Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 10:22 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
That is not true. 20% of the Swedish population are first or second generation immigrants. If we add the people with one immigrant parent, we are probably up to almost 30%. This is a fact that is often overlooked as people think Sweden is 100% protestant blue-eyed blondes.
Sweden is a homogeneous country, particularly if you're going to compare it to the U.S. 79.16% of the population is ethnically Swedish. 4.68% of the population is ethnic Finnish. That sounds pretty homogeneous compared to the U.S. where 37.27% of the total population is non-White. And within that "white" population, there is obviously a great deal of heterogeneity, including 4.3 million people of Swedish ancestry.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
For whoever left the anonymous insult as a "rep point" to me - leave your name next time. Better yet - send me a private message.

But thanks for the rep point.

Now, I'd love to continue chatting here, but I really need to go run some errands - I need to go check out a new boarding service that we're going to use to board our dogs while we go on vacation next week. I need to go open up my new membership at a local gym/yoga studio (we just moved so I had to cancel my other membership). I need to meet with a local contractor about the pool we're planning for our backyard (our kids, grandkids, and friends are as excited about that as my husband and I are!). And I really need to run by the store to pick up some organic produce and raw milk - I love the yogurt and cheese I can make from that milk with the delicious cream on top.

I've also got some feelers out about who to donate a refrigerator to, and I need to run by the local library and get the next book that the local book club is going to be reading.

It's a good thing I've got my pedometer on, because I really enjoy watching it top 10,000 steps walked in a day! I'm sure I'll hit that and go beyond it after I finish my evening walk around my neighborhood (note to self - turn off timer when stopping to talk with neighbors).

Just another day of my American lifestyle.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-09-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM

192 posts, read 270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Brittany is a popular region among American tourists. It's not exactly off the beaten path. France actually has more tourists than any other country in the world.

World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brittany doesn't have as many visitors as the South or Paris, obviously, but to say that there aren't many tourists because it's so remote is not accurate.
In all the years I've lived in Brittany I've never met an American other than the occasional driver passing through on their way to the south of France from the Normandy beaches.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Sweden is a homogeneous country, particularly if you're going to compare it to the U.S. 79.16% of the population is ethnically Swedish. 4.68% of the population is ethnic Finnish. That sounds pretty homogeneous compared to the U.S. where 37.27% of the total population is non-White. And within that "white" population, there is obviously a great deal of heterogeneity, including 4.3 million people of Swedish ancestry.
Sweden doesn't have data on its people's ethnical background... You are comparing the percentage of people with Swedish nationality (~80%) to the percentage of people that aren't white in America. It's impossible to tell whether those Swedish people are white, black, yellow or green.

Please compare apples to apples...

Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Sweden doesn't have data on its people's ethnical background... You are comparing the percentage of people with Swedish nationality (~80%) to the percentage of people that aren't white in America. It's impossible to tell whether those Swedish people are white, black, yellow or green.
The French government does not officially maintain data on ethnic background either. That doesn't mean reliable estimates can't be made.

SWEDEN : general data

Swedes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unlike Sweden, there is no "American" ethnic group. The largest ancestry in the U.S. (German) only accounts for about 15% of the total population.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
The French government does not officially maintain data on ethnic background either. That doesn't mean reliable estimates can't be made.

SWEDEN : general data
Latest census: 1994.

Really new statistics.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Latest census: 1994.

Really new statistics.
I'm sure the percentage of ethnic Swedes has plummeted to 60% in the last 20 years.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the percentage of ethnic Swedes has plummeted to 60% in the last 20 years.
Right, let's just make up numbers and estimate how many people have a certain background

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM

595 posts, read 719,447 times
Quote:
And within that "white" population, there is obviously a great deal of heterogeneity, including 4.3 million people of Swedish ancestry.
A white american of Swedish Ancestry is like an German-American, a French-American, or a British-American, a 100% culturally American that the only relationship he has with his country of origin is his family name.

If you like to say that's heterogeneity then you have to say the same about Sweden due to the large number of people with ancestors from southern and eastern Europe or white Latin Americans that in the census count as Swedish because they were born there.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
and white Latin Americans that in the census count as Swedish because they were born there.
And don't forget Achmed, 23 years old and born in Kabul, who assumed Swedish citizenship in 2008. According to the Swedish census he is as Swedish as the King of Sweden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe