Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 01:38 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Things like this do happen all over the world. The big question is whether it can be prosecuted or not. I remember a long time ago a "think tank" or "blue ribbon panel" whichever you want to call it was hired to "study" the Theafoss water way modernization project in Tacoma Wa. They were given a large amount of money (5 million?) to do what was necessary with a time limit (5 years?). All expenses were taken out of this account including their pay. There was 4 people in this group. It seems that over a period of 3 to 4 years this "blue ribbon panel" produced nothing but managed to spend that 5 million. Over 50% of their expendatures was their salaries. One restaurant owner (The Harvester in the old town) said they would be in his restaurant most mornings, all morning doing nothing. The owner of The Dock bar and grill (on the Theafoss Waterway) had been given great promises on most evenings, all evening long by these upstanding individuals.

In the end the city got NOTHING from these people. They hired one development "firm" at the beginning but that place walked away when they didn't get paid. Everybody lawyered up and in the end the city just bent over and took the loss. The Theafoss waterway still looks like crap to this day 20 years later.

I can see why Stalin did some of the things he did. Maybe they were richly deserved in some cases.
There was no oversight? Who were these thugs? No repercussions to their careers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Shremetevo shut down. Sukhoi SJ 100 crash landed. There are casualties.

https://www.rt.com/news/458441-aerof...ing-witnesses/

Old 05-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Damn. Lucky anybody got out alive. No radio were working, the pilots did a hail Mary landing. Not like they were hard to see.

https://www.rt.com/news/458442-super...g-medics-dead/

Old 05-05-2019, 04:53 PM

41 people died. The plane had trouble in the air after take off and came back. It bounced on landing and the undercarriage collapsed starting the fire.

https://www.rt.com/news/458449-super...ding-survived/

Old 05-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There was no oversight? Who were these thugs? No repercussions to their careers?
There was no oversight. A whistle blower spoke up towards the end, he was an auditor or something that was supposed to ferret out waste in city government. He questioned what was going on. these people had been doing this for years. Everybody lawyered up and the city shut everything down and chose not to persue the case. I don't know what happened to the perps. This was 25 years ago.

Were it me I would have hung them from the Theafoss waterway bridge. Those firechiefs in Normandy Park and Burien that were voting themselves pay raises for years (the top guy was making over 300k a year for looking spiffy in a uniform and touring firestations regularly when not behind a desk) got away clean too. Once again no oversight. THESE PEOPLE VOTED FOR THEIR OWN RAISES FFS!!!

I can go on but I won't.

I'm not surprised by what you pointed out at all. Never just give anyone anything for any reason.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 PM

Video from inside the plane as it happens. Disturbing. You can almost feel the terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYiz...0s&app=desktop

Old 05-05-2019, 07:38 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
There was no oversight. A whistle blower spoke up towards the end, he was an auditor or something that was supposed to ferret out waste in city government. He questioned what was going on. these people had been doing this for years. Everybody lawyered up and the city shut everything down and chose not to persue the case. I don't know what happened to the perps. This was 25 years ago.

Were it me I would have hung them from the Theafoss waterway bridge. Those firechiefs in Normandy Park and Burien that were voting themselves pay raises for years (the top guy was making over 300k a year for looking spiffy in a uniform and touring firestations regularly when not behind a desk) got away clean too. Once again no oversight. THESE PEOPLE VOTED FOR THEIR OWN RAISES FFS!!!

I can go on but I won't.

I'm not surprised by what you pointed out at all. Never just give anyone anything for any reason.
lolL! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the reality check! Good to be aware that that stuff happens in the US of A, too. hmmm..."city chose not to pursue the case". What does that tell us? Somebody in a position of authority appointed his friends, and didn't want them to get into trouble? Couldn't pursue the case, because of conflict of interest? VE-E-Ery interesting.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
lolL! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the reality check! Good to be aware that that stuff happens in the US of A, too. hmmm..."city chose not to pursue the case". What does that tell us? Somebody in a position of authority appointed his friends, and didn't want them to get into trouble? Couldn't pursue the case, because of conflict of interest? VE-E-Ery interesting.
It was about the cost of the process. Do you want to spend 15 million to bust these people or cut your losses? Most people never heard of this. I only know because at the time my first wife worked for the city of Tacoma in the auditing department or something like that. She was an accountant.

It's stuff like this that make me laugh so hard when Americans point the finger at other countries when it comes to corruption. IF YOU ONLY KNEW PEOPLE!!

Want to talk about the $400,000 crapper on Mt Rainier? Does Russia have one of those on Mt Elbrus?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:29 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
Quote:
Thank you; "federal chain of supermarkets" explains it. Otherwise, private companies probably couldn't afford to have computers throughout the store, for customers to make their own price labels for fresh produce.

In the 90's, there were a few places that had "modern" self-serve grocery stores/supermarkets. An Icelandic company had opened one in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski. They even had regular "Western" grocery carts for shoppers. No storage lockers, though. I've never seen those. An American in Khabarovsk who worked for a canned-goods company in Seattle opened a supermarket, and trained local people to staff it. So there were isolated cases of this type of "modernization".
Such things are common in all big supermarkets, federal or local, without a difference. Even in some small grocery stores in our town there are such.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Video from inside the plane as it happens. Disturbing. You can almost feel the terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYiz...0s&app=desktop
Wow, thanks for sharing. That pilot is amazing that he got it set down like that under those conditions.

Edit; jsut read more of an update, I thought the plane was on fire when it was landing, but it started after the landing due to the landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe