Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on this Caspianreport video about Russia's post elections economic reforms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhu3n8vkJSg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,433,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
What are your thoughts on this Caspianreport video about Russia's post elections economic reforms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhu3n8vkJSg
There is one thing that makes civilization possible. Stability. It's everything, The alpha and the omega, the sunrise and sunset. People often wonder why Africa is the basket case it is. The answer is simple. A historical lack of stability amongst its people. Tribalism, civil war, incessant foreign meddling in internal affairs of the states within. Political systems that serve only the most powerful.
Look at the United States. Significant conflicts have never come to our shores. Not one time have we been invaded on a large scale. We built our railways one time. Our airports and highways, electrical grid were built one time. This continent is STABLE. Look at Syria 10 years ago and look at what war has brought it today. It was thriving 10 years ago, today it is a wreck of a nation fighting for it's life but fortunately winning.

What Putin and his people are doing is maintaining the cornerstone of Russias foundation. Stability. Give the people stabiilty and they will work miracles. Max has a beautiful wife and a lovely son. Would he have that if Russia was at war? Would Russians have homes if they were fighting one another? I seriously doubt it. If you give Russians an opportunity they'll jump on it. You give them a stable enviornment they'll build a nation. I think Putin and co are on the right track and for the next decade they need to stay the course.

I think the video is accurate in a general manner. I think when it comes to the specifics it's out of date with a lot of bias , as usual. Caspian Report is pretty high up the ladder when it comes to most things but when it comes to accurate predictions and asessments not so good.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
If you follow Putin speeches and meetings he is pointing exactly at that...bureaucratic reforms and private entrepreneurship stimulation...he continuously encourage people to take initiative and follow their dreams, pursue their aspirations and at the same time he promises to keep unshackling and dismantling the red tape and cracking down on administrative inefficiency...only words?? Who knows but at least he seems laser focused on that.....obviously the western media talked only about the new weapons and ignored the rest of Putin state of the union speech.
The economy diversification effort seems is finally starting to bear some fruit. I recently watched a documentary with some numbers and statistics on what Russia now is capable to produce at home compared to the not so distant past...maybe is propaganda but if it is to be believed at least in part, it seems remarkable.
You do not turn an oil tanker on a dime...and Russia is definitely not the only country suffering from the so called "Dutch disease", even among first world countries.
I definitely noticed that he reformed the tax code, during his first 4 years, to encourage small businesses and co-ops. Unfortunately, by then, the big burst of enthusiasm and creativity that occurred in the 90's had been crushed. But others will come along, hopefully, and give it another try.

There are other obstacles that need to be eliminated, though. Foreign investment and tourism need to be supported as well. There was some stimulus that came, in the 90's, from the tourism and business enabled by the cross-Pacific flights between North America and the RFE and Baikal, and also German investment in factories, followed by German tourism, which also included the Baikal region. This created jobs for people relating to tourism and small business, but some kind of bureaucratic problem relating to the flights in Khabarovsk killed that, from the American side. The German activity also died down, for reasons I'm not aware of.

There needs to be cooperation more broadly, not just in business-admin red tape. And the fear of foreigners needs to get lost. Though that's not likely to happen, with regards to the US....

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-10-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 09:53 AM

BTW. Russian Ural mix is 61a barrel.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Pric...-For-2018.html

Old 03-10-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I definitely noticed that he reformed the tax code, during his first 8 years, to encourage small businesses and co-ops. Unfortunately, by then, the big burst of enthusiasm and creativity that occurred in the 90's had been crushed. But others will come along, hopefully, and give it another try.
Russia has always had a vibrant "blackmarket" economy. It's everywhere. All those little markets are great places to stroll through and I've had some of the best food ever in them. I remember some grannies in Belgorod that made pastries in the central market. They couldn't make them fast enough and there was always a line.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:05 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,226,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Pretty sure I've written about this before: Greek created glagollic not Cyrillic, worse case scenario will be: Macedonia which still isn't Greece.
Constantine spread Slavic language into phonemes, this is main part of the work. He was a very educated man. Glagollic or Cyrillic is not important.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:15 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why are Russians and other Eastern Slavs so violent?

What I've heard disputes in Russia are often decided by fists, and the one who wins is right and the beaten once loses the 'argument'.

Is it also true that domestic violence is a sign of devotion and that the other one cares for you?

Nope. The maximum revoking of the license is 3 years in Sweden and 5 years in Finland.

Sounds like your describing an American Bar. Fist fights and drunks. Have you even looked at how many Calls are taken by the Police for Domestic Violence?

As far as "Violence" goes, some European Countries are willing to fight to preserve their way of life, as American are prone to. Other Countries are Liberal and will not fight for any of their rights, so they lose them.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I've already said many times before, that I GREATLY dislike Putin, that he is not good news not only to Russia but the rest of the world, and I see that some people are finally beginning to realize that. That those nineties had very dire consequences. ( Unless of course they are not talking about the second coming, as here for example)))
What are the main reasons? Crimea was a turning point for me, I revised my attitude to him.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
+ the alphabet or the orthodox church have zero to do with Russia anyway. They were in Eastern Europe long before Russia and were exactly as dominant.
By the way, I found, you are wrong. Rus actively participated in the process of Christianization of the Slavs. Main ideologist of the baptism of Slavs is Photius I (patriarch of Constantinople). After Russian invasion of Constantinople (860), there was first attempt at the baptism of Rus. Some notable people adopted Christianity in Kiev.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:53 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
By the way, I found, you are wrong. Rus actively participated in the process of Christianization of the Slavs. Main ideologist of the baptism of Slavs is Photius I (patriarch of Constantinople). After Russian invasion of Constantinople (860), there was first attempt at the baptism of Rus. Some notable people adopted Christianity in Kiev.
You are conflating modern Russians with the historical Rus. Perhaps purposefully, but that is in error. Russians are a part of Rus only. Easy to confuse since the land and later people were named after the Rus. Russians did not invade Constantinople in 860, those were Varangian Rus. More in commmon with Ukrainians than Russians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe