Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 02:13 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. If Americans would take the difference between what they pay in taxes/cost of living compared to what Europeans have, and save/invest the difference (probably about 20% of income), they would have the same or better economic security as Europeans. Problem is, Americans don't do that and many/most insist that it can't be done.
It's so difficult to compare, because Americans who have kids have to save for their college educations. Then there are all the co-pay expenses relating to medical insurance. If you have a hospitalization, or even an expensive blood test, you end up owing hundreds of $$ (thousands, in the case of surgery) out of pocket, even with "good" insurance.

And the only way low earners can save for retirement, especially if they have kids, is by taking on a second job. It's not that they're wasting their money. It's that the cost of living, rents and real estate especially, has increased way beyond any increase in wages. In fact, according to economists, wages have remained stagnant since the early 90's. There's something very wrong with that picture, because corporate profits, and CEO pay, have skyrocketed at the same time that wages stopped increasing.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:21 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some of this is a relatively new problem. Back when unions were strong (before Pres. Reagan began union-busting), low-skilled workers had good benefits, and a decent vacation. Part of the problem now is that the unions have been weakened, and many businesses refuse to hire union labor. Certain grocery store chains, for example.
Yeah, in US the government busts unions, here the unions busts governments. Ok, they are a bit too strong and inflexible for my taste, but they've done a lot good.

70% of the population belongs to a trade unon. The biggest one a million members, almost 20% of the population, so it carries quite a lot of weight.

Quote:
And the only way low earners can save for retirement, especially if they have kids, is by taking on a second job. It's not that they're wasting their money. It's that the cost of living, rents and real estate especially, has increased way beyond any increase in wages. In fact, according to economists, wages have remained stagnant since the early 90's. There's something very wrong with that picture, because corporate profits, and CEO pay, have skyrocketed at the same time that wages stopped increasing.
Part of the lifestyle many Americans have is made possible by the working underclass. There's always a Mexican ready to flip burgers, do landscaping, be a maid, or work the counter for $5.25 an hour. In Europe this is mostly impossible, as labour costs are high, so the prices are accordingly. And most landscaping, repairing houses and maid work is black economy anyways, and won't help the tax base in any way. Then the same people collect benefits.
The CEO's incomes have skyrocketed here as well, it's mostly due to the global change in these things.

I don't say you should be guilty for it, but that is one of the reasons.

Last edited by Ariete; 08-07-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
We have that here too. It just depends on your employer. It starts out with a week and gets longer with more years of experience if you work for a good company.

My husband is at 5 weeks and 10 days sick + holidays.
Yes, I have this also. Almost 5 weeks, plus 12 sick days. But I work in the public sector and that type of benefit is unheard of in the private sector in the U.S. and most certainly isn't universal like it is in Europe.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, most and furmost I envy the entrepreneurial spirit and the "self made man" ideal. For example here people try to play very safe even if they have something amazing on their hands. The second is that you're allowed to fail. If you declare bankrupcty, people will try again and get some support from their friends and family. Here people say "well, I told you you'll fail", and if a person files for bankruptcy another time, he will probably commit suicide.
This seems to be one of those things where it's very hard to get a happy medium. In a lot of European countries, they are afraid to take any risk. This is not good. But Americans take a lot of really dumb risks, which isn't good, either. Most people in America who file bankruptcy once will do it twice....because people tend to not change their thinking/habits. This is also not good.

Quote:
Third, I like the holiday celebrations Catbelle mentioned as well.
Don't you celebrate holidays in Europe?

Quote:
Fourth, I like the community themed life. Here you don't even know your neighbors, and the communities are excluded to common pastime activities, like playing in a soccer team.
Actually, there are lots of places in America where people don't know their neighbors, either.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:34 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Quote:
Whole Foods is non-union. And so, notoriously, is Wal-Mart. The union grocery cashier jobs pay much more. I don't know how vacations compare.

My (state) university job started, I think, at around 3 weeks/year (15 days, maybe a little less). After about 3 years, it increased to 20 days pretty quickly. Then you could combine that with national holidays, like Thanksgiving and Christmas, to stretch it to almost 5 weeks. I've never heard of 6 days off at Xmas, though! 2 + the weekend is all I've ever encountered.

Yes, faculty is in a class of its own in that regard. And university librarians are considered "faculty", where I worked. I had a friend who got unbelievable vacation benefits as a librarian!
Xmas was xmas eve and day and then 4 days not including any weekend. This was in TN.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Whole Foods is non-union. And so, notoriously, is Wal-Mart. The union grocery cashier jobs pay much more. I don't know how vacations compare.

My (state) university job started, I think, at around 3 weeks/year (15 days, maybe a little less). After about 3 years, it increased to 20 days pretty quickly. Then you could combine that with national holidays, like Thanksgiving and Christmas, to stretch it to almost 5 weeks. I've never heard of 6 days off at Xmas, though! 2 + the weekend is all I've ever encountered.

Yes, faculty is in a class of its own in that regard. And university librarians are considered "faculty", where I worked. I had a friend who got unbelievable vacation benefits as a librarian!
I refuse to shop at a Walmart when I visit the US.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This seems to be one of those things where it's very hard to get a happy medium. In a lot of European countries, they are afraid to take any risk. This is not good. But Americans take a lot of really dumb risks, which isn't good, either. Most people in America who file bankruptcy once will do it twice....because people tend to not change their thinking/habits. This is also not good.

Don't you celebrate holidays in Europe?
Yeah, in my country is on the other side of the spectrum. Some companies (usually small) that may have something on their hands say: "f*** it. Nobody's gonna buy it anyway, let's just sit on our 5k payrolls until we die". And it's not like we can't invent things. I've heard that Finland has the highest valid patents per capita in the world. On the other hand, the only ones who usually file for bankruptcy are young kids who can't handle credit cards. For that reason bankruptcy is such a big social stigma as it is.

I explained this, I think. In America where the holidays can be the only ones you get, people tend to take all out from it. Here, where you get 5 weeks, a special holiday is a just one of many, and maybe just come all together. You can visit family some other time. On Boxing Day there's nothing anymore to do than argue over Monopoly.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 PM

192 posts, read 269,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So yeah, it's one thing to move to France after you've retired and you've got a pension and a 401K kicking out. It's an entirely different thing to be young and ambitious in France. The career prospects are just not the same.
I'm a structural engineer. Due to a childhood injury, I was unable to get health insurance for myself and my children after my husband died. Employers didn't want to hire me knowing that having me on payroll with my 'pre-existing condition' would send their insurance premiums sky high.

I moved to Scotland to work in 2001. Later I moved to England, after which I was transferred to France where I now live (and work).

After paying for the co-pays and treatment 'not covered' under my late husband's insurance policy, I was dead broke when I left the US. Between 2001 and 2008 I managed to make enough to buy a Glasgow red sandstone flat in the West End, as well as buying out my cousins' interests in a manoir and farm on the coast of Brittany. All that, I I still have hefty savings and investments.

My son went to medical school in France at no cost to him or me other than the taxes I pay, and graduated with no debt. The same is/will be true for all my children. They will never have to worry about paying for medical care if they get hit by an uninsured drunk driver, or going bankrupt if one of their children is born with a birth defect.

Illness and injury can happen to any 'young and ambitious' American. It can even happen to you.

Life in the US is like playing Chutes and Ladders. No thanks!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
I'm a structural engineer. Due to a childhood injury, I was unable to get health insurance for myself and my children after my husband died. Employers didn't want to hire me knowing that having me on payroll with my 'pre-existing condition' would send their insurance premiums sky high.

I moved to Scotland to work in 2001. Later I moved to England, after which I was transferred to France where I now live (and work).

After paying for the co-pays and treatment 'not covered' under my late husband's insurance policy, I was dead broke when I left the US. Between 2001 and 2008 I managed to make enough to buy a Glasgow red sandstone flat in the West End, as well as buying out my cousins' interests in a manoir and farm on the coast of Brittany. All that, I I still have hefty savings and investments.

My son went to medical school in France at no cost to him or me other than the taxes I pay, and graduated with no debt. The same is/will be true for all my children. They will never have to worry about paying for medical care if they get hit by an uninsured drunk driver, or going bankrupt if one of their children is born with a birth defect.

Illness and injury can happen to any 'young and ambitious' American. It can even happen to you.

Life in the US is like playing Chutes and Ladders. No thanks!
I love having the NHS as I grow old. Never have to think about healthcare costs.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
Envy? Hell, no! They have beautiful scenery and great musical talent. No doubt. But, look at their health care system. What a joke! Docs are forcing sick patients trough all kinds of un necessary lab tests etc. and are trying to jack up the final bill as much as possible. But that's what happens when you make health care a business.
Correction: That's what happens when you have a private, non-competitive market in health care whereby the consumer does not know or care about the cost because it is paid for by a 3rd party (either the government or an insurance company). This is the OPPOSITE of a free market, which America has not had in health care in 70 years. And when we did, health care costs were like 5% of GDP instead of 18% like they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe