Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:38 PM

399 posts, read 354,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Copenhagen is boring. Nothing to do there. I imagine the rest of Denmark is worse.
Well I loved Dresden today despite having untreated bipolar and anxiety which makes traveling alone anxious. It looks more suitable for long term living than Prague. It’s much more greener - with seemingly more tree-laned sidewalks.

I find Slavic people often are worse than Germans and Austrians. All of them are reserved but the Germans and Austrians usually don’t act like I’m scum in a hostile way. I find Slavic people unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 01:35 AM

Do the Danish and the Germans also hate foreigners as much as other Europeans? Do they have the ex empire mentality as well? Most Europeans societies seem closed to expats in my experience, even ones that are close to my own language- and culture-wise like Czechs and Slovaks. I assume my own country is the same, I've heard Bulgarians accept foreigners only if they're from the ex USSR countries...

Maybe the "New world" immigrant societies are better to start a new life and be accepted as local?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:55 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Do the Danish and the Germans also hate foreigners as much as other Europeans? Do they have the ex empire mentality as well? Most Europeans societies seem closed to expats in my experience, even ones that are close to my own language- and culture-wise like Czechs and Slovaks. I assume my own country is the same, I've heard Bulgarians accept foreigners only if they're from the ex USSR countries...

Maybe the "New world" immigrant societies are better to start a new life and be accepted as local?
Possibly. Historically they're more of a melting pot. Still, you have to learn the language. Becoming fluent in the language is pretty much a requirement anywhere, for the society to open up to you. Also, bear in mind that being a member of an EU country gives you easy access to other EU countries. You will have 0 access to North American countries, unless you're in a profession that's in high demand (computer tech, health care, possibly, various science specialties, engineering possibly).

Old 05-07-2018, 12:10 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting list, thanks for posting. I completely disagree with including Spanish on it, though.
Spanish uses [x] (represented by J in orthography--Juan, bajo), and G between vowels becomes [ɣ] (as in lago, seguir). So I'd say yes, it qualifies as using a couple of these sounds "extensively."

Old 05-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Spanish uses [x] (represented by J in orthography--Juan, bajo), and G between vowels becomes [ɣ] (as in lago, seguir). So I'd say yes, it qualifies as using a couple of these sounds "extensively."
I wouldn't call those "guttural", though, in Spanish. The [x] if very different from the [x] in Russian, for example. It's really closer to an "h" in English. And "g" is "g" in the examples you gave. You probably meant examples like: "agua", "Guatemala", etc. Still, that's not a guttural sound. It's almost silent, in fact. I suppose that could depend on dialect.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:26 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wouldn't call those "guttural", though, in Spanish. The [x] if very different from the [x] in Russian, for example. It's really closer to an "h" in English. And "g" is "g" in the examples you gave. You probably meant examples like: "agua", "Guatemala", etc. Still, that's not a guttural sound. It's almost silent, in fact. I suppose that could depend on dialect.
I think you're conflating the word "guttural" with "loud or harsh sounding." Linguistically speaking, those phonemes [x, ɣ] are guttural because they are made in the throat (velar).

The Spanish G in "agua" may be almost silent, but it is not silent. It's there, and it's guttural. It's also a sound that we don't have in English.

Similarly, Spanish J is not that much like English H. It's pronounced farther back in the throat. That's why in IPA, it's written with [x] and not with [h].

If you drop the G of "agua" and say "bajo" with the English H, you will be understood, but you will sound like a foreigner. That's because non-native speakers often cannot hear the subtle differences between sounds in their language and sounds in another, and even if they can, they substitute more familiar sounds from their own language.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think you're conflating the word "guttural" with "loud or harsh sounding." Linguistically speaking, those phonemes [x, ɣ] are guttural because they are made in the throat (velar).

The Spanish G in "agua" may be almost silent, but it is not silent. It's there, and it's guttural. It's also a sound that we don't have in English.

Similarly, Spanish J is not that much like English H. It's pronounced farther back in the throat. That's why in IPA, it's written with [x] and not with [h].

If you drop the G of "agua" and say "bajo" with the English H, you will be understood, but you will sound like a foreigner. That's because non-native speakers often cannot hear the subtle differences between sounds in their language and sounds in another, and even if they can, they substitute more familiar sounds from their own language.

OK, by the definition of "guttural" you provide, you're right. And yeah, tbh, I'm not entirely sure how "bajo" should be pronounced. I'm a native Russian speaker, so Russian phonetics tends to creep into my foreign language use. I think I used to overdo the [x] in Spanish, out of habit. So IDK where I am with it, now. Maybe somewhere in-between "h" and the Russian [x].

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Stop with the spam and thread hijacking there!
In Germany the Eastern part looks more comfortable for me, but they're also the most xenophobic there.
I prefer to be closer to Central Europe. I looked again at the map, Bavaria was part of West Germany, yet its geographically more Central European so it could work for me. Denmark is the most western I'd go in Europe if you don't count the Canary islands or Madeira as Europe and the most northern so that leaves Sweden and Norway out. So that leaves me with Bavaria vs Denmark.

Last edited by healthy_; 05-07-2018 at 08:25 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Stop with the spam and thread hijacking there!
In Germany the Eastern part looks more comfortable for me, but they're also the most xenophobic there.
I prefer to be closer to Central Europe. I looked again at the map, Bavaria was part of West Germany, yet its geographically more Central European so it could work for me. Denmark is the most western I'd go in Europe if you don't count the Canary islands or Madeira as Europe and the most northern so that leaves Sweden and Norway out. So that leaves me with Bavaria vs Denmark.
Oh, sorry, OP. I guess we got a little off track.
Eastern Germany is cheaper, but....you get what you pay for, as the saying goes. It's cheaper for a reason.

So, now you're debating Bavaria vs. Denmark? No Netherlands? OK, it depends in part on what kind of terrain you prefer. Denmark and Bavaria couldn't be more opposite in that regard. The advantage to a completely flat country is that bicycling is easy. Oh, wait; have you been accepted to a university in southern Germany? This was about uni studies, wasn't it?

Old 01-29-2019, 03:37 PM

Hey, another update. I am more fond of Germany so I am learning German. Visited Dresden and liked it more than Prague even. I am now interested in visiting Bavaria either as a tourist or even look for work there. I already got a Dutch Master degree. Don't think I'd get another lol. I'm 30 now and unemployed since June last year lol.

How time flies, I was 25 when I posted my OP. I met lots of Germans at uni in the Netherlands and liked almost all of them. They seemed nicer than the stereotypes. In fact I find them friendlier than some other nationals from supposedly warm and friendly societies (had mostly negative experiences with Spaniards - too agressive and direct). I try to go with my gut feelings. No need to analyse mentalities of different nations as cliches are just that. If I get on well with people from certain countries or areas, I'd look at those places for tourism and job searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe