Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 02:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Health care costs and College Education costs are very high in USA as compared to Europe. Absence of Public Transport in most parts and total dependence on Cars is one thing which many people do not like about USA. Europeans, in general, do not surround themselves with huge debts nor do they envy Guns, Religion etc. They are not a very Conservative lot.
These are things Americans don't like about America, either. Poor public transportation, unaffordable college education, over-dependence on cars, and a health care system that causes people to go bankrupt, even when they have insurance.

Religion is a big deal only in some parts of the country. In other parts of the country, religion is less a presence in people's lives than in Europe.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:11 PM

545 posts, read 866,119 times
The huge lands of wild nature is the biggest thing I envy about the US. About daily life, not so much. But sometimes about job, because in my field I would be paid much more in the US than in France.. But do I want to work like a slave to get this salary ? I'm not so sure, maybe 4-5 years but in the end I think I would miss a lot the European job culture.
If you are poor or lower middle class, you'll have a better quality of life living in a medium European city than anywhere in the US. If you are rich, US is better. If you are mega-rich, it doesn't matter where you live..
Anyway, the only thing I buy are food, cloths, some electronic devices and some things here and there. Otherwise I spent my money on travels and parties with my friends. And for both, I feel like it's better in Europe. And I prefer small homes with a lot of stuff than big empty ones. But I'm certainly biased because I'm obviously more accustomed to the European way of life. And the US are not enough exotic.
From my point of view, US feels better if you are an upper class family looking for an easy going life or if you give a lot of importance about your career. If not, I have the impression that Europe offers more.
If I had to leave Paris tomorrow, the US wouldn't be on my list. Maybe Texas or SF, but that's all. Canada and Australia give me more dreams than the US in the anglosphere.
But I will definitely travel in the US again, even if living there don't interest me, visiting does !

Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 PM

217 posts, read 277,044 times
Being from a practically man-made country, what i envy about the US is the fact that you have a lot of wild nature, open spaces, different climates. But i much prefer a more European lifestyle.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:32 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Functioning in sub zero temperatures is easy. You just wear the right clothes, problem solved. Snow is nicer than all the rain you get in the UK, and the dry air means it doesn't feel as cold as a similar temperature would do in the UK.
Functioning in sub zero temperatures is not easy and its bloody horrible, I dont want to have to put on and wear several layers of clothes just to go shopping, I dont want to have to dig out my car from the drive every time I want to drive anywhere, I dont want to walk and slip slide on icy pavements or shovel snow just to get to my front door, I want my (aging) car to start first time on a January morning, I dont want to have to change my tyres every six months, I dont want to have to scratch at an icy window every morning in the winter months, I want to go to my football matches at Christmas, you say all that rain' but where I live is one of the driest places in the whole of Northern Europe, London is drier than Paris, Rome and Istanbul we don't get a lot of rain in my part of the the UK! And as for that bit about 'dry cold'! I'm telling you I have NEVER experienced ANYTHING like the discomfort I experienced in Zagreb here in the UK.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:36 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Wow so many 'I's in that one massive paragraph...

Old 06-08-2014, 03:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Functioning in sub zero temperatures is not easy and its bloody horrible, I dont want to have to put on and wear several layers of clothes just to go shopping, I dont want to have to dig out my car from the drive every time I want to drive anywhere, I dont want to walk and slip slide on icy pavements or shovel snow just to get to my front door, I want my (aging) car to start first time on a January morning, I dont want to have to change my tyres every six months, I dont want to have to scratch at an icy window every morning in the winter months, I want to go to my football matches at Christmas, you say all that rain' but where I live is one of the driest places in the whole of Northern Europe, London is drier than Paris, Rome and Istanbul we don't get a lot of rain in my part of the the UK! And as for that bit about 'dry cold'! I'm telling you I have NEVER experienced ANYTHING like the discomfort I experienced in Zagreb here in the UK.
And yet, society in Scandinavia continues normally in winter, regardless of the cold. I guess they are not crybabies.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
And yet, society in Scandinavia continues normally in winter, regardless of the cold. I guess they are not crybabies.
I'm sure they do, nevertheless I am still at a loss as to why British weather is supposed to be worse than Finland's or Norways, Swedens, Polands Germany's or Russia's let alone the 'worst in the world'.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
not our lifestyle bek they think we are pigs. they envy our money and freedom
i can only speak of france and mexico.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not our lifestyle bek they think we are pigs. they envy our money and freedom
i can only speak of france and mexico.
What is this 'freedom' thing that Americans go on about? In what way do you have more 'freedom' in the US compared to say France?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What is this 'freedom' thing that Americans go on about? In what way do you have more 'freedom' in the US compared to say France?
It's probably guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe