Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Leipzig is the new Berlin. A lot of the "scene" is already moving there. I would not suggest Frankfurt or Munich. Depends how big the city should be? Some University towns have a really good flair, like Tübingen, Heidelberg, etc.
I agree with this post. Leipzig, Berlin, Heidelberg, etc would all be good choices. Berlin is an amazing city, but Heidelberg, while smaller, is absolutely gorgeous, has a very vibrant night life and is, in my opinion, in a more scenic part of the country with more to do close by.

Frankfurt is a business town. It's not what I'd call a "fun" place. I wouldn't live there. Heck, I lived thirty minutes from Frankfurt for three years and still managed to avoid it like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM

98 posts, read 208,248 times
Have you considered Karlsruhe?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM

351 posts, read 499,762 times
Hamburg...the forever underrated city (at least by outsiders)

Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 20,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone108 View Post
Have you considered Karlsruhe?
To be honest i looked into the major cities such as ( belin ,hamburg ,frankfurt , munich ) , i have been living in montreal for the past 7 years for school and work , its a city with a population over 1.65 million and am used to these kind of cities , however my main goal is to learn german and thats why am willing to relocate anywhere , karlsruhe i never heard of it before and thats why i didnt take it in consideration

Old 04-15-2014, 05:42 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
I spent a lot of time in Düsseldorf and loved it, Altstadt had plenty of nightlife, the city had a lot to see and do, I would go back in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 PM

646 posts, read 465,043 times
If you want to learn German, don't choose Munich. Hard to understand Bavarians at times, even though Munich IS kind of different, but still. I don't recommend it for people who are not used to it. And frankly, Bavarian sucks.

I agree you should look into Hamburg and mostly Berlin. I think you would enjoy Berlin.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
If you want to learn German, don't choose Munich. Hard to understand Bavarians at times, even though Munich IS kind of different, but still.
There aren't many Bavarian speakers left in Munich anyway And I really doubt that the dialects of Hamburg and Berlin are easier to understand for foreigners...

That said, I'd probably choose Hamburg.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
There aren't many Bavarian speakers left in Munich anyway And I really doubt that the dialects of Hamburg and Berlin are easier to understand for foreigners...

That said, I'd probably choose Hamburg.
More people speak in a dialect in the south than in the north.

I would personally choose between Berlin, Leipzig and Dresden. Liked these cities the most so far.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
More people speak in a dialect in the south than in the north.

I would personally choose between Berlin, Leipzig and Dresden. Liked these cities the most so far.
In all of Bavaria? Probably. In the city of Munich? I doubt it. Ever been there? Most people don't know how to speak Bavarian anymore. Especially the younger ones (under 30).

Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
In all of Bavaria? Probably. In the city of Munich? I doubt it. Ever been there? Most people don't know how to speak Bavarian anymore. Especially the younger ones (under 30).
Yes I have been to Munich, stayed close to the Hbh and there most of the people there were Arabs
I didn't necessarily mean Bairisch under dialect but more of a different kind of Hochdeutsch, which has a strong southern touch to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe