Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
All posts bar two in the last three pages written by American posters, but somehow us Europeans are obsessed with America?
I think Europeans are very happy with their public benefits. The US may be nice to visit, but few would want to live here.

And what about Canada? Same wide-open spaces, same nice, detached homes with yards, cars, etc., but there's a much more functional social services/retirement/medical insurance system. I don't know why the debate is always about the US, when Canada is actually the much more sensible choice.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Europeans are not obsessed with the US. CD is the only place where I see threads like this which are constantly repeating. Do Europeans envy Americans, do Americans envy Europeans, which is better Europe or US, who is superior, blah blah blah. And you participate them as well.
Just ignore Invince he cannot resist claiming everyone is obsessed over the United States. It's a common refrain of his, especially when a European suggests they're not envious of the American lifestyle in a thread titled "Are Europeans envious of the American lifestyle".

Old 06-26-2014, 05:04 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
By the way, I find it interesting in the context of this thread, that just as more of Europe is moving toward completely free higher education, including advanced degrees, the US is going in the opposite direction; opening more for-profit universities and professional schools. Why should anyone envy the US?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
All posts bar two in the last three pages written by American posters, but somehow us Europeans are obsessed with America?
Fancy that! In a thread titled: "Do Europeans envy the American lifestyle" you would think one would expect answers to that question to come from primarily Europeans but as has been noted EVEN Americans may be obsessed over this quandry. Haaaar! Ya just can't make this chit up!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think Europeans are very happy with their public benefits. The US may be nice to visit, but few would want to live here.

And what about Canada? Same wide-open spaces, same nice, detached homes with yards, cars, etc., but there's a much more functional social services/retirement/medical insurance system. I don't know why the debate is always about the US, when Canada is actually the much more sensible choice.
Perfect! now lets all talk about Canada and Canadian now

Old 06-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Just ignore Invince he cannot resist claiming everyone is obsessed over the United States. It's a common refrain of his, especially when a European suggests they're not envious of the American lifestyle in a thread titled "Are Europeans envious of the American lifestyle".
Oh trust me, it has nothing to do with this thread.

Gotta be living under the rock if you think the United States is not the most criticized country in the world.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol no we didn't. just because there is land around my house doesnt mean i don't interact with anybody.

distant from everything? not really 5 minute drive to plenty of stores and restaurants.

Its okay, you said you aren't from here so i'm not really surprised.
you do realize you just made the poster's point for them with that "just a five minute drive" comment. How many people did you stop and interact with on your "five minute drive" to and fro?

That is the first basic difference right there. Even in semi-urban European communities a significan number will saddle up and walk instead of taking the five minute drive and during that walk they will interact, perhaps even stop for a pint and glass of wine to chat with neighbours before returning home to make dinner.

It's different over there Invince. No one is claiming it's better. They're simply highlighting their preferences. Don't take everything as a personal indictment against YOUR preferences and continue turning that into an anti-American theme.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
you do realize you just made the poster's point for them with that "just a five minute drive" comment. How many people did you stop and interact with on your "five minute drive" to and fro?
No i didn't, that poster said it was isolated.

its not isolated, we live in the year 2014, we all have cars.

and we can interact with people at the store or restaurant or wherever i may be driving to.

sorry, when i see people who live thousands of miles away tell me how i live i just feel the need to correct them.

Quote:
That is the first basic difference right there. Even in semi-urban European communities a significan number will saddle up and walk instead of taking the five minute drive and during that walk they will interact, perhaps even stop for a pint and glass of wine to chat with neighbours before returning home to make dinner.
Okay? that is nice but all i am saying is life in the burbs isn't like living in northern Alaska.

Quote:
It's different over there Invince. No one is claiming it's better. They're simply highlighting their preferences. Don't take everything as a personal indictment against YOUR preferences and continue turning that into an anti-American theme.
And stop assuming random stuff about me because honestly you don't really know me or what i am talking about half the time.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Our (Canadian)? buddy asks "Do Europeans envy the American lifestyle?"

Poster responds with
"You mean eating McDonalds everyday, having to worry about random guys shooting at you for no reason, terrible transportation, fat people galore? No Thanks "

And Americans aren't allowed to defend their country because "They're simply highlighting their preferences"

Pft... oh please and they say "huh? what anti-Americanism?"

Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Our (Canadian)? buddy asks "Do Europeans envy the American lifestyle?"

Poster responds with
"You mean eating McDonalds everyday, having to worry about random guys shooting at you for no reason, terrible transportation, fat people galore? No Thanks "

And Americans aren't allowed to defend their country because "They're simply highlighting their preferences"

Pft... oh please and they say "huh? what anti-Americanism?"
Okie dokie then. It was that one poster you've been responding to by lumping everyone who were only describing their preferences in with him/her.

Your counterpoints are good enough. They stand scrutiny. Accusing all who might opine preferences different from yours are not necessarily on an anti-American kick, especially when the bulk of the critique is coming from your fellow Americans; just say'n. Americans are now also anti-American? Say what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe