Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm wishing we could go during fall colours but we need to be in Michigan while the grandkids are out of school for summer.

Who knows, maybe a meetup?
THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! Did you know that I've never actually met anyone from a forum? I mean, I've communicated with a few over the years outside of the internet but never actually met anyone in person. We need to stay in touch about our plans. It would be a shame for us both to be on the same continent and not try to get together!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
True! The first time I held that baby and thought this is the baby of my baby, I was hooked...she kept focusing on my eyes and we totally bonded.
That's exactly how I felt when I held my first grandchild. And I got to give her her first bath, and boy did she hate it! She was screaming and her feet were sticking straight out one end and her hair was sticking straight out the other! LOL but as soon as I finished and swaddled her up and sat down with her in a rocking chair, she snugged right up and looked up at me quietly and seriously, and my heart absolutely melted.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! Did you know that I've never actually met anyone from a forum? I mean, I've communicated with a few over the years outside of the internet but never actually met anyone in person. We need to stay in touch about our plans. It would be a shame for us both to be on the same continent and not try to get together!
One person I befriended on CD turned out to be someone I barely knew from high school. We're a few years apart, but had some friends in common. I'm in my late 20s, so high school isn't super distant for me.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? Finnish chocolate is better than Swiss? Or is Fazer some kind of German name? I've gotta try this.
No. Swiss and especially Belgian are the only chocolates that trumps Finnish.

But as you dissed the 60's projects, in one of I'm living currently, I'll show you something nice from my city :

Spoiler

I like it here.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. Swiss and especially Belgian are the only chocolates that trumps Finnish.

But as you dissed the 60's projects, in one of I'm living currently, I'll show you something nice from my city :
I'm in love!

Where is this? Turku?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
I second this. I love hearing that people are happy where they've chosen to live - or where life has taken them. I sincerely WANT people to love their countries, their states, their cities, their towns, etc. I don't take any pleasure in criticizing where others live or perpetrating negative, and often inaccurate, stereotypes or misconceptions. What's the point? I'd rather focus on the positives.

For instance, on this thread - I've really enjoyed looking at the photos of other people's cities, areas, etc. I don't consider it any sort of contest, because of COURSE different people like different settings and climates and have different expectations of amenities. Why would I want to make fun of their personal preferences or try to make them feel inferior or silly for rejoicing in what they love about their home and their country?
Agree...on ALL of it!

Quote:
`We hit 85 last summer for about a week. That's our heat wave. We are having the warmest consistent weather here this summer - many sunny days in the 70's. Pure bliss.

It rarely gets to freezing here but still you feel chilled to the bone with the wind. Nice to watch (from indoors) the loch get really wild with big waves though!

How is it so cool in the Smokies this time of year? I lived in Knoxville for 10 years which isn't far from the Smokies and it was 90 every day in summer. I'd have to say of all the climates I've lived in, East TN was my favourite. Winters were mild with occasional blizzards followed by 60 degrees, summers were hot - too hot - but spring and autumn was perfect.

We'll be spending Dec. and Jan. on an island in Thailand where the temps during the day are about 85 and cooler at night.
Perfect time to visit Thailand...perrr-feccct!

Quote:
I've really enjoyed the insights into other peoples' lives, without the debating, and I hope we can continue this attitude and conversation!

I'll check in later, of course. C-D is my guilty pleasure - that and one square of dark chocolate every night!
ME TOO!...including the dark chocolate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No problem. Those were taken on two hillsides, the spring ones near the centre and the summer ones from a hill in the outskirts overlooking the University grounds and some suburbs.

Well, night shots, I'd love to take them, but my camera really doesn't have the power to get anything good. But if you have good equipment, you can get some nice ones, like:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wjZe1zJIOj...0/DSCN3258.JPG
http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userp...__MG_17620.jpg
http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userp...__MG_17623.jpg
http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/373241/4/373248.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...9619.jpg?gl=FI

And as this is Finland, nature is never far away: Ok, I'll stop now.
Please don't stop...really Ariete, VERY, VERY nice indeed!

Quote:
Cheers! From the many Scots and English I've spoken to during my 14 years here I get the distinct impression that many think the US is just like the movies. For many people, the country you don't live in or have never been to seems exotic.

I see how they could think that...however, fortunately you may be able to set the record straight for them (and us too, I might add)!

I should have said I've been told (by some Dutch as well as others) that the landscape in NL is boring, not the country itself. Of course, during tulip season I wouldn't say that. I've only been to the airport and gone through by coach so can't say for myself.
It can happen...sometimes what my sister finds boring I find peaceful and serene...different strokes and all that! Sometimes, I think to myself...

What a wonderful world - LOUIS ARMSTRONG. - YouTube

Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I wish I had the time to post pics of Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia. There are so many interesting places here that you will likely never get to see, even if you come here as a tourist (heck, even if you live here). And that makes me sad.

Oh well, maybe some other time.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm in love!

Where is this? Turku?
Yes, all are from Turku and the immediate surroundings. All are inside city limits. Of course they are cherrypicked, so that the 60's projects aren't in the lead role, but there's a lot of hidden gems here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Please don't stop...really Ariete, VERY, VERY nice indeed!
Oh no, I'll keep documenting, mostly for myself, as after living my first 25 years in Helsinki, I didn't manage a single picture anywhere I lived. Now I've decided to simply hop on my bike and take pictures of anything that encounters me. This isn't really an appropriate thread, I'll think I post them in the weather forum's 'summer photo thread' and in the other topics 'post your family and fun photos here' thread, so if you're interested, take a look there at some point. (A lot of great pictures there). But if you guys like my photos I'm happy to share, despite not being very professional.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
I totally agree and feel the same about "the European lifestyle" (whatever that's supposed to be - just like "the American lifestyle" it differs so dramatically for each individual it's ridiculous to even make such generalizations). After living in Europe and visiting so many countries so many times, I realize that no matter where I am, I'm the same person and my locale doesn't determine my happiness. I can expand my horizons, learn new things, miss old things, build my own daily routine, but at the end of the day, my happiness and contentment depend on my own character.

Just like where I live in the US, of course I have my preferences, ESPECIALLY when it comes to proximity to family, economic stability, and weather. I'd say those three things are the biggest factors I consider when determining where to live. Once those boxes are ticked, I start narrowing things down - type of home I prefer and affordability, type of neighborhood, taxes, amenities, schools, etc.

So there you have it - and I guess that's why I'm so happy right where I'm at! And like I've said before, I sincerely hope that everyone on this thread feels the exact same way. Jealousy isn't called the ugly green monster for nothing. And in my experience, when someone starts criticizing and tearing down other people and their choices, it's often a sign of deep seated personal insecurities or unhappiness. I've never understood that compulsion in people - it's like the only way they can build themselves up is to tear others down. "Well, look how much YOU suck - guess that means I'm superior!" Silly, sad little mindset.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I'd assume Texas would have more humidity problems.
A huge portion of Texas is almost desert. The difference between east and west Texas is like night and day. East Texas has pine forests and rice fields. West Texas has rocky deserts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe