Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

I think the whole envy-thing is something that stems from immediately after WWII. Then the QOL was the biggest between Western Europe and North America that it's ever been. The US and Canada got extremely rich while Europe suffered from all kinds of shortages and total devastation. Another reason might be the earlier demographic and financial situations that stimulated emigration to America. For example the aftermath of the Irish potato famine and the terrible living conditions in Southern Italy. In most parts of Europe, like Sweden, France and Austria-Hungary, the situation wasn't nearly as bad. And as always, Europe got on their feet.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
I can't speak for the whole Europe. But in France people now tend to leave the cities to go back to the countryside. Cities are a bit out of fashion and people want to live closer to the nature and have more space.
Then why does France get a stereotype as being a culture that loves its cities?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think the whole envy-thing is something that stems from immediately after WWII. Then the QOL was the biggest between Western Europe and North America that it's ever been. The US and Canada got extremely rich while Europe suffered from all kinds of shortages and total devastation. Another reason might be the earlier demographic and financial situations that stimulated emigration to America. For example the aftermath of the Irish potato famine and the terrible living conditions in Southern Italy. In most parts of Europe, like Sweden, France and Austria-Hungary, the situation wasn't nearly as bad. And as always, Europe got on their feet.
I thought Sweden had a very high emigration rate to the US.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought suburban-style development is somewhat out of style in Europe, with the trend towards infill and transit. Population growth in Europe is slow enough that there won't be too many big changes.
In Finland it definitely is. I don't know what happened, but the suburbanisation just stopped in the late 90's. Nowadys all major cities are trying to make the downtowns and inner cities more dense, and even among families city life is more lucrative than suburban housing. For example in Helsinki, the district of Punavuori is one of the priciest and most dense areas in the country, with 56k people per sq miles.

One reason might be that of the younger generations 95% have been growing up in urbanish areas, and 85% in urban areas, and they don't crave for suburbia anymore, but want to be close to restaurants, culture and not to be car-dependent. And as we have a strong summer cottage culture, people get their "rural refuge" on holidays, but everyday life wants to be in the city.

Quote:
I thought Sweden had a very high emigration rate to the US.
It had, but it was mostly because semi-automatisation robbed a lot of people of their livelyhood, and the unemployment was high. But it's not like living was hell for everybody.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Yes but for a segment of the French population it's like they were more museum pieces (à la Venice) than actual places to live. Though I don't think this perception will go as far as to put great French cities in peril.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
. And as we have a strong summer cottage culture, people get their "rural refuge" on holidays, but everyday life wants to be in the city.

This is actually a pretty good balance.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I like to think that I live a hybrid lifestyle. I have a 37.5 hour per week steady Government job with 3 weeks vacation, 5 weeks sick, healthcare, pension, etc and also am a real estate agent on the side. I live frugally in a 1000 square foot rowhome near the train into Center City, the Wissahickon park and close to my job. I own my car but often bike to work. I live in Philadelphia-a dense walkable city built before cars with tiny one way streets, rowhomes, ethnic enclaves, cobblestones, outdoor food markets, street cafes, byobs, etc.

I also love some classic American pasttimes like taking long roadtrips, camping, bbqing on the grill, American sports, concerts and festivals, our beach culture, our marijuana culture. Americans should work less and travel more though.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I also love some classic American pasttimes like taking long roadtrips, camping, bbqing on the grill, American sports, concerts and festivals, our beach culture, our marijuana culture. Americans should work less and travel more though.
I haven't heard of that as distinctly American, but maybe it is. Read somewhere Canadians smoke slightly more marijuana than Americans, but the difference probably disappears once the South is excluded.

Chapter 2, State Estimates of Substance Use and Mental Disorders from the 2009-2010 National Surveys on Drug Use and Health [see Figure 2.1]

The impression I got from Amsterdam, was that the locals don't believe it should be completely banned but they wouldn't use it much themselves. Colorado and Washington on the other hand...

Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
I haven't heard of that as distinctly American, but maybe it is. Read somewhere Canadians smoke slightly more marijuana than Americans, but the difference probably disappears once the South is excluded.

Chapter 2, State Estimates of Substance Use and Mental Disorders from the 2009-2010 National Surveys on Drug Use and Health [see Figure 2.1]

The impression I got from Amsterdam, was that the locals don't believe it should be completely banned but they wouldn't use it much themselves. Colorado and Washington on the other hand...
Haha, right and that is my same impression too although I have not been to Amsterdam yet. It is also supposedly rare to smoke MJ by itself in Europe while Americans like to keep their weed and tobacco separate. And now that you mention it, it may just be a "North American" weed culture, because Canada has a very strong weed culture with BC bud being some of the best in the World and many Mexicans love to smoke too.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Does it? From an insider point of view, it sure doesn't. Cities aren't popular among most individuals above, say, 30. One of my friends moved to a 500k city in the Province because she couldn't find a job in Paris, now she want to move back ASAP because "there aren't as much entertainment options". Among couples with children, the reverse is true. The "build a home with a garden" dream is alive and well.

Here's the consequence:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=al%C3%...oussillon&z=16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe