Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
c

That's not possible. We Americans know the French are nearly communist, what with your universal health care, mandatory vacation days, paid long term maternity leave, day care and free universities.

My French friends are all so jealous of my American freedom
LOL. Same for UK. I really miss all those co-pays I had in the US. And those short vacations.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM

192 posts, read 269,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
A friend of mine is a Mopar car enthusiast and also a huge fan of John Wayne. Previous cars include Neon, Patriot, Durango and now he has a Nitro. He even recommended a Sebring for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxB3PPjnAw

Old 08-07-2014, 12:51 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Dodge is owned by Chrysler; which is now Chrysler-Fiat. Up until 2009, nobody in the Detroit area drove a Fiat.
This explains why just in the last couple of years, I've suddenly started to see Fiats on the roads. They're kind of cool-looking, but in the more distant past, they were never regarded as quality cars. A lot of them were built in the former Czechoslovakia, and looked like tinny east-european cars.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:54 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
LOL. Same for UK. I really miss all those co-pays I had in the US. And those short vacations.
Vacation length really depends on the employer, and the job/profession. I've always had a month for vacation. That's the norm among my friends, too. Maybe it's mainly small businesses that can only afford to give employees 2 weeks?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Vacation length really depends on the employer, and the job/profession. I've always had a month for vacation. That's the norm among my friends, too. Maybe it's mainly small businesses that can only afford to give employees 2 weeks?
Many Americans say the reason they never travel abroad is because they only get 2 weeks vacation. No, it isn't just small businesses - it's a huge complaint among many Americans. I worked for a major newspaper and only got 1 week a year. Worked for a state university and I got a LOT more. In the UK I got 4 weeks from day 1 no matter what level the job.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This explains why just in the last couple of years, I've suddenly started to see Fiats on the roads. They're kind of cool-looking, but in the more distant past, they were never regarded as quality cars. A lot of them were built in the former Czechoslovakia, and looked like tinny east-european cars.
Yes, I see a lot of Fiat commercials now

Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM

192 posts, read 269,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ They are wooden because they are old - build hundreds years ago. Very solid.

In the USA most of them are wooden, and build now:
2x4 lumber, covered on the outside with an OSB sheathing, or plywood.
Inside you get a sheetrock, a half-inch layer of plaster or gypsum sandwiched between two thick sheets of paper, that can't support even a small picture.
Floors are covered by tar paper or 4-mil-thick plastic as a vapor barrier and then by 5/8-inch particle board.
After that the detailing is just a show: molding, mock stucco and other fancies. Houses have fancy fronts (curb appeal), but their side and back walls have cheaper, generic finish.
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) is part of the detailing, and it can be cut or molded to create many shapes like arches, columns, window details and sculptures. It can also be used to create elaborate architectural designs, ornate facades or soffits.
European houses have the same finish all around.
HowStuffWorks "How House Construction Works"

So, when you look at the material used, you should wonder why the houses are so expensive.

Oh, and don't forget the a double garage dominating the front of the house. And the tacky McMansions.

Something to envy? I don't think so.
I agree with you completely. Newer American houses are cr@p.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, I see a lot of Fiat commercials now
I don't know if this a new thing, but I've recently been noticing a lot of Fiats here. Don't know if that's just because I've seen a new model I really like or because there's a sudden influx.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I don't know if this a new thing, but I've recently been noticing a lot of Fiats here. Don't know if that's just because I've seen a new model I really like or because there's a sudden influx.
I went to Italy and we rented a Fiat. That was in 2011. Ever since then I have noticed them more. I don't know if it's because there are more here or if it's because I notice them now, because we drove one.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I went to Italy and we rented a Fiat. That was in 2011. Ever since then I have noticed them more. I don't know if it's because there are more here or if it's because I notice them now, because we drove one.
I like driving very small cars and ours is bigger than I like, so I've been noticing a certain model of very small Fiat - I think it's a Panda. Just googled - a new one is £12,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe