Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 01:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Cheers!

From the many Scots and English I've spoken to during my 14 years here I get the distinct impression that many think the US is just like the movies. .
I suspect that people all over the world who have not traveled think other countries are just like what they see in the movies.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:57 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I suspect that people all over the world who have not traveled think other countries are just like what they see in the movies.
I would agree with that.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:02 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Movies? Well, I was once Spider Man in a former life. I swear.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:03 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! Did you know that I've never actually met anyone from a forum? I mean, I've communicated with a few over the years outside of the internet but never actually met anyone in person. We need to stay in touch about our plans. It would be a shame for us both to be on the same continent and not try to get together!
I've met quite a few. Only one bad experience - a compulsive talker. I have met a lot of American expats in the UK, some of whom I am still friends with. And a couple of them from a baby boomers forum. Might meet one in Michigan this summer. Oh, and the best one - met husband online. Not a forum though.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A huge portion of Texas is almost desert. The difference between east and west Texas is like night and day. East Texas has pine forests and rice fields. West Texas has rocky deserts.
yes, but I was referring to Kathyrn's neighborhood library, which is in East Texas

Old 07-13-2014, 02:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I've met quite a few. Only one bad experience - a compulsive talker. I have met a lot of American expats in the UK, some of whom I am still friends with. And a couple of them from a baby boomers forum. Might meet one in Michigan this summer. Oh, and the best one - met husband online. Not a forum though.

OH my gosh, I met my husband online too! Our first date we hit it off like we'd known each other all our lives, and we got married about ten months later. It's been a great ride! Crazy thing is, we only lived about 20 miles apart and we'd been probably walking past each other for years because we knew some of the same people, frequented some of the same places...but it took match.com for us to actually meet. I would have sworn there was not a man in east Texas that I was interested in - I thought I had met everyone I would have had the slightest thing in common with. I was wrong!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:33 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
These trolling threads - which are too frequent here - can bring out a lot of animosity between anonymous posters. That is unfortunate, but entirely unnecessary.

I started posting on a Las Vegas message board (which no longer exists) about 15 years ago and since have belonged to several others. They usually devolved into small social boards that would organize periodic meets in Vegas so we could get to know each other as real people.

Some of us have built very good friendships over the years to the point where we visit each others homes and tour the respective communities/states/provinces.

Some of you people might change your perspective if y'all did the same - and quit bashing places you know little about.

Just saying.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Whatever, the WC final seems to be enough to follow with one eye only, so some parks, greenery and randomness them, as the rep points indicated people like my photos. Note also that taking photos here is always fighting against the sun angle, as we peak at 54 degrees, which is the solar angle of NYC on 1 April. The pictures earlier taken on 24 May was the first really warm day of the spring, peaking at 85F, so I decided to take my tour approaching the sunset, as I wasn't really acclimatised.

Spoiler

And the 'Hansa' shopping centre is a real jewel IMO. Built in an old block inner yard in 3 stories, and with a glass roof. 24/7/365 comfortable shopping.

The only area that survived the great fire of 1827 that destroyed 90% of the city:

This is how people lived in the 18th century:

Lush suburbia:

An inner yards can be as well:

More modern suburbia:

Hero taking a break:

Booze cruise, but only on the river:

And finally some early autumn colours:

Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
that place looks really nice. it reminds me of where I lived in suburban japan.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I love the one of the part of town that survived the fire. The wooden homes. Nice shopping mall, too.

The colder parts of Canada have really fancy indoor malls, with lots of skylights, fountains, modern design. It seems Canadian architects build beautiful indoor public spaces to provide pleasant environments for people to spend time during the harsh winters. They're very inviting. I've never seen anything like that in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe