Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
One of the reasons why people are flocking again to the cities here are that they are quite different from the old downtowns in France. Much greener, less dense and tbh, much more bike-friendly as well. All that matters to people.

Like this in Turku: https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.45143...2xZC20rJIA!2e0

This in Helsinki: https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.17128...LI1xh5EhtQ!2e0

And this in Tampere: https://www.google.fi/maps/@61.50035...6Pxh59jgmw!2e0

Instead of this: https://www.google.fi/maps/@45.75525...bMZzufqBQw!2e0

I just took a street on random in Lyon, and I definitely know people in some areas live a lot denser in poor conditions with terrible insulation and soundproofing. I love city life, but can't take it if some moron is having an argument every night so that I can't sleep.
The streets in Finland are definitely spacier and more airy, but I don't see them as being significantly greener. A tree here and there maybe but that's basically it. When I zoom out of the Lyon shot there are large, significant green areas not that far away. The area you picked is the old densely-developed island that is the heart of the city. Most of Lyon is not like this I gather.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:20 PM

59 posts, read 72,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Canada is a good country, and I have always got on well with Canadians, they seem more like the Brits/Irish, Australians and Kiwis in their outlook and are also far more European in many ways than most of the rest of the North America
Please don't lump the Irish in with the English or Canadians. I prefer most Americans and their openess.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Could some inner suburbs be a good compromise for families?
Not really. The people who have lived all their lives in cities want to stay in the cities (but with both greenery and close to services). The biggest problem is the commie-block suburbs that don't attract anyone anymore and nobody knows what to do with them. And despite everything being more and more digitalised, commuting time is taken into more consideration than it was in the 90's with fax and old-fashioned phones. And considering that I'm living in the 3rd largest urban area in the country with just 300,000 people, the inner suburbs can't be much of an stretch, as it's close to the city anyway.

I don't know why this is, something just... happened. In my city the areas within the original grid plan are the most expensive, only rivalling those few locations that are on the coast. Maybe people want more people around them, want to be more ecological, want to feel being a part of the community they couldn't create in the suburbs. I don't know. But the truth is that all major cities in Finland have been growing since the late 90's while the whole suburbanism reached its peak in the 80's.

The city planners are quite amazed by the sudden rush back to the cities, and nobody knows why that is. The cities are doing their best of doing the cities more liveable again after a 30-year-loss of population. And I know some circles of our city planning department are terrified by this opportunity. What do the city offer and what do we have to offer them?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I don't know why this is, something just... happened. In my city the areas within the original grid plan are the most expensive, only rivalling those few locations that are on the coast. Maybe people want more people around them, want to be more ecological, want to feel being a part of the community they couldn't create in the suburbs. I don't know. But the truth is that all major cities in Finland have been growing since the late 90's while the whole suburbanism reached its peak in the 80's.

The city planners are quite amazed by the sudden rush back to the cities, and nobody knows why that is. The cities are doing their best of doing the cities more liveable again after a 30-year-loss of population. And I know some circles of our city planning department are terrified by this opportunity. What do the city offer and what do we have to offer them?
Are cities in Finland building new housing to keep up? With smaller household size, even constant population is hard to pull off. It's hard to squeeze in new housing in an old, built out city. Where does the growth go?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:50 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Are cities in Finland building new housing to keep up? With smaller household size, even constant population is hard to pull off. It's hard to squeeze in new housing in an old, built out city. Where does the growth go?
Can't speak for Turku or Finland in general, but here in Vienna they recently extended one of the metro lines by four stations and are now building a completely new district where a dysfunctional airport used to be.

Past: File:Flugfeld Aspern.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Present: File:Wien - Seestadt, SW-Areal 2013.JPG - Wikimedia Commons
Future: http://images05.oe24.at/seestadt.jpg...ch2/63.227.624

Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Ok, great! So what are you using the rooms for, if there's just you and your life partner and the dog? Can you approximately define how big the kitchen, dining room (what the hell is that, we don't have those here ) and the living room are? Just for comparison.

Personally, I think the traditionally more cramped living conditions in Europe has left a stain on how homes should be like, and people with families don't even want to have more space than they really need. My mother and stepfather are very comfortably upper middle-class, but when we moved to that house some 20 years ago, it was all we needed. My room (which is now my brother's), is just a 140 sq ft small room, but it did the trick, and I never craved for more space. And neither does my brother until he decides to fly away. Anyway, we lingered around in the kitchen, the living room or the yard in summer.

Couples that move together and aren't planning on getting kids in the near future usually buy or rent one-bedroom homes that are in the range of around 540-650 sq ft. And this is for all income levels. Most Finnish cities had an average minimum housing restriction of 810 sq ft an apartment, known as the infamous 75 m2 rule, but that was dropped some 5 years ago, as single people and couples wanted smaller apartments, and simply people don't want to pay for more space that they need.
Interesting. Yeah, to be honest I don't use the dining room much as my kitchen is a nice size and is eat-in but the dining room is pretty much connected to the living room with just an archway separating the two rooms. I live with my sister so we each have our own bedroom; the third bedroom I have rented out to friends in the past but is currently used as a music room/library and guests often stay there.

I do like the "extra space" for guests and it has been great for several travelling couchsurfers (from Poland, Ukraine, US, Sweden). Most suburban Americans would think I live in a tiny home but I don't need any more space-maybe land to grow things though.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
All cities with more than 100,000 people within city limits are. Helsinki is planning to build housing for some 150,000 people in the next 15 years, which would make it the the largest growing European city after London and Stockholm. In the optimistic estimations Helsinki can grow unto 950,000 people in 2050 without changing any municipal boundaries, and that would beat all cities in the Western European world. (Possibly not London if keeping up with the ever-growing trend)

My city Turku, is preparing for housing 15,000 new inhabitants in the next 15 years only within the 2 mile x 1.25 mile centre area, so the parking lots just have to go, no matter what the nimbys say.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
A dining room is for entertaining dinner guests, for those who have never seen one. It's for relatively formal occasions, when one might hire a cook and invite the boss from work, and work colleagues (this used to be one way people advanced in their careers), or relatives for a holiday dinner, or one's friends for a special occasion. The family also might use the dining room for ... you guessed it, dining, while the kitchen would be used for breakfast and lunch.

As life has become more informal in the US, formal dining rooms are disappearing, or have been downsized to a corner of the living room. Kitchens, for that matter, are also being downsized to a corner of the living room. I hate this trend. Some of the kitchens are so small, they're difficult to use.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieTherese View Post
Please don't lump the Irish in with the English or Canadians. I prefer most Americans and their openess.
What are you going on about, Ireland is only 12 miles away from the mainland at the narrowest point and only a short flight away by plane, and contrary to many peoples warped view of the world the English and Irish don't hate each other. Indeed many English people have Irish ancestry with one in three individuals in places such as Manchester claiming Irish ancestry and cities such as Liverpool, Manchester, London, Birmingham, Newcastle etc all having substantial Irish communities. The fact being that more first generation Irish people live in England than any other country on earth.

Irish migration to Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The English are also quite open and have a good sense of humour.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM

131 posts, read 168,467 times
Well I'm not a European, but I am a American, I guess I could point out a thing or two I love about Europe

Everywhere you step you are looking at history...literally
The cities are BEAUTIFUL, they have the historic feeling to it, the cities in Spain, Italy and other coastal countries are even more beautiful then the ones a bit up north.
Free healthcare, but I try to keep in mind they are still technically paying for it, its just a choice for americans and not for Europeans
Better transportation
Better location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe