Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 05:38 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Round heads! lol :-). There is no such thing as 100% British lineage EVERY Briton alive has DNA from people not from these islands there is not a Britain alive today with 100% Celtic, 100% Anglo Saxon, 100% Viking, Roman, Danish, German, Iberian etc etc DNA. So what is this 'round headed' ethnic Briton exactly? And what makes him/her more 'British' than others living on the island?
You do not get it. Over 1,500 years, Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Celts and Vikings have mixed to form the British. In WW1 the British soldiers astutely noticed the Germans had squarer heads, hence the nickname "square heads". They looked different to the British. And the Germans being on a continental land mass were far more mixed than the British being semi-isolated surrounded by water. The British developed their own physical attributes. It is not difficult to understand.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Finally! exactly, it has nothing to do with skin / hair colour! You simply cannot judge anybody's 'Englishness' from how they look because as I've been saying all along there is NO British (English) look, Brits are a completely mixed bag of creeds, shapes and colours (which probably explains the large volume of threads on this subject and the constant disagreements).
You missed everything, wow!! What I meant is this, I don't care about skin color, I care about facts. Whites are indigenous the continent of Europe, including the British Isles. Non-Whites are not indigenous to Europe, including the British Isles. You are the confused ones, yes today there are many non-White Europeans who are the result of relatively recent immigration, this doesn't mean that they are indigenous to Europe/Britain.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Hughes is a Welsh name. Henderson is English.
Well Will Hughes was born in England and he played for England under 18's, I believe. I don't know about his true British origins.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
You do not get it. Over 1,500 years, Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Celts and Vikings have mixed to form the British. In WW1 the British soldiers astutely noticed the Germans had squarer heads, hence the nickname "square heads". They looked different to the British. And the Germans being on a continental land mass were far more mixed than the British being semi-isolated surrounded by water. The British developed their own physical attributes. It is not difficult to understand.
They were called square heads because of the shape of their helmets not their heads!! Do you actually think all Germans have square heads lol For your information EVERYBODY I know (British and non British) ALL have individual 'looks' and different shaped heads 😀

Old 06-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You missed everything, wow!! What I meant is this, I don't care about skin color, I care about facts. Whites are indigenous the continent of Europe, including the British Isles. Non-Whites are not indigenous to Europe, including the British Isles. You are the confused ones, yes today there are many non-White Europeans who are the result of relatively recent immigration, this doesn't mean that they are indigenous to Europe/Britain.
You're still not acknowledging the fact that my girlfriend (for example) has a 'white' mother and (for all we know) may well be able to trace her English ancestors back to the time of the Romans! So if you are saying she is NOT indeginous to Europe/Britain then tell me where is she indeginous to?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Finally! exactly, it has nothing to do with skin / hair colour! You simply cannot judge anybody's 'Englishness' from how they look because as I've been saying all along there is NO British (English) look, Brits are a completely mixed bag of creeds, shapes and colours (which probably explains the large volume of threads on this subject and the constant disagreements).
In comparison to continental Europe, there is relatively very little mixture in what made up the ethnic British and Irish. Within the British Isles, the English as a whole, would be the "most mixed" of the British, due to the fact that they have received more genes which came after the Roman conquest, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans. Nevertheless all these people originated from a geographical location which is also close to Britain. What some people would tag as "British look" is how they perceive the British people see. Others also tag a "French look" or "Russian look", etc....., that's more of an individual or a personal opinion. So stop crying about it! However I have been discussing from a much deeper perspective, scientific which is much more realistic. Disagreements aren't always bad, it help us go deeper into the matter. You had no problem with those who were saying that the British were "Mediterraneans", while Britain itself is located in Northern Europe, not only that, but it is an island in Northern Europe. There is also a French saying which says to the English, "go back to your own island".

Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
In comparison to continental Europe, there is relatively very little mixture in what made up the ethnic British and Irish. Within the British Isles, the English as a whole, would be the "most mixed" of the British, due to the fact that they have received more genes which came after the Roman conquest, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans. Nevertheless all these people originated from a geographical location which is also close to Britain. What some people would tag as "British look" is how they perceive the British people see. Others also tag a "French look" or "Russian look", etc....., that's more of an individual or a personal opinion. So stop crying about it! However I have been discussing from a much deeper perspective, scientific which is much more realistic. Disagreements aren't always bad, it help us go deeper into the matter. You had no problem with those who were saying that the British were "Mediterraneans", while Britain itself is located in Northern Europe, not only that, but it is an island in Northern Europe. There is also a French saying which says to the English, "go back to your own island".
The English are no more 'Mediterranean' than they are Swedish! I just can't believe that in the 21st century people are still thinking like Victorians and as for the French I'm sure that they have many sayings about the English, they're famous for thinking they're somehow 'better' than the British (an inferiority complex perhaps)

Old 06-14-2014, 08:28 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
330+ posts already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about insecurities...

Old 06-14-2014, 08:39 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
Quote:
They were called square heads because of the shape of their helmets not their heads!!
NO their heads. Their heads are more square than the Brits.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
NO their heads. Their heads are more square than the Brits.
Are you seriously trying to suggest that all Germans have 'square heads'!!! 😂
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe