Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 02:26 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,150,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
This entire thing between Russia and Ukraine is about keeping Ukraine as a colony of Russia

??? Russia has no colonies. Mutually beneficial cooperation of independent countries is not a colony. Russia provided a big discount on gas, reduced duties for Ukrainian goods, etc. The West like to use the word "colony" in relation to Russia. I think that West justifies itself for the colonial past. Russia did not create big colony and does not create it now. Russia sought to annex lands to the Empire, locals received status of citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
LMAO!!! The 2 patrol boats Russia is holding are brand new for the most part. Built in the last 2 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyur...artillery_boat

As unpredictable as the Ukrainian junta is I certainly wouldn't give them back.

But this is river and coastal zone ships. The junta sent river boats to the heroic naval campaign.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
LOL. I seriously doubt that. Would be cool if we did though, because Russia definitely has this.

Of course US instructors are there.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,338,353 times
Norilsk. Where my daughters mother was born.

In Norilsk you can be sure – car won’t hit you on road crossing | English Russia

That's tough.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:35 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I have no doubt US troops are all over the Ukraine in various capacities. Including murderers/assassins.
US forces are there as trainers, including many of out special forces teams. They are also providing intel support and other non-material things. There is limited material support right now.

I honestly do not think the US trusts the Ukrainians either, it takes just one revolt for things to swing back the other way, taking all US supplied items with them.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:43 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,779,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. Here DKM, today I accidentally came across the video that explains why Ukrainian can/can't be understood after Russian.

So to make the long story short, if you learn Russian as a foreign language, you learn the "high" version of it. With time you become familiar with the "middle" version of it ( assuming you have a lot of practice.) But you still most likely remain unfamiliar with the "low" version ( or "vernacular" version, to give it a fancy name.) But that's the version that gives the most clues about Ukrainian language, and that's why it's possible for native Russian speakers ( provided they are well familiar with the two lower levels,) to figure out Ukrainian.
And this basically explains as well why Russian speakers in Ukraine sound more educated overall, since their language is more academic ( and hence provides more outlets to academic knowledge, foreign including) than Ukrainian. It is no surprise that Ukrainian is regarded more of a language of the peasantry, since the Western Ukraine is predominantly agrarian, vs industrial East of the country.
I kinda always sensed that, but this video gave me more tangible explanation.
Thank for the explanation. This has been a mystery for a while for me now. I understand Putin perfectly well so I guess he speaks "high" Russian.

As for the Ukrainian sounding more "peasant" that is more likely because its the language of the villages in the parts of Ukraine outside of the western part where it is spoken everywhere including the cities. In the east you had to travel far outside of the cities to hear it spoken and even then, it sounds different from the Lvov version (to me).

Old 12-04-2018, 04:56 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
But this is river and coastal zone ships. The junta sent river boats to the heroic naval campaign.
Well they were re positioning coastal ships to a base in Azov. On the surface this placement is according to the design of this class of ships. Putin acting like it was a great victory to ram a tugboat and lie to Russians saying they took American ships makes him look like an idiot sorry.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Putin acting like it was a great victory to ram a tugboat and lie to Russians saying they took American ships makes him look like an idiot sorry.
Link, please.

I did not hear about a great victory. I read only funny comments like "шумеры в поисках пизд@лей".

https://i.ibb.co/hdcw38Z/photo-2018-12-01-15-14-02.jpg

Old 12-05-2018, 09:15 AM

5,647 posts, read 11,202,844 times
Maksim, is this a photo of some Ukranian military that were arrested after the river boat incident? They look like "bad guy" actors from a Steven Segal movie. I have never seen military men with hair styles like this. It is also odd to see one guy wearing a chest full of bright and shiny medals on a combat uniform (not on a formal uniform). Those are like painting a target on the camouflage of the combat uniform.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Link, please.
You can find it, he said it to his state TV reporter puppets in Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe