Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Ethnic Britons do not. Are you serious? The UK is in northern Europe as defined by the UN - northern Europe is: Scandinavia, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, UK, Ireland and Iceland. The UK is in North Western Europe to be precise. Not only that, it is separated by water.
I hope easthome won't see this...
This is obviously very true. For some weird reasons many people here have some weird geographical conceptions and work hard to make Britain to be somehow southern European or latin-european. Wake up, britain is a quintessentially northern European land: by its language, its culture and its people, its belonging to protestant Europe.... And last but not the least because it is curiously located in northern Europe, along with Netherlands, northern Germany, Denmark, norway etc with which it shares the same latitudes...

Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 PM

237 posts, read 673,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Greeks and most Lebanese look alike. In addition not all Lebanese have dark completion. Like Greeks a vast majority of them have dark or black hair and they usually have dark eyes.

For the British some there are some that can easily pass for some paler Greeks and Lebanese. For British of course natural light blonde hair is rare for adults and they would definitely stand out. People may from the UK claim that Eastern England is the fairest part of the UK, yet even so very blonde hair is not very common in that region. Google Image Result for http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2026921.ece/alternates/s2197/Geordie-Shore-cast-2013.jpg
I always think it's funny how people come on these boards and think they can pass off personal opinion, anecdotal observation, or even their own personal biased want as scientific fact. You have declared a number of "facts" in this post, but it's no different than saying British people are also descended from space aliens. There's nothing that separates what you say from a casual uneducated statement that's based on nothing. And by nothing I mean generalizing an entire regions people on a show that glorifies the fake tan.

Last edited by Mmega; 06-11-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I hope easthome won't see this...
This is obviously very true. For some weird reasons many people here have some weird geographical conceptions and work hard to make Britain to be somehow southern European or latin-european. Wake up, britain is a quintessentially northern European land: by its language, its culture and its people, its belonging to protestant Europe.... And last but not the least because it is curiously located in northern Europe, along with Netherlands, northern Germany, Denmark, norway etc with which it shares the same latitudes...
Oh hello you've raised your head again I see, kindly refrain from posting any lies about what you 'claim' I think, kindly show me where I have EVER said anything like Britain is southern European, you can't because I haven't, in fact if anything you are the one that is always somehow trying to claim that France is some sort of sub tropical paradise!. Let me try one more time to make it clear enough for you - THERE IS NO SPECIFIC BRITISH 'LOOK' - BRITONS AND FRENCH ARE NOT A DIFFERENT RACE OR ETHNICITY - BRITONS COME IN EVERY SHAPE, LOOK AND SHADE AND BLOND BRITONS ARE NOT MORE 'ETHNICALLY' BRITISH THAN DARK HAIRED BRITONS! Is that clear enough for you!? Britains history is (and always has been) a history of immigration and thats why Britons ARE NOT blond OR ginger OR brunette OR now not even necessarily white.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh hello you've raised your head again I see, kindly refrain from posting any lies about what you 'claim' I think, kindly show me where I have EVER said anything like Britain is southern European, you can't because I haven't, in fact if anything you are the one that is always somehow trying to claim that France is some sort of sub tropical paradise!. Let me try one more time to make it clear enough for you - THERE IS NO SPECIFIC BRITISH 'LOOK' - BRITONS AND FRENCH ARE NOT A DIFFERENT RACE OR ETHNICITY - BRITONS COME IN EVERY SHAPE, LOOK AND SHADE AND BLOND BRITONS ARE NOT MORE 'ETHNICALLY' BRITISH THAN DARK HAIRED BRITONS! Is that clear enough for you!? Britains history is (and always has been) a history of immigration and thats why Britons ARE NOT blond OR ginger OR brunette OR now not even necessarily white.
Native British are white.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:53 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
Native British are white.
Some of my family is black and we are ALL native to Britain.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I wouldn't use Geordie Shore cast members as an example or TV shows in general to depict what people look like. Sometimes they aren't very representative. You wouldn't use Jersey Shore as an example of Italians for example. A lot of those people look very artificial and are not representative of the general population. The girls wear very thick makeup and it is impossible to see what their natural skin tone is.

My personal opinion is that British wouldn't look like paler Greeks or Lebanese. Greek and Lebanese have different features than Brits. They are afterall on opposite sides of Europe with Lebanon in the Middle East.
Yet many British have that Geordie Shore look alike about them. Head to the nearest bar or nightclub with lots of British people and you see that.

Not all Greeks or Lebanese have similar features. Some don't have the distinctive nose so many people from that region have or the facial structure either. The former premier of Victoria is of Lebanese heritage and does not have the facial structure or nose so many people of Lebanese background do have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_B...eve_bracks.jpg

Yes I stand that there are native British that have a Mediterranean look.Rowan Atkinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I not saying a majority of majority of British have a Mediterranean look, as British people mostly usually have a variety in looks including Nordic.

Just like not all people from Iceland have Blonde hair and blue eyes. http://marieandthemakeup.com/bjork-for-the-win/

Last edited by other99; 06-11-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Some of my family is black and we are ALL native to Britain.
The more you keep saying this, the more you'll believe. So in the end what's true doesn't even matter.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yet many British have that Geordie Shore look alike about them. Head to the nearest bar or nightclub with lots of British people and you see that.

Not all Greeks or Lebanese have similar features. Some don't have the distinctive nose so many people from that region have or the facial structure either.

Yes I stand that there are native British that have a Mediterranean look.Rowan Atkinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I not saying a majority of majority of British have a Mediterranean look, as British people mostly usually have a variety in looks including Nordic.
No one says people with Rowan Atkinson type looks can't exist in Britain. He's ethnic English, so that pretty much proves that. His actual type of look is atypical though and quite rare. If this goes beyond simply implying that those looks exist in whatever small number, than we can conclude that anyone can play the cherrypicking game. A quasi-Mediterranean look is to be found in Germany as well
http://sorglosheten.se/wp-content/up...1/03/index.jpg
http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com...nz-Ollesch.jpg
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...ya-d4ijyit.jpg
http://www.myspass.de/myspass/imperi...knacki_01.jpeg
http://celebpictu.com/images/ulf-kirsten-07.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Hummels_01.jpg
http://www.memoryradio.de/bilder/lprubin.jpg
The only thing this proves is there is more variation beyond stereotypes.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,419,767 times
Quote:
Greeks and most Lebanese look alike. In addition not all Lebanese have dark completion. Like Greeks a vast majority of them have dark or black hair and they usually have dark eyes.

For the British some there are some that can easily pass for some paler Greeks and Lebanese. For British of course natural light blonde hair is rare for adults and they would definitely stand out. People may from the UK claim that Eastern England is the fairest part of the UK, yet even so very blonde hair is not very common in that region. Google Image Result for http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2026921.ece/alternates/s2197/Geordie-Shore-cast-2013.jpg

Firstly both the Mediterranean gene is dominant in both the Greek and Lebanese, thus there are resemblances, however since the Northern European gene is more common among the Greeks, then lighter complexion is still more common among Greeks than Lebanese. So I would not agree with the "look-alike" statement. Yes the Greeks are on average darker than other Europeans but than the Lebanese. Lebanese are more similar to the people of the Levant (Syrians, Kurds,etc...) than Greeks, and there is European admixture within the Lebanese population dating from ancient times, from the Roman Empire, the Crusades, Colonialism. The ethnic British are a predominantly a Northwestern European people, so they don't look like Lebanese even with dark hair and eyes. There are Lebanese immigrants who are living in Europe and elsewhere with mixed European ancestry, they can look British. Why do mean by fairest? Yes traditionally Eastern England and Scotland had the highest frequency of naturally blonde-headed people in Britain is comparable in that respect to other regions of Northern Europe. My ancestry is from Eastern England, my hair colour is red, I'm very fair-skinned and "tallish"(6 feet and 5 inches). Nevertheless, natural light blonde hair is not that common among adults in any European population including that of the Scandinavians who are the blondest Europeans.

This is a natural light blonde-headed woman, her hair colour is not the norm anywhere.
http://www.fashioneditorials.com/wp-...llie-pol02.jpg

Greeks

Lebanese

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,419,767 times
Quote:

Not all Greeks or Lebanese have similar features. Some don't have the distinctive nose so many people from that region have or the facial structure either. The former premier of Victoria is of Lebanese heritage and does not have the facial structure or nose so many people of Lebanese background do have. Steve Bracks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just like not all people from Iceland have Blonde hair and blue eyes. BJÖRK FOR THE WIN
You're not saying that the majority of British are Mediterraneans? Then what are you saying? You're being really irrelevant.
Now these are facts!
Dark-haired Europeans are not necessarily Mediterraneans, there are many Nordics with dark hair as well. This is due to the fact that in many instances light hair darkens as one grows older into adulthood.
The closest Middle-Easterners to Greeks are Turks, not Lebanese. Greeks are closer to other Southern Europeans such as Macedonians, Italians, Bulgarians, Albanians, etc... Traces of Ancient Greeks genes are still found in populations of Southwest Asia, where Greeks settled in ancient times, lighter hair, eyes than the native population. Greeks are Europeans.

Icelanders have one of highest frequency of light eyes in the world, around 87%. Bjork has light eyes.

More than 40% of ethnic British and Irish women use self-tanning products according to studies. That wouldn't be necessary if they were as dark as you were previously saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe