Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,378,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not all American cities have grids.
The vast majority do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The city is rising like a phoenix. The sleeping giant is awakening. Those who are now getting in charge are not the same as the whimpish incompetents than ran the city over the past 30 years. They know the city's potential.

In the past 35 years the UK funded London so it would be a world-city. That happened and the rest of the UK suffered because of it. Now it is time to focus away from London. The rest of the country are getting fed up with being second fiddle to London. It is still going on with the high-speed rail, which is nothing short of joke acting as sluice to ensure wealth pours into London. Only four cites will be on the high-speed network. They even left Liverpool off the high-speed network. Liverpool has a pressure group called 20 Miles More (the distance to the nearest high-speed rail track) to get the high-speed rail into the city. Nearby Manchester is having it, and a very expensive 7 mile tunnel, and if they get it and Liverpool does not you may as well say lock up Liverpool and throw away the key. Liverpool is actually larger than Manchester.

I have a great affection for Liverpool.
Well Greater Manchester is bigger than Liverpool all UK cities have potential is must that the government is so London centric.

Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol etc all have great potential, realistically Manchester and Birmingham should have a metro system like the tube...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Rotterdam, london, birmingham, den hague, etc. American cities were originally based on a english/dutch urban model. Later they evoluated to thrir own way but keeping some sort of family link with dutch and britisg cities. On an other way, british and dutch big cities have evolved to a more American model of cities after WW2. So it is both ways, but british and Dutch cities are still very 'european' compared to the US.

London is very similar to nex uork in the way both are big anglophones world cities, both have architectures with victorian/georgian or english/dutch neiclassical architectures, both are big and socially organised in milticulturam communities...

Well...I don't agree. American cities don't have much relation with their foundation planning. For example, London urban planning is originally Roman, "the city", and then you have the "bourgs" or neighbourhoods for traders and guilds...just like any western European cities.

American cities would have followed a similar course if it weren't by motorization and suburbanization, when inner cities were abandoned and occupied by criminal elements and boring suburban life emerged.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:34 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Do you use skyscrapercity by any chance, John? You remind me of some of the posters on there/
What is skyscrapercity? A forum for skyscrapers I assume. I am not into skyscrapers. The odd one is fine but has to be well designed and few are. Would I rather have Prague or Chicago? Prague any time.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The vast majority do.

Well Greater Manchester is bigger than Liverpool all UK cities have potential is must that the government is so London centric.
???
Quote:
Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol etc all have great potential, realistically Manchester and Birmingham should have a metro system like the tube...
Greater Manchester is a metropolitan district the same as Merseyside, West Yorkshire, etc. The city of Manchester is actually smaller than the city of Liverpool. If Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and Manchester were in Germany they would have had rapid-transit rail networks decades ago. Liverpool already has one.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
American cities would have followed a similar course if it weren't by motorization and suburbanization, when inner cities were abandoned and occupied by criminal elements and boring suburban life emerged.
British cities after WW2 followed a similar pattern. However cities like Liverpool and Manchester started to repopulate the centres with apartments bringing vibrancy back. The centres of these cities now buzz.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,716 times
No city in Europe is nearly close to being American. Many cities are going to be russianized soon because we need dat gas and don't want fracking. Take that Obamaloco.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Rennes, France or Toulouse, France. Of course, the outer portions.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
???

Greater Manchester is a metropolitan district the same as Merseyside, West Yorkshire, etc. The city of Manchester is actually smaller than the city of Liverpool. If Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and Manchester were in Germany they would have had rapid-transit rail networks decades ago. Liverpool already has one.
The City of Manchester is by no means representative of the actual city. Likewise, the city of Liverpool covers a ridiculously small area. Salford is clearly part of Manchester, and Birkenhead is clearly part of Liverpool. Bradford, however, is not part of Leeds.

Manchester has a tram system - a really good one, I might add, although I have already explained to you that Liverpool does not have a metro system - but merely a suburban railway network with an underground tunnel connecting Liverpool city centre to Birkenhead (with one solitary underground railway station - Liverpool Central) - you still seem to believe the opposite is true, however.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,794 times
I looked at some new homes in the UK and Ireland and the building style just slightly resembles the American building style. Hardly anything in continental Europe would match the American building style. Concerning city layout, you'd never find American like suburbanized sprawled-out towns over here. I think Canada or Australia would be better candidates when looking for those.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I looked at some new homes in the UK and Ireland and the building style just slightly resembles the American building style. Hardly anything in continental Europe would match the American building style. Concerning city layout, you'd never find American like suburbanized sprawled-out towns over here. I think Canada or Australia would be better candidates when looking for those.
The 'American building style'?

I assume you mean Georgian and mock Tudor like the neighborhood in New York I grew up in, or prehaps the Pueblo Revival like my current neighborhood, but you couldn't mean that since it is extremely rare outside my little known state.

My point is, although there are some architectural styles characteristically American, there is no 'American building style'. There is a great deal of diversity in architecture in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe