Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, actually most Europeans not in the Mediterranean see as sunless winters in terms of % of daylight. Sunshine hours is not a debate here, but I can tell you the US sunshine recordings are quite generous, as they are set on 96W/m2 instead of the 120W/m2.

My city gets 1436 sunshine hours in April-September, while Montréal sees 1339. It's not that bad, isn't it?

After a long, cold, dark winter? Well the Montréal, Minneapolis or Detroit winters are colder and as long. It's also not very fair to compare Scandinavia with Maryland or other borderline subtropical areas, but for places that are in the same league. The summers aren't warmer in Amsterdam or Berlin on average that they are in Helsinki or Stockholm. And neither in Vancouver or Calgary. And when Vancouver sees more rainfall in 5 months as we see in a year, that's nothing to write home about either. Take a look at February this year in Winnipeg, it was colder than anything I ever have experienced here.

And as much as there's people, as many weather preferences are there. My dad for example don't like heat at all, and definitely prefers a 70F day instead of a 90F day. And it's not 70F every day in summer here either. We've already seen a bunch of 80's F this spring and there's more to come. I don't require much warmer than that. 77-85F is enough for me.

A Phoenix summer or Seattle winter would be hell, and definitely don't see them as an improvement to our climate. I can tell you 40F and constant rain is much tougher than 30F and a snowy landscape.

Well, there could be a lot of improvement, but you said that Scandinavia has "the worst climate thinkable", when it's simply not true. I'm quite interested in weather, and can name a 100 locations top of my head that have a worse climate. And in the end of the day, I rather take this sub-par climate compared to a miserable hellhole like Bodymore with a better climate. As the QOL was what we were talking about.

I'm not an apologist, I'm just trying to set the facts straight. The stereotype goes that Scandinavia sees no sunlight, it's pitch dark and freezing like hell, but it isn't. And it's not that we all suffer from SAD either. Or am I not allowed to defend my climate?

Remember Ariete-This forum is heavily populated with the "No place on Earth could POSSIBLY be better than America, in ANY way" crowd. So take most of this with a grain of salt. After having spent significant time in Finland, I never wanted to leave!!. I love the Nordic quality of life America could learn a thing or two from Scandinavia, or even my current home Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
What is so great about the UK, aside from London? The climate is gloomy, high income equality, rigid class structure, small houses/apartments (average size).
I can only say positive things about Cambridge and to some extent Oxford. But Cambridge took the cake. I was there in June so the weather was of course great. The first initial contact i had with a local was when i went down to the local liquor store to buy some cigs. The elderly typical dignified brit was very keen to serve and that's the type of costumer service i like. There was a free music festival in the local park which i attended and met a local girl who was also more than willing to show around her neighborhood of Cherry Hinton which had a substantial working class immigrant pop. And the next evening we went to see a movie at Corn Exhange, when we came out we saw a nasty fight outside a pub. Blokes were hitting each other with chairs. All in all great memories though! As for income equality IDK the Cherry Hinton area was a bit sketchy but i guess you find those areas in most cities. And as for how the society operates on a wider level i have no idea. But what more can you expect from a tourist looking for a little fun?

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 06-06-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
What is so great about the UK, aside from London? The climate is gloomy, high income equality, rigid class structure, small houses/apartments (average size).
There are good things about the UK - friendly people, good food, the houses aren't that small. But yeah the climate is just so damp, its always so cold in my parents' house because of the dampness, and the income inequality is not good and its getting worse.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Income inequality is actually improving, or at least, it was in 2013, but it got worse in most countries over the past two decades - more so in Scandinavia than in the UK. Their sh*t stinks too, even if they don't admit it. The pinnacle of civilisation it isn't.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
I admit it. And it has gotten worse. But you also have to keep in mind from where we started, and for that reason I'm not worried about it.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
It has gotten worse here too, its gotten worse in most places but here people aren't killing themselves because they can't afford to pay rent or starving to death because they can't buy food.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:58 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
when we came out we saw a nasty fight outside a pub. Blokes were hitting each other with chairs.
I have never seen that in Cambridge. In East Anglia there are high levels of Polish communities. At the weekend they do get a little drunk as it is a part of their culture. In some towns, the police appear in big numbers at the weekends to deter any anti-social behaviour which many Poles from heavy drinking are invariably involved. They sometimes lock horns with the locals. Some once sleepy rural towns have been turned into cowboy towns at the weekends.

I am not singling out Poles, it is just that way as they are large in numbers in East Anglia - and drink heavily.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Did you ask the identical twins with their mini lop why they moved to Londres? Did they tell Sweden was that bad? Did you tell them about your resentment against the Nordic Countries?
I saw one of the Swedish twins yesterday. She had a boyfriend. True to form she was with an Arab guy.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I saw one of the Swedish twins yesterday. She had a boyfriend. True to form she was with an Arab guy.
*gasp*

Rassenschande!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
*gasp*

Rassenschande!
She can never return to Sweden...ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe