Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Scrat...
To make the long story short - you can't run the country as a "corporation aimed at bringing the most profits to its top executives," without ruining it.
It's that simple.
True. How do you know that is happening though? I'm quite sure the people in charge make lots of money, just like anywhere else.

The wealth being generated seems to be going to the right places. Or at least a good portion of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 05:22 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I measure the bolded by what I see. I watch a lot of videos from bloggers and a lot of the news, google earth street view. You can get all kinds of information from that. Detailed. I was recently teaching my grandson how to navigate with a map and google earth. We actually found the building a video blogger lives in using the video they had made. I compare what I see with what I have seen in the past. There's subtle little hints you pick up, someone refers to Russians not planting gardens at their dachas anymore, more kids with more stuff on the streets. New construction, old neighborhoods being torn down and new complexes going up. Large nubers of cranes on the cities skylines, modern cranes, not the death traps I used to see. More modern construction equipment, that stuff is EXPENSIVE. Where there were old grey and run down homes in small villages I see new roofs and the homes painted.

Things are not perfect in Russia. True. It porbably will never be but there is significant progress.

I don't go by the media or the writing of journalists in the MSM. I go by what i see with the mark 1 eyeball.
OK, I see what you're talking about. I've seen some of those videos too; people have bought old dachas and improved them, the people with real money build Western-style houses. There are more cars on the roads than a generation ago. Still, there are a lot of people left behind, but Rome wasn't built in.a day, I suppose.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
True. How do you know that is happening though? I'm quite sure the people in charge make lots of money, just like anywhere else.

The wealth being generated seems to be going to the right places. Or at least a good portion of it.

How do I know?
I know about it all in the same manner as I knew what was happening in Ukraine all along.
By listening to people across the different levels/locations of the society, by listening to Russian intellectuals and the sentence they are passing to it.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:36 PM

651 posts, read 415,931 times
Default Protests in Yekaterinburg

There were protests in Siberian city Yekaterinburg. Their cause is the start of construction of a big new church in the center of the city.
The protesters were mostly young people. Their argument is that it's wrong to build the church in a square, there are many churches in the center of the city already.
The defenders of the church want to rebuild the Cathedral church destroyed in the 1930s. They say there are no unique trees in the square and they will plant many trees after construction even more than there are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiAaXpTaCzU
After the protests the construction was stopped to find a new place for the church.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:49 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Missing the part where the protesters were attacked by plainclothes thugs from the police side. But that's okay in Putin's Russia. People were mostly mad that these decisions are made for them instead of having the ability to influence decisions by the "authorities".

Old 05-22-2019, 01:55 PM
DKM

FDI (foreign direct investment) in Russia fell to the lowest level in the emerging markets world in the past 4 years according to the entity that measures it, the IIF. One of their main economists blames sanctions as well as the poor investment climate (lack of law enforcement and poor growth potential).

At 0.2% of GDP, this puts Russia below such economic stalwarts like Nigeria and Venezuela and far below Ukraine. But hey, they have propaganda videos on Youtube showing things are great thanks to the leadership so all is well.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Russia’s $30 Million Missile Corvettes Have Four Times the Weapons Range of US $2 Billion Destroyers and Cruisers
Yes they're glorified river boats. They still outrange US ships ten times their weight 660 kilometers to 130

link

Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Missing the part where the protesters were attacked by plainclothes thugs from the police side. But that's okay in Putin's Russia. People were mostly mad that these decisions are made for them instead of having the ability to influence decisions by the "authorities".
This is a complicated story. As I understand it, the church is not built there by the state, but by a large copper mining company. In addition to the church, it was planned to build 2 residential buildings and a business center. The protesters were attacked by local strong guys (most likely hired by a copper company), but the police did not protect the protesters (probably the police took a bribe). Navalny and other oppositionists began to develop the situation in their favor.

In general, you/we/anybody will not find objectivity in this situation, even if you/we/anybody really want.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:23 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Russia’s $30 Million Missile Corvettes Have Four Times the Weapons Range of US $2 Billion Destroyers and Cruisers
Yes they're glorified river boats. They still outrange US ships ten times their weight 660 kilometers to 130
LOL a Corvette would never be able to get close enough to threaten a US Navy ship. And Russian anti-ship weapons cannot hit our destroyers anyway (nothing can actually). Without radar, how would those missiles detect and hit moving ships further than they can see, hmm? They are useless except for defending the Azov sea. In the open ocean they would be death traps for their pitiful crew. The US Navy is not afraid of cheap Russian junk no matter how cool it looks on Kremlin TV "news".

Old 05-23-2019, 11:29 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
LOL a Corvette would never be able to get close enough to threaten a US Navy ship. And Russian anti-ship weapons cannot hit our destroyers anyway (nothing can actually). Without radar, how would those missiles detect and hit moving ships further than they can see, hmm? They are useless except for defending the Azov sea. In the open ocean they would be death traps for their pitiful crew. The US Navy is not afraid of cheap Russian junk no matter how cool it looks on Kremlin TV "news".
Yeah, so not afraid that as much as almost all the crew are written off on the shore ,after a meeting with this stuff)) no Wonder Donald cook was without a team in Constance for a month or two. I can't remember exactly. But you keep going,keep going. Your posts only emphasize the gnashing of the teeth of the American military )))

Quote:
Imitation of the attack of the Russian su-24 bomber on the us Navy destroyer "Donald cook", according to media reports, disabled the protection systems of the American ship, and the crew had a demoralizing effect. 27 sailors of the us Navy destroyer Donald Cook wrote resignation reports, the rest worked with military psychologists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe