U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Greece to be a Balkan country?
Yes Greece is a Balkan country Geographically Culturally and Geopolitically 15 21.43%
Yes Greece is a Balkan country Geographically and Culturally but not Geopolitically 14 20.00%
Yes Greece is a Balkan country but only Geographically 11 15.71%
NO I do not consider Greece to be a Balkan country 30 42.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:02 AM

72 posts, read 139,784 times

Advertisements

while looking through the forum and reading through many threads related to Balkans I noticed that many posters have mixed opinions on Greece, many believe that Greece does not belong in the "Balkan grouping" while others think it's just geographically linked to Balkan peninsula while culturally considerably different from their neighbors. Also there are those who think Greece is both geographically and culturally a part of Balkans

Well your answers depend on what you consider to be "the Balkans"

So what is Balkans

Geographically speaking
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographical boundaries of the Balkan peninsula
Danube-Sava-Kupa rivers form the northern border (northern border is a bit disputed due to political reasons) Adriatic Sea on the northwest, Ionian Sea on the southwest, the Mediterranean and Aegean Sea on the south and southeast, and the Black Sea on the east and northeast.

Culturally speaking Balkan (to me to me at least) begins at Istanbul and ends at Vienna

Geopolitically speaking Balkan countries vary significantly

Some are occasionally exclude (Slovenia Greece Croatia) while others are included (Romania and Moldova)

So what are your opinions on this topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Status: "State of Satisfied Bliss and Indifference" (set 24 days ago)

7,018 posts, read 11,023,991 times
Geographical definitions can be arbitrary, and geopolitical and cultural definitions are moving targets. So, indeed, all you have are opinions depending on one's point of view in space and time.

I didn't answer the poll question because I rarely view issues in life as either/or, but most as both/and and to what degree.

The real question, which you do not state, is why you are asking the question? What is your agenda? What is your point of view, in space and in time?

And the question, actually questions, you state are a bit confusing. Are you asking about Greece or about the Balkans? Do you include Istanbul and Vienna, or exclude them?

In my view, Greece is mainly a Mediterranean country in terms of economy, but with trade and security concerns from, among other directions, its continental north.

If culture is mainly bound by language, then a lot of very high value - even the highest value - has survived of Greek culture since the very earliest historical/pre-industrial times to the present day.

In my view, Greece as a modern nation-state is a mediocre-to-poor grade grafting of the western European model, but the alternatives are worse, and that is probably the main reason why the European Union works - the alternatives are worse -, sort of.

In my view, the word "Balkan" has no cultural meaning; it is more geographical and geostrategic.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 05-11-2014 at 07:17 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,223,710 times
Greece is geographically in the Balkan peninsula without any doubt, by its geography its is the most balkanic country if we van say so.. It would be like asking if Andalousia is part of Iberian peninsula or not whils it is at the bottom of it, the most peninsular part of the peninsula...

Geopolitically it is something else. Due to the fact that during cold war most of the balkans excluded Greece was under easter block domination there have been a wrond goepolitical grouping of countries under the label "balkan" that used to exclude Greece of it. Now that other balkanic countries have joined the EU there is no reason to maintain this opposition.

By culture the balkan is very culturally and religiously diverse. If something resume the region is its diversity of langauges and religious groups belongings and the fact that all the region has a long lasting belonging to bizantine and ottoman civilisations. In that sense Greece could even be represented as fully Balkaninc as Greek culture was the culture of Byzantine civilisation and greece was under Ottoman domination like the rest of Balkans for centuries.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Status: "State of Satisfied Bliss and Indifference" (set 24 days ago)

7,018 posts, read 11,023,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Greece is geographically in the Balkan peninsula without any doubt
Really? According to Encyclopaedia Britannica I do not read the word "Greece" on that list.

Apparently the word "Balkans" is of Turkish etymology and was first used in western European languages around 1500s, and it became increasingly popular in the west by the late 1700s/early 1800s.

Based on that evolution of the word, and the fact that the OP mentions Vienna and Istanbul as some sort of boundaries (exactly how is not clear), does the OP mean to exclude from the discussion the history of the territory before the 1400s? Just asking ...

From my view in space and time, I do not see any "Balkans", nor for that matter any "Middle East".

Greece, Pelopponesos and the islands (Achaia) uniquely straddle the central and eastern Mediterranean. No other "Balkan" country does that.

Are Crete and Pelopponesos to Greece what Sicily is to Italy? Just asking ...

Last edited by bale002; 05-11-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 02:41 PM

618 posts, read 2,713,437 times
Greek culture is most similar to Turkish, southern Italian and most importantly other Balkan countries, so yes. The odd one out in the Balkans, culturally, is Croatia or Romania.

People generally think of Greece as Mediterranean though due to historical links with Italy.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM

72 posts, read 139,784 times
interestingly majority of voters do not consider Greece to be a Balkan country. also noticed that many people here say "Greece and Balkans" but which countries fall under this "Balkans"?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM

80,940 posts, read 73,997,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Greek culture is most similar to Turkish, southern Italian and most importantly other Balkan countries, so yes. The odd one out in the Balkans, culturally, is Croatia or Romania.

People generally think of Greece as Mediterranean though due to historical links with Italy.
Why would Croatia and Romania be excluded on cultural grounds? Romania's culture is strongly Balkan. And Greek folk culture is quite clearly Balkan. If you exclude Greece, you'd have to consider excluding Macedonia, which wouldn't make sense.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 PM

58 posts, read 77,252 times
Greece is, from a strictly geographical POV, both Balkan and Mediterranean.

From a geopolitical POV, it is Mediterranean but not Balkan. When I was in Greece, I noticed they regard Italians as their best friends "Una faccia, una raccia" (sp?). Ask Greeks what the think of Albanians or even Bulgarians, to not even mention the FYROM.

From a cultural POV, it is its own thing, though it has had influences from the Mediterranean, the Balkan and Anatolia, and it has influenced these regions as well to the same degree, if not more.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM

618 posts, read 2,713,437 times
I can't imagine not seeing Greece as a Balkan country. Their food, music, etc. is just like other neighboring Balkan countries.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 4,042,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I can't imagine not seeing Greece as a Balkan country. Their food, music, etc. is just like other neighboring Balkan countries.
..not to mention their history for the last 1000+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkai View Post
From a geopolitical POV, it is Mediterranean but not Balkan. When I was in Greece, I noticed they regard Italians as their best friends "Una faccia, una raccia" (sp?). Ask Greeks what the think of Albanians or even Bulgarians, to not even mention the FYROM.
Isn't that a hint that Greece belongs in a discussion about the Balkans? What they think of Bulgarians is almost entirely based on the struggle for Macedonia. Of course Greeks are going to say they are different and imply they are "better" given that Balkan is a pejorative term for the rest of the world.

Quote:
Balkans, also called Balkan Peninsula, easternmost of Europe’s three great southern peninsulas, usually characterized as comprising Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, and Moldova. However, there is not universal agreement on the region’s components.
There's something wrong with that enumeration when Slovenia and Croatia are included but not Greece. It looks like the list started with the fairly narrow definition of "Yugoslavia, Albania, Bulgaria and Romania" and then someone mindlessly added to it when Yugoslavia was torn apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe