stolypin's "multifaceted reforms that were introduced in 1906 - i.e. :
development of large-scale individual farming (khutors)
introduction of agricultural cooperatives
development of agricultural education
dissemination of new methods of land improvement
affordable lines of credit for peasants"
So, in the 1920s all these were reversed and all it's benefits were lost...Followed by famine...

Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,439,285 times
Quote:
As in "calculus?"
That kind of math?
God help me NOOOO, instead I spent my time explaining to my son how important it is to learn calculus)))

If I wouldn't be so allergic to it all, I'd punch the numbers myself, figuring out Grudinin's financial state, but I left it up to YOU)))
I would say it depends on what your son was pursuing. As someone who did a degree in engineering, I have no issue admitting that math is overrated.

Math is obviously essential for the well being of society, but not everyone needs to know it. Unless you're targeting a scientific field, you can get by in life by just knowing basic arithmetics. One of the reasons a lot of kids dislike math is because they are told that if they fail there, they will fail in life.

I also find calculus very annoying, especially integrations and if I never have to see another Fourrier equation, I'm a happy camper.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I would say it depends on what your son was pursuing. As someone who did a degree in engineering, I have no issue admitting that math is overrated.

Math is obviously essential for the well being of society, but not everyone needs to know it. Unless you're targeting a scientific field, you can get by in life by just knowing basic arithmetics. One of the reasons a lot of kids dislike math is because they are told that if they fail there, they will fail in life.

I also find calculus very annoying, especially integrations and if I never have to see another Fourrier equation, I'm a happy camper.
True.
Actually, math could be very interesting. I really liked Perelman's books - math, science
ps://www.amazon.com/Books-Ya-I-Perelman/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AYa.%20I.%2 0Perelman
The most important is to find something he is interested in - computers, biology, music, art, photography ...may be he loves animals? Languages - your English is very good.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:39 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,439,285 times
Quote:
True.
Actually, math could be very interesting. I really liked Perelman's books - math, science
ps://www.amazon.com/Books-Ya-I-Perelman/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AYa.%20I.%2 0Perelman
The most important is to find something he is interested in - computers, biology, music, art, photography ...may be he loves animals? Languages - your English is very good.
It depends on the individual. The big problem with a lot of education systems in the world is that they shove math down people's throats to the point that many end up finding it repulsive. The worst part is that it is done at the expense of other subjects.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
True.
THIS Perelman?

I remember his text-books were widely used in the Soviet Union ( I didn't know that he died from starvation during the siege of Leningrad though)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Perelman.

P.S. I don't care what he likes)))

He is going to learn math and science ( since he is capable of it,) and once I am in my grave, he can become whatever he wants - a lawyer, psychologist or politician.

But for now the way it stands, is the way I was raised since my childhood. I've been told that "if you understand math and science, you'll always have employment and you'll be always in demand. Everyone can y ak, ( reference to me, ) but not too many are capable to learn math/science."

Old 02-10-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Kind of did. Because agriculture never returned to the Imperial pre-revolutionary level. I think.

Remember, that Russian agriculture was doing very well after Stolypin's "multifaceted reforms that were introduced in 1906 - i.e. :
development of large-scale individual farming (khutors)
introduction of agricultural cooperatives
development of agricultural education
dissemination of new methods of land improvement
affordable lines of credit for peasants"
So, in the 1920s all these were reversed and all it's benefits were lost...Followed by famine...
My take on things is that whatever Stolypin ( and whoever else) was trying to implement by that time, was already "too little, too late."
Besides, what good does it do for the country to be a major supplier of grain, when it's sorely lacking in other essential areas, and is basically in semi-colonial situation?
With other words, the brutality of Stalin's actions were the direct result of Tzarist regime failures.
Stalin was no fool as a statesman; it's another thing that those who came after him were reluctant to switch the "emergency mode" (that economy was operating under Stalin rule,) to something more sensible and appropriate.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It depends on the individual. The big problem with a lot of education systems in the world is that they shove math down people's throats to the point that many end up finding it repulsive. The worst part is that it is done at the expense of other subjects.
Well..
If you like fish ( cakes or chocolate,) you won't mind it being "shoved down your throat."
But if you hate fish ( cakes or chocolate) to begin with, you'll find it repulsive)))

Old 02-11-2018, 06:45 AM

3,238 posts, read 2,364,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Eastern Europeans hate on Russia and the Soviet Union .
Ordinary "people from street " at least hear do not hate Russia. I don't kow how was situation somewhere elsewhere. Soviet era is commemorated with not a bad word, nostalgy is quite popular, even contemopray companies organize their employees style parties dedicated to theme of Moscow Olymipcs 80 and so one.

I don't know how elsewhere but here right wing libaratrian elite and media (media is here always right wing and russophobic) are combating with these good attitudes towards Russia and they are trying to cultivate growth of suspecting, negative or disdainful attitude towards russia/soviet era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe