Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's really BS.

1) Junk food is cheap - no, I make decent wage and I don't think junk food is cheap. A simple meal costs at least $5, and the averge cost of every meal I make at home is probably $2-3.

People eat junk food because they are lazy. Plus, who asked them to get those king size pop? They could just drink water. Do you know how much calories those contain?

2) Quality grocery... are you kidding.
We don't need quality grocery like Whole Foods. We only need average grocery stores. Actually I don't buy all this organic food scam. There are plenty of grocery stores everywhere. Try Chinatowns - they are cheap and the quality is as good as typical western grocery store although the stores are not as clean.

3) No time to cook
what a lame excuse. We have all the modern cookware such as the stove, microwave and slow cookers, most with the function of pre-determined clock and timer.

I use a multifunction high pressure cooker (about $250). It takes 30 minutes to fully cook 2 pounds of beef, 15 minutes for chicken (during which time you can do other household chores). The vegetables can be fried or boiled in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

"After long days, feeding the family comes down to what’s quick and easy, and that’s usually not a homemade meal with fresh vegetables and whole grains." --- how lame is that. You can cook the meat the previous night, right? Vegetables take only a few minutes.

Instead, those people just order fa pizzas with extra cheese, or greesy takeouts from fake Chinese restaurants, or McDonalds with 2 liters of soda. How can they be not fat?

People in China, Thailand and Vietnam are not fat, and aren't they poorer than typical Americans? Do you have better access to "quality grocery"? Do they have shorter work hours?

All excuses. Being fat is a choice.
Good point. I have wondered this myself.

Walk into any Walmart in any small town USA and note the prices. A home cooked (healthy) meal is much cheaper than JUNK food. One of those crappy frozen meals or a meal at KFC is atleast $4.00 ..... but you can buy raw chicken for $4-5 (.5 lbs) at Walmart and cook it at home (maybe 2 meals!).

But the food desert thing is a reality for many. It can be hard for many people to even get to a grocery store that sells real food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Really.

Give me an example of a meal you make, what dates and times you purchase, how far the groceries are, and what dates and times you make it, and where (your apartment, who lives with you, etc.)

I doubt you will, because your circumstances are not the same as the majority of poor.

Quote:
that's really BS.

1) Junk food is cheap - no, I make decent wage and I don't think junk food is cheap. A simple meal costs at least $5, and the averge cost of every meal I make at home is probably $2-3.

People eat junk food because they are lazy. Plus, who asked them to get those king size pop? They could just drink water. Do you know how much calories those contain?

2) Quality grocery... are you kidding.
We don't need quality grocery like Whole Foods. We only need average grocery stores. Actually I don't buy all this organic food scam. There are plenty of grocery stores everywhere. Try Chinatowns - they are cheap and the quality is as good as typical western grocery store although the stores are not as clean.

3) No time to cook
what a lame excuse. We have all the modern cookware such as the stove, microwave and slow cookers, most with the function of pre-determined clock and timer.

I use a multifunction high pressure cooker (about $250). It takes 30 minutes to fully cook 2 pounds of beef, 15 minutes for chicken (during which time you can do other household chores). The vegetables can be fried or boiled in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

"After long days, feeding the family comes down to what’s quick and easy, and that’s usually not a homemade meal with fresh vegetables and whole grains." --- how lame is that. You can cook the meat the previous night, right? Vegetables take only a few minutes.

Instead, those people just order fa pizzas with extra cheese, or greesy takeouts from fake Chinese restaurants, or McDonalds with 2 liters of soda. How can they be not fat?

People in China, Thailand and Vietnam are not fat, and aren't they poorer than typical Americans? Do you have better access to "quality grocery"? Do they have shorter work hours?

All excuses. Being fat is a choice.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Really.

Give me an example of a meal you make, what dates and times you purchase, how far the groceries are, and what dates and times you make it, and where (your apartment, who lives with you, etc.)

I doubt you will, because your circumstances are not the same as the majority of poor.
How much does it cost to buy whole wheat bread, meat slices (nothing fancy), cheese (standard) and lettuce from a WallMart?

How many sandwiches can you make with this $10-15 purchase?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM

Completely unhealthy solution which satisfies hunger NOT AT ALL. Go back to the drawing board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
How much does it cost to buy whole wheat bread, meat slices (nothing fancy), cheese (standard) and lettuce from a WallMart?

How many sandwiches can you make with this $10-15 purchase?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Completely unhealthy solution which satisfies hunger NOT AT ALL. Go back to the drawing board.
lol! And a $10 KFC meal satisfies hunger and is a healthy solution? You know how many calories are needed by an average male/ female per day?

And here's a list of Over 30 recipes for under $3 .....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jj-vir...b_4838625.html

Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Really.

No matter how inconvenient it is, the fact is you only need to buy groceries once a week (or twice maximum). No matter how poor or how busy one is, he must has the time to do it once a week, right?

Today, I had some pork chops I made last night, along with some noodles and vegetable. I bring lunch to work, instead of eating all those high calory junk at the food court in the mall which normall costs $7-10. After work, I will prepare my food for today's dinner and tomorrow's lunch.

As I said, I am well paid but my monthly grocery bill is less than $300, in Canada's largest city.

If I were lazy, I could choose not to do anything, but simply eat some hamburger/two pizza slices full of saturated fat for lunch, and then head for KFC/PopEyes for some delicious fried chicken as dinner, with an oversized coke. Imagine the convenice of not having to do anything, including washing dishs. But then in 2 years, I will be 20 pounds heavier and by the age 50, I will have heart problems, which will be a burden for our healthcare system.

It is always a choice and I am proud of mine, and all the efforts I made to keep myself fit and healthy. I am in my early 30s and my weight is exactly the same as I was 18.

Fat people only have themselves to blame and obsesity has more to do with laziness than with wealth.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM

That suggestion was probably even WORSE for health than $10 KFC meal, and probably costs as much for the hunger it satisfies. Major, major fail. Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
lol! And a $10 KFC meal satisfies hunger and is a healthy solution? You know how many calories are needed by an average male/ female per day?

And here's a list of Over 30 recipes for under $3 .....

10 Strategies for Fat Loss and Healthy Eating on a Budget*|*JJ Virgin

Old 06-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
No matter how inconvenient it is, the fact is you only need to buy groceries once a week (or twice maximum). No matter how poor or how busy one is, he must has the time to do it once a week, right?

Today, I had some pork chops I made last night, along with some noodles and vegetable. I bring lunch to work, instead of eating all those high calory junk at the food court in the mall which normall costs $7-10. After work, I will prepare my food for today's dinner and tomorrow's lunch.

As I said, I am well paid but my monthly grocery bill is less than $300, in Canada's largest city.

If I were lazy, I could choose not to do anything, but simply eat some hamburger/two pizza slices full of saturated fat for lunch, and then head for KFC/PopEyes for some delicious fried chicken as dinner, with an oversized coke. Imagine the convenice of not having to do anything, including washing dishs. But then in 2 years, I will be 20 pounds heavier and by the age 50, I will have heart problems, which will be a burden for our healthcare system.

It is always a choice and I am proud of mine, and all the efforts I made to keep myself fit and healthy. I am in my early 30s and my weight is exactly the same as I was 18.

Fat people only have themselves to blame and obsesity has more to do with laziness than with wealth.
Again, you've been sheltered too long. You're out of touch and need to wake up to 2014. I suggest you begin by doing googling the prices of healthy food vs. trash. Once you've studied that, figure out nutritional value, then go to a poor neighborhood and spend about 2 weeks with a poor person to calculate time out of work (if the person has 2 or more jobs), travel costs, cooking time, availability of a kitchen, etc. Then return here and see what you can suggest. I guarantee it will not be any of what you posted above.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
That suggestion was probably even WORSE for health than $10 KFC meal, and probably costs as much for the hunger it satisfies. Major, major fail. Try again.
Your response is a joke. This is getting off topic and very ridiculous ...but ....
in what world is a home made sandwich worse than a typical KFC meal?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
This is indeed getting off topic. Please continue the conversation in an appropriate thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...aper-than.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe