Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:19 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The word "bourg" is just a transcrption of burg with a francized spelling.
I thought so. "Burg" sounds like something essentially German)))))
I can't see how it can be anything remotely French))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I thought so. "Burg" sounds like something essentially German)))))
I can't see how it can be anything remotely French))))
Erm, actually it IS a french word, not sure what this guy has been smoking. Like a commonly used word, not a german word used in french.
[url=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourg]Bourg[/url]

It gave words like "Bourgmestre" or "Bourgeois"

Of course it has germanic origins, like a few other french words (after all France comes from the germanic tribe called the Franks), but about 50% of english words come from old French, does that mean these words are french ?

As for Strasbourg, it might come directly from German though, keine Ahnung !

Old 05-18-2014, 04:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
Erm, actually it IS a french word, not sure what this guy has been smoking. Like a commonly used word, not a german word used in french.
Bourg

It gave words like "Bourgmestre" or "Bourgeois"

Of course it has germanic origins, like a few other french words (after all France comes from the germanic tribe called the Franks), but about 50% of english words come from old French, does that mean these words are french ?

As for Strasbourg, it might come directly from German though, keine Ahnung !

In the case of Strasbourg, "bourg" is a french transcription of the german name. The word "bourg" exist and is used to refer to small rural towns. It comes from latin "burgus" which itself was of germanic roots. The word exist in other romance languages (borgo, burgo) and gave the name of the spanish city Burgos or the Italian family name Borghese (more or less the same as the french "bourgeois")

Cf. "Bourgmestre" is not used in "standard" french, as it is specifically a Belgian expression, which I feel looks like it has been a transcription a flemish expression. In standard french it is "maire".

Last edited by french user; 05-18-2014 at 05:31 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Good question!! As I am going to relocate in South Germany next year unfortunately (I love Germany but... home sweet home)

In my experience, it is not very similar but much more than other places, I've felt like at home more times in South Germany than in other countries.

By The Way...Is 1530€-1600€/month a good net salary for Bayern?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
By The Way...Is 1530€-1600€/month a good net salary for Bayern?
It depends on where exactly you are going to live and the standard of living you are used to. 1600€ will definitely get you further in smaller cities than smack in the centre of Munich.

But considering that a lot of people earn a lot less than that and get by easily, I think you are going to be fine.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:40 PM

132 posts, read 150,050 times
@Jesse44

Quote:
I think Southern Germany is what people usually think of when you say Germany. The north and east seem very industrial and dreary by comparison, South is where all the hard-work and funny shaped houses happen.
Southern Germany is much stronger industrialised than the North or the East. Bayern and Baden-Württemberg, both have recently overtaken Nordrhein-Westfalen by manufacturing jobs. Despite that the population in Nordrhein-Westfalen is 50% larger than that from Bayern or Baden-Württemberg. The region Mittlerer Neckar (Metro Stuttgart) is the largest industrial area in Germany, it has overtaken the Ruhrgebiet long time ago.

In the state of Niedersachsen are more single family houses than in the South. Yes, there are probably more bleak areas in the North (especially the Ruhrgebiet) than in the South. But almost every region in Northern Germany is also very beautiful, it's just different. I find it annoying that almost every person from outside Europe equates Germany with Bayern.

Here are some examples from the beauty of northern parts of Germany:

Emsland - überraschend! - YouTube

Wernigerode,Germany - YouTube

Imagefilm Lübeck - YouTube

Bergisches Land - YouTube

This list probably could be infinite continued

Even the Ruhrgebiet can be very beautiful:

Ruhr 2010 - Essen Kulturhauptstadt 2010 / Essen cultural capital 2010 - YouTube

Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It depends on where exactly you are going to live and the standard of living you are used to. 1600€ will definitely get you further in smaller cities than smack in the centre of Munich.

But considering that a lot of people earn a lot less than that and get by easily, I think you are going to be fine.
Yes I suppose the school where I am going to work is not in the centre, I don't drink alcohol or smoke so I suppose it is a plus in order to save money.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM

If the article at wiki is correct, than Straßburg is of german origin. In 1681 Straßburg became french at the first time.

Straße is the german word for street. Burg is the german word for a fortified castle. In Germany the official used name for the city is still Straßburg, IDK why. The second biggest city in Elsass is Mulhouse, the german name for the city is Mülhausen. The name for the city derives from the german word Mühle (mill). A correct translation ot the name in french would be Maison de Moulin? But not sure. The arms of the city is still a mill wheel.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM

@The Postman

Quote:
Southern Germany is mostly Catholic, that's one way they're more Southern European, is that not a cultural similarity? I'd say they're somewhat more dark-featured, but still more Germanic than Mediterranean of course.
It's very important to understand that Southern Germany is not very homogenous. There are deep differences between Bayern and Baden-Württemberg. There are also differences inside the states. Baden-Württemberg is a merger from three different provinces. Baden, Württemberg-Baden and Württemberg-Hohenzollern. As far as I know Württemberg is more protestantic and Baden more catholic. The Ulmer Münster in Ulm near the border to Bayern has the tallest church tower in the world, it's a protestantic church. The state Nordrhein-Westfalen much further in the North of Germany is more catholic than Baden-Württemberg in the South. Especially the more rural parts of Nordrhein-Westfalen are strongly shaped by catholizism. But I think that don't lead to cultural similarities with Bayern. From my point of view Bayern has more similarities with Austria than with Germany. Despite the huge differences between Bayern and Northern Germany. The differences between Italy and Bayern are 100 times bigger.

The impact of religion on the live in Germany is very limited today. As far as I know only about 25% of the people in West Germany believe in god. The percentage is higher in Bayern, I guess, but that doesn't leads to cultural similarities with Italy.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Speaking in general terms of course.

I knew one girl from Munich and she looked like she could be from Italy or Spain with her somewhat dark skin, dark hair and dark eyes.

Is this common with people down there and are they reserved like northern europeans or are they more open like southern europeans?

Weather - how sunny and warm is it in Southern Germany compared to the North?
In general terms, not very similar at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe