Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Whoa this thread has lost its bitterness, nationalistic slant and stereotyping and has turned friendly and interesting....and I blame Kathryn for it

PS: I can almost hear your southern drawl on some of these posts Kat lol

I've heard her speak before. I told her I could just as easily hear her welcoming me into her home for a cold beer, as I could her telling me to get the hell off her lawn.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They've requested it but it's a hard assignment to get with the military drawdown. My other daughter did luck out and get England for two years but they just returned. My oldest daughter was so jealous of her! LOL one got England...and one got Guam. Poor baby.
Have them catch a Space A Hop to Hawaii and meet them there

Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I live in a Maryland suburb of Washington DC. In my yard, I regularly see deer, groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, turtles, hawks, humming birds, foxes, raccoons, snakes, ducks, and so much other wildlife. It almost feels like a nature preserve. There are also many small farms nearby.

Yet, I also live near a metrorail station that connects straight into Washington DC.
We also have a huge population of White-tailed deer (Odocoileus Virginianus) here in southern Finland. A gift from the Finns in Minnesota. The whole population today (30,000) is offspring to one buck and 4 females who managed to survive the long trip by boat from USA to Helsinki harbor in 1934.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 07-13-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 11:22 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
I've really enjoyed the insights into other peoples' lives, without the debating, and I hope we can continue this attitude and conversation!

I've got to go do some American lifestyling though. I'm making yogurt, and I also need to plant the herbs my grandkids and I started from seeds, in a flower bed I've got but need to clean out (we just moved into this house a month ago). Thank goodness my back yard is shaded! When it gets too hot, I'll come inside and I have to do some business paperwork (ugh). Then I need to decide what I'm taking on vacation! Call me crazy, but I always love to pack for a trip. I always overpack though.

Tomorrow is a really busy day because it's the day before we leave. I'm going to deep clean my house and tie up a lot of loose ends, do laundry, etc. I have to work in a yoga class and a physical assessment at the new gym (can't wait to start my new workout program!). Oh, and as usual, gotta get my 10,000 steps in on my pedometer. Considering I blew out both Achilles tendons over the past couple of years and had to have them both surgically repaired - I am pretty proud of those 10k daily steps!

I'll check in later, of course. C-D is my guilty pleasure - that and one square of dark chocolate every night!
I pack a week ahead of time. And it's not my favourite thing to do. I overpack as well. I didn't mind packing as much when we were allowed 2 suitcases.

Asheville? Done Biltmore before?

You mentioned going to New England next summer I think? We've decided to finally scratch that one of our list Sept. next year. Used to live in MA as a kid and wanted to go back and do the historic stuff.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I've heard her speak before. I told her I could just as easily hear her welcoming me into her home for a cold beer, as I could her telling me to get the hell off her lawn.
LOL right - and one is just as likely to come flying out of my mouth as the other! OR, I COULD tell you, "Hey, if you're going to cut across my lawn like an untrained mule, you could at least stop in for a cold beer!"

Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Have them catch a Space A Hop to Hawaii and meet them there
LOL good idea in theory but the reality is very different for a family of six. They took Space A to Japan a few weeks ago and got stranded there - and finally had to spring for $6000 to get home!

I don't think I can talk her into trying that again.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:27 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
They've requested it but it's a hard assignment to get with the military drawdown. My other daughter did luck out and get England for two years but they just returned. My oldest daughter was so jealous of her! LOL one got England...and one got Guam. Poor baby.

Oh you should totally get your granddaughter over there when she turns twelve! My oldest granddaughter is about to turn 12 and she and her mother are grating together like two rusty cogs. As their mom and grandmother, I can see that one reason is that they're both firstborns and very much alike. I may steal her for a few weeks later this year. She's homeschooled so maybe I could nab her in the winter so she could get a break from tropical weather! Good idea.
I've only seen my granddaughter once or twice a year and one year when she saw me just after our arrival she said she wanted to come and live with me. Her poor mother's face dropped.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
LOL good idea in theory but the reality is very different for a family of six. They took Space A to Japan a few weeks ago and got stranded there - and finally had to spring for $6000 to get home!

I don't think I can talk her into trying that again.

> Yeah, that's why I'm prepared to pay if I have too. Some times of year are much better than others for Space A

Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I pack a week ahead of time. And it's not my favourite thing to do. I overpack as well. I didn't mind packing as much when we were allowed 2 suitcases.

Asheville? Done Biltmore before?

You mentioned going to New England next summer I think? We've decided to finally scratch that one of our list Sept. next year. Used to live in MA as a kid and wanted to go back and do the historic stuff.
Yes, we've done Biltmore before but it was just a one day trip - a sort of side trip - and this time we really want to explore the estate, as well as tour Greenbrier Bunker in WV.
The Greenbrier - The Bunker at The Greenbrier

After enjoying every season of Downton Abbey, we are looking forward to doing the "servant's tour" of Biltmore.

Hey, we may run into each other in New England next year because if we go next year we're going in September too! (Our ten year anniversary is technically in May 2016 but we want to do NE in the fall so we aren't sure whether we're going in 2015 or 2016 yet.) I absolutely cannot wait to see Boston and all the other historic stuff in MA. One branch of my family was involved in BOTH sides of the Salem witch trials as well, so I am very really looking forward to that part of the trip. I really like to connect with my family's history and thanks to some relatives, we know a lot of it.

I loved the historic areas of PA and I ADORED living in the Historic Triangle region of VA when I was a kid. I've gone back there over and over again over my lifetime. There's something so interesting to me about colonial history. And when I got to Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London, I thought I'd faint from the sheer excitement of standing right there with all that history all around me.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, we've done Biltmore before but it was just a one day trip - a sort of side trip - and this time we really want to explore the estate, as well as tour Greenbrier Bunker in WV.
The Greenbrier - The Bunker at The Greenbrier

After enjoying every season of Downton Abbey, we are looking forward to doing the "servant's tour" of Biltmore.

Hey, we may run into each other in New England next year because if we go next year we're going in September too! (Our ten year anniversary is technically in May 2016 but we want to do NE in the fall so we aren't sure whether we're going in 2015 or 2016 yet.) I absolutely cannot wait to see Boston and all the other historic stuff in MA. One branch of my family was involved in BOTH sides of the Salem witch trials as well, so I am very really looking forward to that part of the trip. I really like to connect with my family's history and thanks to some relatives, we know a lot of it.

I loved the historic areas of PA and I ADORED living in the Historic Triangle region of VA when I was a kid. I've gone back there over and over again over my lifetime. There's something so interesting to me about colonial history. And when I got to Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London, I thought I'd faint from the sheer excitement of standing right there with all that history all around me.

If you have the chance, go to Rhode Island and see Newport

I also have witch trial ancestors. Martha Allen Carrier, and executed Salem Witch is my 8th Great Grandmother on my Maternal side.. I have Putnams, who were accusers, on my father side. Salem is great, if a little touresty. One of my favorite funny signs is there, or at least it was last time I was there. Bunghole Liquors(I'm 12)..If you are out as far as Salem, I hightly recommend Rockport and Glaucester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe